Teez Tabor--Is His Long-Term Future at Safety

Just Want A Title

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

I have watched Teez Tabor since last year and I am convinced that his lack of foot speed makes him a better candidate for Safety than Cornerback.  I think his progression will be similar to Glover Quin who also started at Cornerback.  Thoughts?

Teez Tabor ran .06 seconds slower on the 40 yard dash than Richard Sherman at the combine while reportedly suffering from a hamstring injury. If Tabor can use his size and physicality the way Sherman has I think he can be a darn fine CB despite his lack of foot speed.

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:15 PM, Sllim Pickens said:

Its sad how bad our drafts have been. I feel like just about any of us could put together a better draft than BQ has.  Even just throwing darts or using a FF fan big board would net us better results.

Whoa whoa whoa lets just take 1 step back and remember the Millen ERA where he made exactly ONE good pick in roughly a decade

Quinn is atleast getting a couple decent players

1 hour ago, detroitlions72003 said:

Whoa whoa whoa lets just take 1 step back and remember the Millen ERA where he made exactly ONE good pick in roughly a decade

Quinn is atleast getting a couple decent players

I was not pinpointing an era.  We have drafted very few good players and to be fair, I give Millen credit for 5 good picks in his tenure, three of which were his first year.  The others were Avril and Calvin. Roy Williams was solid as well and netted us a good pick in return.  We are looking to have some decent picks under Quinn but its still early.  It still seems though that if you are drafted by the Lions outside of the 1st or second round (second round is even a stretch), you are destined to fail.

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I was not pinpointing an era.  We have drafted very few good players and to be fair, I give Millen credit for 5 good picks in his tenure, three of which were his first year.  The others were Avril and Calvin. Roy Williams was solid as well and netted us a good pick in return.  We are looking to have some decent picks under Quinn but its still early.  It still seems though that if you are drafted by the Lions outside of the 1st or second round (second round is even a stretch), you are destined to fail.

Avril was good you are right and Calvin was a no brainer (unless u r a Raiders GM) but I was moreso saying that atleast Quinn is drafting guys that can play and not guys 4 rounds early that fit a coaches scheme. Millen was the absolute worst.

1 hour ago, detroitlions72003 said:

Avril was good you are right and Calvin was a no brainer (unless u r a Raiders GM) but I was moreso saying that atleast Quinn is drafting guys that can play and not guys 4 rounds early that fit a coaches scheme. Millen was the absolute worst.

Well, to be honest I am not yet sold on Quinn's picks either.  Tabor has looked bad, Davis is iffy, A'Shawn looked promising but hasn't developed. Decker has been solid but nothing spectacular.  Golliday looks to be his shinning star pick so far.  As for people drafted too early, I think Golliday was one people initially thought he was, but they also drafted Walker, Roberts, Reeve's Maybin.... earlier than projected and their impact supports that.  The best 5 or so players on this team all were either drafted by Mayhew or signed by Mayhew (Stafford, Slay, Tate, Ziggy, Quin).  Not to say I like Mayhew either but pointing out that the impacts of Quinn's work has yet to really have been felt IMO, other than we are for once in a solid cap situation.

The one thing I noticed over the last two games is the Tracy Walker is getting some significant playing time.  He made a really nice play that was called back by the penalty on Diggs.  Seeing as Glover Quinn is getting up there in age, we really need him to develop sooner rather than later.  Reeves-Maybin made a really nice play also.  Desean Hand has been getting a lot of playing time and playing pretty well.  Ragnow is developing nicely and played pretty well against the Patriots.  I think Ragnow, Johnson, Reeves-Mayben, Walker and Hand are flashing and could really be important pieces of our team going forward.

He's 22 years old. Maybe let's see how he develops at CB before we decide he can't play there. While some come into the league and play well immediately, most take some time to develop. It will take time, especially in a defense like this. They run basically every kind of coverage and require good mental processing from the CB spot. Tabor will improve in that area with time.

8 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

He's 22 years old. Maybe let's see how he develops at CB before we decide he can't play there. While some come into the league and play well immediately, most take some time to develop. It will take time, especially in a defense like this. They run basically every kind of coverage and require good mental processing from the CB spot. Tabor will improve in that area with time.

That's the hope, but when you see very little improvement from year 1 to 2, which is usually the biggest leap, it doesn't give us much hope. 

Archived