Preseason Week 1 Vs Lions Good, Bad, Ugly

Silver&Black88

Really guys? Have we diverged so far from our ways that even @RaidersAreOne doesn't want to make this thread??

I only got to see bits and pieces of the game but heres what I noticed...

Good:
- Connor Cook.  Looked like a different guy.  Let's see if he can keep it up.
- PJ Hall. The sack obviously, but damn he's strong and has a nice first step.
- RBs all played well. Chris Warren might be tough to not have on the 53.
- Lots and lots of WRs.  Gonna be interesting to see who makes the roster there
- Worley pass break up
- Generally looked well coached
- Eddie P

Bad:
- LBs don't look very good. Wilber was not good in coverage.

Ugly:
- Fumbled snap

Hopefully people who watched more will post more details

28 minutes ago, daineraider said:

Outside of Millers unnecessary hold that called back Marshawns TD I was pretty happy with his play.  I hated the pick, but am hoping he proves me wrong(not very many of our other young picks have).

Would have like to seen him against Ansah. The level pass rusher he will see in the division is unreal, would have been a good test.

9 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Would have like to seen him against Ansah. The level pass rusher he will see in the division is unreal, would have been a good test.

Yeah and next week he won’t get any chance to double Aaron Donald, although the Rams do have some good DEs.  So he will at least get to go against some good players.  Going against Mack in practice would have been the best practice for the other guys in the division, but we don’t have that luxury right now either.  

6 minutes ago, daineraider said:

Yeah and next week he won’t get any chance to double Aaron Donald, although the Rams do have some good DEs.  So he will at least get to go against some good players.  Going against Mack in practice would have been the best practice for the other guys in the division, but we don’t have that luxury right now either.  

This is where Gruden’s offensive philosophy comes in to play, he’s going to  run double TE and then smash the D-line until they get tired.

He’ll also move the pocket and run quick routes to protect the QB.

• Connor Cook looks to be developing under Gruden. good fit in the system
  • Chris Warren looking like a steal
  • Deandre Washington and Richard looked good, Lynch looked explosive 
  • Wideouts stepping up Bryant, Switzer, Holton, and Ateman... Roberts might not make it through camp
  • Paul Butler with a good game
  • Kolton looked good minus the holding on the TD
  • PJ Hall looking like a stud
  • Bubble players Cowser and Calhoun got sacks
  • Whitehead and Lee looking like 2/3 of starters at LB, depth a concern
  • Nick Nelson was out there battling
  • Karl Joseph looked good
  • Eddy P looking legit
  • Coaching looks improved

7 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

On the Warren hype, the holes were big. As of now, I'd prefer to keep Dwash over him, until I see him show out against first team guys. Unpopular opinion, I know.

Thank you! This is an occurrence every year. One player gets some easy exposure and fans start calling him a "steal" and penciling him in on the roster. He was given some big holes to run through untouched to the second level. What I saw was a big back, slow feet not overly explosive who runs upright. I'm glad I'm not the only one sipping the koolaid on this guy. He became aa "steal" last week running over a LB in scrimmage and running through some open lanes. Let's pump the breaks. 

9 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

On the Warren hype, the holes were big. As of now, I'd prefer to keep Dwash over him, until I see him show out against first team guys. Unpopular opinion, I know.

Agree. I like Dwash man I dont know why we're eager to move on from him. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Thank you! This is an occurrence every year. One player gets some easy exposure and fans start calling him a "steal" and penciling him in on the roster. He was given some big holes to run through untouched to the second level. What I saw was a big back, slow feet not overly explosive who runs upright. I'm glad I'm not the only one sipping the koolaid on this guy. He became aa "steal" last week running over a LB in scrimmage and running through some open lanes. Let's pump the breaks. 

Us raider fans love us a good preseason hyped RB. Remember Louis Rankin and George Atkinson 

29 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Us raider fans love us a good preseason hyped RB. Remember Louis Rankin and George Atkinson 

lol... I wasn't going to name names, but yes. Max Vales, Breon Borders at other positions. First came the fans adding them to the 53 man roster because some team will surely sign them. Then the outrage when they were cut. Then the silence when nobody wanted them and they went to the practice squad. 

Preseason overreactions are my favorite time of year 

2 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Agree. I like Dwash man I dont know why we're eager to move on from him. 

Yeah but this is different with  defenses getting faster smaller  LB‘s for a pass coverage they are gone to be vulnerable to a big RB.

CW3 has 20-30 pounds on some of theses LBs.

3 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Yeah but this is different with  defenses getting faster smaller  LB‘s for a pass coverage they are gone to be vulnerable to a big RB.

CW3 has 20-30 pounds on some of theses LBs.

Not really unless they bring some speed to their game like Henry in Tennessee. Otherwise, they are just big slow targets. 

Counterpoint. Richard does a lot of what Wash does. Lynch is the closest thing we have to a bruiser but he's old. CW3 is at least PS worthy. Maybe 53 if he shows he can run less upright by virtue of offering something different than Wash. Regardless, holding onto 5 RBs including a FB is no guarantee for either guy

Archived