Preseason Week 1 Vs Lions Good, Bad, Ugly

Silver&Black88

1 minute ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Counterpoint. Richard does a lot of what Wash does. Lynch is the closest thing we have to a bruiser but he's old. CW3 is at least PS worthy. Maybe 53 if he shows he can run less upright by virtue of offering something different than Wash. Regardless, holding onto 5 RBs including a FB is no guarantee for either guy

This I buy. I think Richard is the better of he and Washington. So Washington is out and Warren goes to the PS. 

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

This I buy. I think Richard is the better of he and Washington. So Washington is out and Warren goes to the PS. 

Better at what though? 

Perhaps Richard is the better player all around, but despite their similar stature they really are quite different players. Richard a pass catching gadget type. Washington is a much better natural runner. 

When considering who will be cut you really have to consider the role either of them is or is not slated for. Where does either fit in this offense? And who else can fit that role? Something none of us knows one bit about. Richard isn't a much different player than a guy like Whalen or Switzer despite the difft. position. Wahsington is a definite RB though small.

Also gotta take into account, if Richard's fumbles come back at all in preseason that could be it for him just for that reason. 

I see the Running back spot like this:

1. Lynch- clear cut starting back, is a bull

2. Martin or Washington- both more of runners than receivers, Martin more a proven vet. I think Washington needs to win this battle, and he received a lot of pt to prove himself. Martin might get more of a workload week 2. Washington looked good on Friday

3. Richard- I see him more of a 3rd down passing catching back, and provides special teams depth

4.  Warren or Washington- both guys have to ball out to make the team. Warren is unique because of his elite size, and looks to bring the hammer as Gruden has started. only way we keep 4 back Washington or Warren have to really ball. We are not keeping more than 4, and Warren making it tough to keep him off the team. I would like him as a backup thunder to Lynch. 

4 hours ago, holyghost said:

Better at what though? 

Perhaps Richard is the better player all around, but despite their similar stature they really are quite different players. Richard a pass catching gadget type. Washington is a much better natural runner. 

When considering who will be cut you really have to consider the role either of them is or is not slated for. Where does either fit in this offense? And who else can fit that role? Something none of us knows one bit about. Richard isn't a much different player than a guy like Whalen or Switzer despite the difft. position. Wahsington is a definite RB though small.

Also gotta take into account, if Richard's fumbles come back at all in preseason that could be it for him just for that reason. 

Honestly I can't disagree with this either

Lynch is a lock.

Martin, Richard, Washington and Warren battles for 2 or 3 spots.

Since Martin saw minimal action he might have a sure spot...it will be interesting to see, whether he gets more PT in the upcoming games

Richard and Washington are pretty similar guys, so I guess they battle for the 3rd down RB spot

Warren might get a spot on the 53, if he shows up like he did in game 1 and also shows ST value, but his role is closer to the LYnch/Martin role then to the Richard/Washington role IMO, so with him the question is whether he puts on enough to warrant a 4th RB spot on the 53.

With Gruden's commitment to the running game it wouldn't shock me if we keep 4RBs and 1FB on the final roster. We could bring just 2 QBs easily IMO to "win" a roster spot.

10 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Honestly I can't disagree with this either

I can.

Washington has been terrible. Richard isn't a lot better, but he is better.  Outside of ball security, Richard has been better at everything else including running the ball. When 2 RBs average over 4 ypc and the 3rd one averages less than 3 ypc that says enough.

I think Warren makes the team because he offers something that Oakland doesn’t have and so far has had a good camp. With the offense we all assume we will see. Having a big RB like Warren would only make it a logical fit. I have Richard making the team over Washington because his ability to catch the ball. 

19 hours ago, holyghost said:

Better at what though? 

In his defense, a majority of his fumbles last year were as a punt returner and not at RB. And given that, he's been given essentially no looks at PR by this staff

2 hours ago, StocktonSav said:

In his defense, a majority of his fumbles last year were as a punt returner and not at RB. And given that, he's been given essentially no looks at PR by this staff

I hear ya. But a defense of him, or not, I'm not attempting. The staff will go with whomever they do for whatever reasons they have. Two years ago Richard was a key part of that year. Last year he way off that pace. None of backup RBs are make or break for us in my mind at this point. Lynch having burst, staying healthy, and someone to spell him is all I care about. Everyone else needs to fill whatever role is set for them.

I'm not buying that Martin is a lock yet. This guy is on a prove it deal for a reason. I know he's looked good in practice but you don't erase a few years of inconsistency that easily. I still think he's in a three guy competition with Richard and Washington for two spots.

7 hours ago, StocktonSav said:

I'm not buying that Martin is a lock yet. This guy is on a prove it deal for a reason. I know he's looked good in practice but you don't erase a few years of inconsistency that easily. I still think he's in a three guy competition with Richard and Washington for two spots.

I disagree. I think Martin is a lock. The fact he hardly played in the first game is evidence. They know what he brings and are letting the younger backs fight for a position 

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I disagree. I think Martin is a lock. The fact he hardly played in the first game is evidence. They know what he brings and are letting the younger backs fight for a position 

I do agree that the coaching staff has a better idea of what they have in Martin since he's been in the league longer. He has a firm hold on the 2 spot now as a result. But I'm not ready to believe his roster spot is a lock after one preseason game.

23 minutes ago, StocktonSav said:

I do agree that the coaching staff has a better idea of what they have in Martin since he's been in the league longer. He has a firm hold on the 2 spot now as a result. But I'm not ready to believe his roster spot is a lock after one preseason game.

It's not. It's a lock because Gruden recruited him and he's looked fantastic in camp as a runner and catching passes. You're kidding yourself if you think Richard/Washington/Warren are going to unseat him. 

RBs for 2018 - Lynch, Martin, Richard or Washington, Smith - Warren and Yuracheck (sp?) hit the PS

Archived