Chargers Regular/Pre Season thread

DingoLadd

37 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

@The LBC korey toomer bad or a usable guy? 

Definitely usable.  He's more in the role of a 2-down thumper than someone you want out there dropping into shallow zones or manning up on TE's and RB's, but he's well worthy of being on some team's active roster.

5 hours ago, Zappaz said:

I'm trying to be positive lol.. last few years have made it tough though. 

I just have a feeling that this team is talented at all levels and we have a coach that will push us over to the next level. I'm rooting for that fairy tale ending for Gates and to see Rivers show that he does belong mentioned with the greatest QBs to play. This is the more hope I've had for this team since the mid 2000s.

How much would the NFL love a LA vs LA Superbowl?

Maybe.  I'm actually of the opinion they wouldn't prefer both LA teams be in the same Super Bowl though because, even though the Super Bowl gets a ton of casual viewers and a lot of the people that swear up and down that they aren't going to watch will still (whether they admit it or not) find themselves at a watch party or "watching for the ads" or something similar, the general preference by the league is to hit as close to two teams from two separate major markets as possible.  LA vs La ends up in a bit larger scale of the Indianapolis vs Chicago Super Bowl (where a lot of Indiana-based fans are actually Bears fans, particularly back then when you still had a generation or two of folks who had grown up when the Colts were in Baltimore and the Bears were the closest team - and were also good).

Ideally, the league wants a LA vs NY or a LA vs Boston or CA/NY/BOS vs Texas Super Bowl.  Hits some of the largest markets AND inspires viewership from a lot of the other markets because they dislike one of those larger markets/regions and want to see that team lose, so they'll pull for whoever is playing them.

12 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

Yeah he was injured last year, I will take the chance the 2nd most accurate kicker in NFL history could rebound off a bad year. 

And according to Dallas people, he basically still hasn't been able to fully kick this entire preseason, and he only got 1 kick in the entire preseason, and the injury is still very much so effecting him.  No thanks...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What was the NFL thinking not putting the league's first all-LA game in 24  years on national TV, but saying the Raiders-Rams game was a good national TV pick?

Chargers-Rams is a momentous occasion for the league. This should have been on NBC with Carrie Underwood singing I Love LA in the intro.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, at least Liuget is back this next week.  I realize the expectations are probably low from people because he's a popular "catch crap" target, but at this point every little bit ought to help in terms of getting better pressure from the front 4.

I'm really not mad at this move.  At the very least I get it.  There's been too many kickers that have proven track records either before or after their time with us, to say that it was each and every one of their faults.  This kicking problem has outlasted all of them. So change something else. How many kickers do we have to go through to finally try something else for you guys?

So you find another common denominator and start there.  Kaser is a good punter but he's not great, and honestly Donnie Jones was just as good of a punter last year as Kaser was, and the Eagles just cut him because he had a big contract for a punter.  He also has some history holding for Sturgis which always helps.  But I did some research into this just looking at the punting numbers from last year.  While Kaser had a better punt average by 3 yards, the net punt yards were the same.  Kaser was tied for the most punts returned in the league, and the fewest fair catches (6 all year, which is half of the number of the next lowest).  That tells me that he's definitely out kicking his coverage too often.  Donnie Jones however, had the very opposite of that.  He was bottom 5 in the league in kicks returned and return yardage.  So I think we actually upgraded (or at the very least stayed constant) at Punter.  Sure that has something to do with our coverage units (which have been much better this year), but a lot of it falls on Kaser.

Archived