Chargers Regular/Pre Season thread

DingoLadd

13 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

Mostly they analyze tape, have the time to find the main issues with the team and fix them with practices. Plus rest+relaxation goes a long way to helping injured players, extra time for gameplans also helps. 

Fixing what the team is doing wrong and finding a healthy balance between resting players and pushing them in practice to fix the mistakes they've been making so far.

Thanks Dingo. The article below had me thinking. The temptation for me is to want the players and coaches to be working on all the problems during the extra week. But at the end of the day, it's important to realize that the bye is important for healing physically and mentally as well.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2247991-what-really-goes-on-during-an-nfl-bye-week

Not sure if it's more Donnie Jones, or if it's more Bagley but I'll take it for now. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-chargers/post/_/id/25118/stop-the-chargering-donnie-jones-brings-calmness-to-kicking-game

It's a small sample size, but since Jones has taken over as the team's punter and holder, the Chargers have made 83.3 percent of their field goal attempts (5 of 6) and 90 percent of their extra point attempts (9 of 10) over three games.

Players and coaches say that Jones has brought a sense of calmness to the special teams unit and the team as a whole.

22 hours ago, pf9 said:

Chargers have the first AFC Wild Card spot right now. If they make the playoffs I think LA will definitely warm up to them.

I'm thinking this season plays out like 2013.

1.  Narrow victory over the Chiefs backups in week 17 to secure a playoff spot (#5 seed)

2.  Look good beating up on mediocre team in wild card round (winner of AFC South)

3.  Get stomped by rival in divisional round (Chiefs)

This season feels a lot like 2007 IMO.

-Win 10-11 games and grab the 5th seed.

-Beat the mediocre AFC south winner (Indy or Houston)

-Upset a perennial playoff disappointment (KC) in divisional round

-Lose to NE in AFC championship game due to inability to convert in the red-zone. 

20 hours ago, game3525 said:

-Lose to NE in AFC championship game due to inability to convert in the red-zone. 

Difference could be Rivers and our offense will be healthy then and we get Bosa back. Plus good news is here.

As the Los Angeles Chargers get ready to make a second-half postseason push, they could get an unexpected boost from a player they were not counting on.

Chargers tight end Hunter Henry, who tore his ACL during OTAs this past May, has a chance to return to action next month, league sources tell ESPN.

Henry's return still would be a longshot, according to sources, but it is a shot -- and it is more than most were expecting when he initially suffered the knee injury it in a non-contact drill last spring.

Per ESPN

On 10/27/2018 at 10:51 AM, Xenos said:

Not sure if it's more Donnie Jones, or if it's more Bagley but I'll take it for now. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-chargers/post/_/id/25118/stop-the-chargering-donnie-jones-brings-calmness-to-kicking-game

Well looks like I had my answer. It was definitely more Bagley. Too bad he has no leg to launch it into the endzone. But at this point, I rather we work on our kick coverage than rely on someone as undependable as Sturgis.

21 hours ago, Classic said:

Difference could be Rivers and our offense will be healthy then and we get Bosa back. Plus good news is here.

That is definitely true. Rivers with an ACL would have helped back then or a healthy LT. 

This year definitely has a different feel from years past. They are still making the boneheaded mistakes but unlike before they are still pulling out the victories. Maybe this could be the year that Rivers proves all the haters wrong. As someone who has watched the guy play for 18 years, I would love to see the guy get just 1 ring to cap a very underrated career.

I'm curious as to what you guys think about Haha-Clinton Dix only costing a 4th round pick?

I really really would have been happy to give up a 4th round pick to have him, even if only for this year. Cap Space would have been pretty easy to make because we would be able to free up enough by cutting Travis Benjamin.

We don't really have a true FS.

In terms of this offseason, I'm conflicted. I actually think we should bring back Tre Boston (He's on a one year deal with AZ, he's familiar with our system and he's an actual FS) but I think we may have to let Addae go. This is unfortunate as I believe Addae brings a lot of intangibles to the locker room and the defense and is seen as one of the leaders on defense. He did have a good game against Seattle, but I think it would be better to be able to keep Derwin closer to the LOS and have a true FS with ball skills and range.

On 11/3/2018 at 10:59 PM, game3525 said:

Honestly I think we may have beaten NE in 2007 if we were healthy. (As said in previous posts) NE wasn't really destroying teams anymore by the end of that season, and they had come close to losing a few times to teams that weren't as good as we were that year. (Baltimore, Philly)

But I actually think this is the best team we have had since probably 2009. I think having Bosa back will only make our defense better, and I think our O-line is much better than it has been in many years. Feeney is the only liability, and even he's not totally terrible compared to previous O-lineman we have had like Orlando Franklin, King Dunlap and DJ Fluker. Pouncey and Okung have been really good, Schoffield has been solid and I've been very pleasantly surprised by Tevi. I would like to maybe see Lamp take over for Feeney at some point, but I have no idea what is going on with that situation.

I think we may actually be the most underrated offense in the league. There's not really much that the touted offenses (New England, KC, New Orleans, Rams) can do that we can't. We have a pro-bowl QB, a two-headed monster at RB and 3 very solid WR's of which includes one who is probably top 10.

Only real thing is that NE and KC both have elite TE's, but there is still a slight chance we get Henry back. If that is the case I'd be really excited to see our offense with him thrown into it. I also think that we have a better RB group than NE and a slightly better O-line than KC.

Archived