Chargers Regular/Pre Season thread

DingoLadd

Yeah I'm not saying we are a huge fanbase or anything, but I also think that this isn't even the best Chargers forum on the web for pure Chargers stuff. The Chargers reddit is pretty active, we actually have more subs on there than the Rams do.

Shoutout from Peter King:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/26/seahawks-russell-wilson-nfl-week-12-fmia-peter-king/

Rivers: Almost Perfect

When Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt came out of the locker room for the second half at the StubHub Center, he caught the stats up on the scoreboard. “19-19,” he saw next to Philip Rivers’ name.

“That’s not right,” he thought to himself. Whisenhunt thought he misread it. And he went out to coach the second half, not thinking of the supposedly faux 19 for 19.

gettyimages-10652083262.jpg?w=1024&h=726 Philip Rivers. (Getty Images)

But as the half went on, he discovered Rivers was indeed perfect … for 25 throws. Then the Chargers quarterback, on his last series of the game, was trying to avoid a sack when he threw the ball away toward running back Austin Ekeler. He finished 28 of 29, an NFL-record 96.6 percent accurate on the day. A few minutes after coach Anthony removed Rivers from the 45-10 rout of the Cardinals, Rivers realized he was one throw from perfection.

“I remember exactly what he said,” said Whisenhunt, who has coached Rivers for four years. “‘GOSH! The one I missed the guy had me on the leg! SHOOT!’“

That’s about as profane as the devoted Catholic gets.

“You could feel it today,” Whisenhunt told me from California. “He’s been playing at an incredible level for a while now. Remember—this started, really, in this week last year, when we played the Thanksgiving game at Dallas.” Rivers completed 82 percent that day, for 434 yards. In the 17 games since, he’s had the best year-plus of his life: 68.2 percent accuracy, 5,120 yards, a 37-9 touchdown-to-pick ratio, and a crazy 9.08 yards per attempt.

It’s one crazy coincidence that Rivers and the man who was let go to make way for him to play in 2006—Drew Brees—are playing this well so late in their careers. Brees turns 40 in six weeks. Rivers turns 37 in two weeks. And now Rivers leads the Chargers to a prime-time game at Pittsburgh on Sunday, another test in a long line of them for him and this Chargers team that’s 13-4 since last Thanksgiving. “Him and Ben [Roethlisberger] again,” said Whisenhunt. “It’s going to be fun. It always is.”

And some love from SI as well:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/26/baker-mayfield-hue-jackson-browns-philip-rivers-broncos-steelers-vikings-packers-bills-jaguars-mmqb-week-12

(ALMOST) PERFECT PHILIP

How do you respond to your first loss in two months? Philip Rivers did it by hitting his first 25 (!) passes, for 224 yards, as the Chargers turned an early 10-0 deficit against Arizona into a rollicking 45–10 win. And as Rivers’ coach saw it, it was no accident that this performance came on the heels of a loss to the Broncos that was sparked by a costly interception (Von Miller the perpetrator) that sat on Rivers’s back for a week.

“His consistency was impressive,” Anthony Lynn said from the victorious locker room. “That’s something that you only get from preparation. And if you’re around him every day and see how he prepares, it doesn’t surprise you, that he goes out and has a day like this. He’s a fierce competitor, and he could not wait to get back on the field after what happened last week.

“So I think you saw a combination of a guy playing extremely focused, playing at a high level, and he prepared extremely well.”

The way the game played out showed where the whole Chargers team’s focus was, too.

A heavy favorite coming in, and coming off that Denver loss, the Chargers immediately yielded a nine-play, 76-yard touchdown drive. A three-and-out to follow gave Arizona field position and helped set up the field goal that made it 10-0. Just a week out from having their six-game win streak snap, via a blown 12-point lead, the Chargers looked like they’d allowed Week 11 to bleed into Week 12.

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn-s3.si.com%2F
Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images

But Lynn saw something else—little mistakes causing bigger problems. The Cardinals were hard-counting the Chargers’ aggressive pass rush, which was an issue, and communication breakdowns led to poor run fits. Ideal? No. Correctable? Yes. And if the team was as resilient as Lynn has always thought, the fixes would come quick.

We sign up to play four quarters, and really that was just the first 12 minutes of the game,” Lynn said. “And the first 12 minutes did not go our way, for sure. But it didn’t surprise me that these guys kept fighting and kept competing, because they are very resilient. That’s what they’ve always done. So I was fully expecting that.”

The Chargers didn’t allow another point, and scored 45. And now they head off to Pittsburgh for a huge AFC showdown at 8–3, just a game behind the Chiefs in the division and firmly in the running to capture one of the conference’s two playoff byes.

A lot of us have had that Dec. 2 game circled for a while. Since it’s here, the Chargers can finally circle it to.

“It’s a great place for a football game,” Lynn said. “It’s gonna be fun. They flexed it, which is going to make it even rowdier, and we’re looking forward to it. My focus was clearly on this game today, but as soon as the game was over? Yes, I did think about Pittsburgh. And we’ll get to them first thing in the morning, if not tonight.”

On a completely unrelated note, I really like these all royal blue uniforms (rush colors?). Probably the third best after the classic powder blues and the 90s early 2000s navy blue uniforms. I wouldn't mind switching to these ones full time

On 11/27/2018 at 12:15 PM, Xenos said:

On a completely unrelated note, I really like these all royal blue uniforms (rush colors?). Probably the third best after the classic powder blues and the 90s early 2000s navy blue uniforms. I wouldn't mind switching to these ones full time

Agree, very nice jersey..

If it were up to me we would wear them 8 times a year, and make the powder blues our away jersey - 8 times a year for them.

2 of the best uniforms in the game imo. 

On 11/26/2018 at 5:15 PM, Xenos said:

It could happen considering we're getting up there in age with these current uni's which came out in 2007. Seeing how the team is now donning the old AFL sheild logo at every conference and notable social media images it could be they switch to new uniforms once the Inglewood Stadium is built. I'm happy with either color combo so long as we go back to having the bolts over the shoulder and getting rid of the unnecessary whilte yolk on the sleeves.

23 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

It's a good year to be a chargers fan.

Of course Gordon had to get hurt though.....ugh.

Injury could be a blessing as it saves Gordon for what I hope is a strong playoff push. 

3 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

In order of preference

Powder Blues

White Out

Color Rush

Navy with the White helmets

navy with navy helmets. 

If we can get these two be our home/away it'd be perfect. The perfect combo for me is still....

Home

52de53f01c8e9ea4a77170b55f574593-getty-.

Away

09_SDvsKC_MN_181--nfl_large_590_Unlimite

Combo Set

AFC-Throwback2-Uniform-SD.PNG

1 hour ago, Boltstrikes said:

What do you guys think of Mike Williams? I’m still not thrilled but he is growing on me. 

He seems to make a couple good plays a game over the middle. I think he has a role but I'm still not sold on taking him so early. I understand why they did it but now we have too many guys to feed the ball to. 

Archived