Chargers Regular/Pre Season thread

DingoLadd

Posted this in the TNF thread. But another memorable interview by Phil: "You hold this team to 28 points when your knucklehead quarterback gives them the ball at the 40, and then throws another pick in the redzone...." xD Never change Phil. Never change.

• 2 weeks later...

After a day of mulling over the game, my feelings are mixed.

1) It sucked that we lost and essentially have no way of being the #1 seed now. But it doesn't hurt as much because we're going into the playoffs regardless.

2) Speaking of which, as so many of you guys have already mentioned, we do better on the road for some reason. All 4 losses have been in LA. Logically it doesn't make any sense. Even if we don't have  a home crowd, being at home to recover and not travel should make a difference. And yet we are undefeated out of LA.

3) Maybe we do better when we have a chip on our shoulder. As soon as the pundits started to crown us, I started to worry. You could see almost the same problems in the Bengals victory after we beat the Steelers.

4) Here's hoping that we try to rest players that are still recovering like Keenan and Melvin next week against the Broncos. Rivers should maybe play a half to keep his Iron Man streak going. I seriously hope we have Lamp play more than just garbage time next week. Our oline is better at run blocking than pass blocking, but we still shouldn't have our QB get killed like he did for the last few weeks.

5) I hope to God whatever bad ref mojo we got for winning the Steelers game is finally over now. Seriously, it's like the refs are still trying to make up for that game against us.

Now that KC lost... I'm a little more sick over the Ravens loss. That was a typical Chargers choke with Gates coughing up the ball on what was going to be the game winning drive. Rivers gets a bad rap over the years for not being able to have those meaningful 4th quarter comebacks but this is usually how it ends... someone else making mistakes that make it not happen. He holds on to that ball through that punch and they continue down to score a TD then we are currently sitting #1 in the AFC.

Our line has definitely been on the downward trend. All the pressure up the middle is what hurts Rivers the most because he can't step into throws. Getting that fixed (Lamp?) is going to be key to a long run in the playoffs. 

On 12/22/2018 at 11:20 PM, pf9 said:

I think Rivers should be benched for the rest of the season including playoffs.

When a rookie outshines you you know something is wrong.

......I'm thinking you're a chiefs fan but you might be that kind of fan.

That loss just hurts but I kind of expected it, I don't think I'll ever get over my pessimistic view of the chargers.

On 12/22/2018 at 8:20 PM, pf9 said:

I think Rivers should be benched for the rest of the season including playoffs.

When a rookie outshines you you know something is wrong.

I'm thinking you haven't watched Geno Smith play this season.

Alright this game could be meaningless but perhaps not. Odds aren’t in our favour of anything really happening but we gotta go into Denver and play to win at least initially. Maybe do some score board watching and sit some people at halftime or in the third if things aren’t going our way. Who knows but play to win.

Obviously it’d be great if Oakland somehow beat KC not only for the 1 seed but I was looking over the draft standings in which prior to the game tonight it looked like Oakland had a shot at the top pick I think if Oakland wins and a bunch of stuff happens it is possible they get the 9th overall pick (may have to double check that). So we are rooting for that to happen. 

Baltimore/Cleveland and Pittsburgh/Cincinnati are the other games we have to keep in mind for our most likely 4/5 WC matchup. Let’s say more likely than not KC takes care of Oakland and we are now watching these two games that will decide who we play. Baltimore is probably gonna be who it ends up being but they could lose to Cleveland who is playing great and this just may be their SB and I can’t imagine Cincinnati bearing Pittsburgh either way right now. Steelers should come out with at least some hope. Who do you want to play? Both games will be a rematch. Both games will be on the road. We beat Pittsburgh and lost to Baltimore. There will be a revenge factor from Pittsburgh but I still like our chances more than against Baltimore. I can spinzone the Baltimore loss down 16-10 with about 3:30 to go driving down field and the future first ballot HOFer fumbles it to close out the game but we very well despite how bad we looked on offense all game could have won that game. We will have that revenge factor but after watching Baltimore recently and seeing the Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde Steelers all season I still feel is rather play them. 

Anyone feel differently?

Chargers-Rams Super Bowl is what I am hoping for. That way the entire nation can finally witness a game in the NFL's newest rivalry (putting Rams-Raiders on MNF when the Raiders eventually finished last while limiting Chargers-Rams to a 4 PM non-national slot was a huge travesty on the NFL's part). It would also be the first Super Bowl between teams representing the same market.

Having a games experience against Baltimore makes me want to play them again rather then the Steelers. They made zero mistakes against us and we still had a chance to win that game. Baltimore is really good but also really beatable. We’ve got a games worth of experience and a lot more tape on their shotgun offset I formation. Rematch favors us since they are running a somewhat gimmicky offense. 

On 12/27/2018 at 2:35 PM, pf9 said:

Chargers-Rams Super Bowl is what I am hoping for. That way the entire nation can finally witness a game in the NFL's newest rivalry (putting Rams-Raiders on MNF when the Raiders eventually finished last while limiting Chargers-Rams to a 4 PM non-national slot was a huge travesty on the NFL's part). It would also be the first Super Bowl between teams representing the same market.

That would be a great match-up and it helps we've played them before as well. This time we've got Bosa and Henry hopefully playing as well. 

On 2018-12-27 at 7:08 PM, Boltstrikes said:

Having a games experience against Baltimore makes me want to play them again rather then the Steelers. They made zero mistakes against us and we still had a chance to win that game. Baltimore is really good but also really beatable. We’ve got a games worth of experience and a lot more tape on their shotgun offset I formation. Rematch favors us since they are running a somewhat gimmicky offense. 

All true points. However that defense is legit scary so I’m not sure how to feel. They certainly aren’t the team I’d most want to see. It is the playoffs though all teams in the AFC seemingly have a shot to win the conference. 

The key to this game is really simple - Give Rivers a pocket to work in and avoid turnovers. If we turn it over 2 or 3 times we are close to no chance as the Ravens will dominate the clock. We might only get 8 or 9 drives against these guys. If we can keep it to 0 turnovers or 1 at most, we should win.

Archived