Chargers Regular/Pre Season thread

DingoLadd

Our entire season hinges on Bosa returning and not re-injuring himself. If we can go 5-2 before a scheduled debut of Bosa vs Seahawks that would be ideal but I think we're gonna split games between the Titans and Browns. Losing to either could effects us for a wild card spot as I don't think we'll catch the Chiefs especially if they beat the Pats and go 6-0.

Our best competitors for the wild card spot are the Browns, Titans, Dolphins, Ravens, Bengals(if they don't win the division), Steelers. I think we're better than all of them if Bosa is back and healthy but without him we're somewhere in the middle. This team seriously needs to stack up wins before our tough stretch later in the year we're we face @Steelers vs Bengals @KC

On 10/13/2018 at 2:04 PM, Classic said:

Our entire season hinges on Bosa returning and not re-injuring himself. If we can go 5-2 before a scheduled debut of Bosa vs Seahawks that would be ideal but I think we're gonna split games between the Titans and Browns. Losing to either could effects us for a wild card spot as I don't think we'll catch the Chiefs especially if they beat the Pats and go 6-0.

Our best competitors for the wild card spot are the Browns, Titans, Dolphins, Ravens, Bengals(if they don't win the division), Steelers. I think we're better than all of them if Bosa is back and healthy but without him we're somewhere in the middle. This team seriously needs to stack up wins before our tough stretch later in the year we're we face @Steelers vs Bengals @KC

Yay, we beat the Browns. And the Titans look like a winnable game. If the team can continue beating up the opponents that they should be beating up, they should be 9-2 before the hard part of the schedule begins. Hopefully we'll have Bosa back by then.

Sidenote: man Liuget makes a big difference for this D. He may not shine statwise on his own, but he apparently helps this DLine more than we all thought.

35 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Speaking of schedule, our December schedule is rough. Steelers, Bengals, Chiefs, and Ravens. 

That gives me bad flash backs of December of 2014. 

Even if by some miracle we look good going into that, we aren’t coming out healthy through  that. 

19 hours ago, game3525 said:

Speaking of schedule, our December schedule is rough. Steelers, Bengals, Chiefs, and Ravens. 

That gives me bad flash backs of December of 2014. 

Well I guess you can be happy in knowing that unlike 2014, Rivers is not on his 200th center and we actually have a running game. But seriously our offense  can compete against anyone as long as we don't get in our own way. Our defense is slowly getting better now that we have Liuget back and Gus is adapting/evolving his scheme better for his personnel. We can definitely beat all four teams listed if we don't get in our own way.

2 hours ago, Xenos said:

Well I guess you can be happy in knowing that unlike 2014, Rivers is not on his 200th center and we actually have a running game. But seriously our offense  can compete against anyone as long as we don't get in our own way. Our defense is slowly getting better now that we have Liuget back and Gus is adapting/evolving his scheme better for his personnel. We can definitely beat all four teams listed if we don't get in our own way.

Oh, this team is much better then the 2014 team. That team was never quite as good as their 4-1 record had indicated. They were middle of the pack in terms of DVOA and really were getting by on the play of Rivers. I think we should be fine this time in December. I expect us to lose the Steelers and Chiefs game, but win the Ravens and Bengals.

It's all about the health.. So far we haven't been hit as bad as we usually are.. Picking up these wins without Bosa and before the schedule gets tough is really important.

We should be able to go into Pittsburgh with an 8-3 record or better provided we don't beat ourselves.

@ Steelers, vs Bengals, @ Chiefs, vs Ravens will then tell us if we can get excited or if its another year with no ring.

I don't want to be travelling to Denver in week 17 needing a win to make the playoffs so hopefully we are 10-5 or better by that stage.

Well for all the grief that Melvin Gordon gets, he's actually a pretty vital part of this offense. He's the cowbell and the one who gets those tough yards. He's the perfect complement to Austin Ekeler and vice versa.

14 hours ago, H.E Pennypacker said:

We need our running game to continue churning out 100+ yards each game.. We couldn't get it going today and it almost cost us the win.. We've got our best running game since the days of LT and it's no coincidence we are 5-2 because of it.

I agree and I also want to say I was quite dismissive of the Titans and figured it wouldn’t matter they clearly aren’t the team that lost 21-0 and looked completely inept last week but they also aren’t the team that started 3-1. I don’t have a read on them I imagine they will still fight for the division as the south is completely up for grabs. 

We played well and showed some heart despite the titans marching down the field we made the key plays and won a game we usually lose so this was def a great win and week considering all the craziness over seas. 

1 hour ago, kyle21121 said:

I agree and I also want to say I was quite dismissive of the Titans and figured it wouldn’t matter they clearly aren’t the team that lost 21-0 and looked completely inept last week but they also aren’t the team that started 3-1. I don’t have a read on them I imagine they will still fight for the division as the south is completely up for grabs. 

We played well and showed some heart despite the titans marching down the field we made the key plays and won a game we usually lose so this was def a great win and week considering all the craziness over seas. 

Yeah it's hard to get a read on the Titans. I think they're middle of the pack in the AFC, and like you said we lose yesterdays game 9 times out of 10 in previous years. This team seems to have that confidence that they can actually win consistently.

If you look past that 0-4 start last year, we have lost 5 games since then.. Pats and Jags last year (2 AFC Champ teams), Chiefs x 2 (who really have the wood on us) and the 7-0 Rams. Beating all the teams we should at the moment.

On 10/21/2018 at 4:58 PM, Xenos said:

Well for all the grief that Melvin Gordon gets, he's actually a pretty vital part of this offense. He's the cowbell and the one who gets those tough yards. He's the perfect complement to Austin Ekeler and vice versa.

Melvin is a stud, if misses more than 1 game....oof.

Hypothetical question but do certain teams take advantage of the bye better than most? And if so, how do they do it? Andy Reid, for example, has an incredible record after a bye. How can the Chargers and Lynn do the same thing?

3 hours ago, Xenos said:

Hypothetical question but do certain teams take advantage of the bye better than most? And if so, how do they do it? Andy Reid, for example, has an incredible record after a bye. How can the Chargers and Lynn do the same thing?

Mostly they analyze tape, have the time to find the main issues with the team and fix them with practices. Plus rest+relaxation goes a long way to helping injured players, extra time for gameplans also helps. 

Fixing what the team is doing wrong and finding a healthy balance between resting players and pushing them in practice to fix the mistakes they've been making so far.

Archived