What team do you think would trade for Teddy Bridgewater?

DoleINGout

Just now, SteelKing728 said:

I don't think there is any question that he can still play. He just needs to knock off from rust.

In most cases I would agree with you, but his case should be considered something unique.

Harrison Smith winning DPOY 2018.

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

The one or two hits really sold you on his durability?

I’ve seen Bradford play a whole season and that dude’s knees are made of wet tissue paper. I loved Bridgewater and still hope he proves everyone wrong, but the fact that he’s healed and did well on a drive in the preseason proves about...zilch. He needs to be on the field in games that matter and play well before he’s worth anything more than a late rounder, let alone players like Olsen or Hightower.

He still has 3 prove it games to show it.

The fact he can take any hits is amazing though.

21 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Aside from Lynch, I like them all as starters. Bridgewater just fits the Patriots the best. Reminds me of Tom Brady a lot.

@Forge Granted, Tannehill has had less time to recover from tearing his ACL than Bridgewater. Winston is suspended again from playing football, so different set of issues. Mariota is more consistently hurt than Bridgewater with new injuries.  Bortles isn’t as good as Bridgewater, never has been IMO. Same story with Lynch. I like Bridgewater the most but they’re all decent starters with the exception of Lynch who is more of a backup quality player.

3 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

@Forge Granted, Tannehill has had less time to recover from tearing his ACL than Bridgewater. Winston is suspended again. Marriott is more consistently hurt than Bridgewater with new injuries.  Bortles isn’t as good as Bridgewater, never has been IMO. Same story with Lynch. I like Bridgewater the most but they’re all decent starters with the exception of Lynch who is more of a backup quality player.

And that's fine. I'm certainly not telling you that you can't be bullish on Bridgewater. I like him to an extent, but he strikes me as QB purgatory upside, and it's perfectly okay that we have different evaluations of him. I have just never liked the bringing in of intangibles and unquantifiable things to prop the value of a player up, or items that can easily be bracketed by other players (such as being a former first round pick). I think the most important thing is going to continue to be him performing well, even in preseason (since we have seen quarterbacks yield an impressive return for nothing more than preseason performance). Right now, I think his value is nominal because anyone trading for him would be doing so as a back up exclusively, and I don't think that has a crazy amount of value. But with an injury? Yeah, for sure I think he could bring a gouging price back (I said earlier - a second and conditional to a playoff aspiring team that suffers a major quarterback injury).  

21 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I don't think there is any question that he can still play. He just needs to knock off from rust.

In most cases I would agree with you, but his case should be considered something unique.

See, I don't see why his case should be unique. He's a football player. It's about what he can do in comparison to others for a team that may acquire him. There's nothing unique about it. Either he can play or he can't. Either you think he's durable, or you don't. Improved footwork and things like that don't really matter if it's not translating on the field. He will certainly continue to get a chance to show off his wares in the preseason, and that's important because as I said in the previous post, we have seen several times teams extricate amazing value out of preseason performance, so even if it's pre season, it's important. If you were bullish on him in Minnesota, of course you'll have a higher value on him than someone who though he looked largely average throughout his tenure there pre injury. But again, there's nothing really unique about him here. You have your opinion of him pre injury + opinion of his continued durability and play since the injury, even if it is truncated to three or four pre season performances. But there's nothing here to treat as "unique". 

If nobody loses a quarterback in the preseason, and I were a good team with a shaky backup quarterback situation, I'd give real consideration to acquiring him before anyone does lose a QB and his value is nominal (and again, I do think his trade value is somewhat minimal right now because anyone acquiring him would be doing so strictly as a backup). I'd rather be pro active on that front. But if I were the Jets, I think I'd just hold on to him, play him, and hope something happens and then gouge said team if he's performing well. The light return of trading him as a backup is worth giving up for the chance to get a much higher return if injuries or awful play strikes a playoff contending club. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think the most important thing is going to continue to be him performing well

Agreed, regardless of everything else.

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I have just never liked the bringing in of intangibles and unquantifiable things to prop the value of a player up

The things @SteelKing728 referred to are examples of tangible things Bridgewater is doing to improve his effectiveness. Physically I believe he is in his prime and performance-wise I think he is getting there. As you said, he needs to continue to go out and play well.

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

he strikes me as QB purgatory upside, and it's perfectly okay that we have different evaluations of him

I understand your perspective on this and I like that you’re being your respectful of mine.

I think some people are overvaluing Teddy, but I agree with those who are bullish on him. I think he was primed to break out before the knee, and if he's back healthy, I think he's still able to become a quality starting QB.

47 minutes ago, Forge said:

And that's fine. I'm certainly not telling you that you can't be bullish on Bridgewater. I like him to an extent, but he strikes me as QB purgatory upside, and it's perfectly okay that we have different evaluations of him. I have just never liked the bringing in of intangibles and unquantifiable things to prop the value of a player up, or items that can easily be bracketed by other players (such as being a former first round pick). I think the most important thing is going to continue to be him performing well, even in preseason (since we have seen quarterbacks yield an impressive return for nothing more than preseason performance). Right now, I think his value is nominal because anyone trading for him would be doing so as a back up exclusively, and I don't think that has a crazy amount of value. But with an injury? Yeah, for sure I think he could bring a gouging price back (I said earlier - a second and conditional to a playoff aspiring team that suffers a major quarterback injury).  

Short-to-intermediate accuracy, pocket presence/movement, quick through progressions, and a high football IQ. Put him in a WCO or E-P offense, and he can be an Alex Smith-level QB, if not better.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

The stats in preseason may not mean much, but the fact that he can take a hit and get back up means a lot. The fact that he changed his footwork to avoid unnecessary hits/get the ball out quicker like Brady means a lot.

Its the little stuff that won't show up on the stat sheet that will drive Bridgewater's value.

May increase his value in general,  but no team is going to trade much for him this season.    If he gets traded, it will likely be due to injury to another starting quarterback, and it's doubtful any team trades more then a mid-round pick.

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

If this were the case, the Pats would be the clear head and shoulders favorite above the Bengals and Jaguars. I would be thrilled with this scenario.??

If Brady retires, sure. If the Bengals or Jaguars had interest, that would mean he would likely have a chance to compete for the starting job immediately... Unlike New England if Brady is still there. Bridgewater isn't going to waste more years of his prime sitting behind Brady, even if it is the best situation for him. He's going to want to go somewhere where he can prove his worth immediately.

23 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

May increase his value in general,  but no team is going to trade much for him this season.    If he gets traded, it will likely be due to injury to another starting quarterback, and it's doubtful any team trades more then a mid-round pick.

Agreed. Except in the special circumstances that the Pats are involved then it would obviously cost more I would think.

18 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

If Brady retires, sure. If the Bengals or Jaguars had interest, that would mean he would likely have a chance to compete for the starting job immediately... Unlike New England if Brady is still there. Bridgewater isn't going to waste more years of his prime sitting behind Brady, even if it is the best situation for him. He's going to want to go somewhere where he can prove his worth immediately.

I think Brady's contract only runs into 2019 and then expires. If Bridgewater gets a competitive offer and is viewed as the starter in 2020 and potentially even next season in 2019, then he may go into it withinking he has a legitimate chance to start at some point during his first season.

41 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

But fans generally de-value a players worth. Nobody thought Sam Bradford or Percy Harvin would go for what they netted.

45 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Short-to-intermediate accuracy, pocket presence/movement, quick through progressions, and a high football IQ. Put him in a WCO or E-P offense, and he can be an Alex Smith-level QB, if not better.

I would agree with that, though given that I'm more appreciative of Smith as a player than most, I'd have a hard time seeing a higher ceiling than smith but that's semantics.  However, I don't think that what you described is any different than how he was viewed before. 

So I guess I'm a little confused about the thread in general. Are we trying to establish current trade value on the basis that he's better than he was in Minnesota now as several people have talked of his improvements and he had a nice pre season opener, or are we trying to establish value based on him being the guy he was in Minnesota but healthy now? Because trying to establish trade value based on some sort of peak value thing about him being better now than he was I think is not possible at this current point in time. 

14 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

But fans generally de-value a players worth. Nobody thought Sam Bradford or Percy Harvin would go for what they netted.

Absolutely - though Bradford was a bit of a mitigating circumstance with the injury (which several people have noted in here would increase Teddy B's trade value exponentially). We will never know if Bradford would have fetched that trade value without the injury.

The problem is, its really difficult to find a comparable trade for a possible Bridgewater  pact  in the current climate because typically when teams are acquiring another team's backup quarterback, they are doing so to insert him as their starter (and as stated, the problem right now appears to be, where is he going to start?).  Right now, I don't see that option on the table for Bridgewater. When was the last time a possible starting quarterback caliber quarterback was traded to be a back up somewhere else? I don't consider Siemian a starting caliber quarterback, so that doesn't count. It may be a bit of a joke now, but maybe the most recent comparable trade to the like may have been Whitehurst (flip of seconds + a third), but obviously Bridgewater has a lot more tape and experience and should be more of a proven commodity,  but whitehurst may have been viewed as a QotF type at the time so I think that there is some merit  to using this as a comparable (It was 2010, the Seahawks only had Hasselback at the time), but still for the immediate future he was only a backup. Maybe Jason Campbell to the Raiders (they still had Jamarcus at the time)? I don't know...I don't think that there is an ideal comp to work with to get a framework for a deal in my head. 

16 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Who's to say the fans were wrong in those cases? After all, neither of those players ended up being worth with what the teams gave up for them.

You guys are really over rating Bridgewater right now. I'm not saying he can't develop into a franchise QB eventually, but a few of you are acting like it's only a matter of "when" and not "if". In reality, he still has a lot to prove in regards to being even a decent starter in this league, much less a franchise QB.

Archived