What team do you think would trade for Teddy Bridgewater?

DoleINGout

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

So they didn't have any interest in any QB in FA/Draft the past two seasons? I mean, going back to last offseason is when we made sweeping changes in the org. like bring on TC (who was very much a guy who didn't seem to love Bortles play) and brought on a new HC/coaching staff. I would say for us to pass on every possible QB the past two years due to not liking any would be fairly minuscule.

Cousins definitely would have broke the bank, but again, we're in a window. Would we have lost some talent by paying him? Yes. But if they seriously believe Bortles was not an average QB/a solid QB who managed the game very well while limiting the turnovers (while having zero in the playoffs as I mentioned before which is a pretty large deal I'd say), why would they not look for some type of alternative of some fashion and let a year waste away with one of if not the best defense in the league and a young stud RB?

Most every QB is going to cost teams a game or two at least every year. Point is, I don't remember that many where I looked at the game and put it right on Blake. In previous years? Sure, of course. He's had some rough ones. But if we're basing things on last year (we are), then the hate is unwarranted. He got paid because of what he did. As you said, we're going into year 5, we aren't "expecting" a sudden breakthrough. We put him in a different role last year (not having him play backyard ball, but manage the offense and be smart with the ball) and he played well enough to deserve a 2nd contract.

He had (as I talked about before) very inexperience and lacking weapons for the most part for someone that is a game manager. When you want to play football like the Jaguars do, you don't want the guys he's leaning on to be mistake free/make plays themselves as rookie WR's (Cole, Dede), and waiver pickups (O'Shaugnessy, Mickens). If you want to be aboard the train that thinks Marqise Lee was a "good #2" last season then fine, but regardless, it was quite lacking veteran wise outside of Lee and Marcedes who was just cut this past offseason.

They kept Bortles through last off-season and then benched him in the preseason at one point for Chad Henne(before Henne showed he's a worse option), so I dunno how much keeping him last season really meant to them, or if it was a "fix everything else wrong and figure out the QB spot as we go". Building a defense first is a legitimate way of building a contending team.

As far as "most every QB is going to cost teams a game or two every year", that's no where near to the same degree as Bortles because of the team he's on. In 5 games last year Bortles had under 6 ypa(YPA often being considered one of, if not the most important passing stat as it relates to winning). That's not acceptable. Even in a checkdown offense you should be hitting around at least 6.5. Thankfully for the Jags the defense is so good that they managed to win 2 of those games where he posted under 6. Most teams with most defenses are going 0-5 or 1-4. I haven't checked thoroughly but you'd probably be hard pressed to find many guys who started a majority of his teams game's last year and finished with 5 or more games with under 6 YPA. And you'll find with the QBs who do have games under 6 YPA, they lost damn near all of them. One guy I know did match or surpass that 5 game mark is Jay Cutler. He had 7. 2-5 in those games, but worth noting one of the two wins was against Matt Cassel's 4.41 ypa game for the Titans, and the other was against the Falcons who somehow lost a 17-0 lead to a Jay Cutler led offense.

It's those kind of lows and how often he hits those lows that is the issue with Bortles.

And I don't doubt the Jags receiving weapons were mediocre last year, but I look at their depth chart at WR and TE this year and I don't feel much if any better about it than last year's.

The AFC South's WR/TE depth charts all around are pretty depressing. We've got DeAndre Hopkins and TY Hilton at WR which is nice, but after them you can actually argue Rishard Matthews is the 3rd best receiver in the division which is pretty sad. At TE you've got Delanie Walker and Jack Doyle then..uh..Eric Ebron and ASJ?

Makes you wanna throw up.

I'm of the opinion that WRs are probably the most useless position in all of football(most are thrown open or schemed open, very few actually get themselves open), but that's still pretty depressing.

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

They kept Bortles through last off-season and then benched him in the preseason at one point for Chad Henne(before Henne showed he's a worse option), so I dunno how much keeping him last season really meant to them, or if it was a "fix everything else wrong and figure out the QB spot as we go". Building a defense first is a legitimate way of building a contending team.

As far as "most every QB is going to cost teams a game or two every year", that's no where near to the same degree as Bortles because of the team he's on. In 5 games last year Bortles had under 6 ypa(YPA often being considered one of, if not the most important passing stat as it relates to winning). That's not acceptable. Even in a checkdown offense you should be hitting around at least 6.5. Thankfully for the Jags the defense is so good that they managed to win 2 of those games where he posted under 6. Most teams with most defenses are going 0-5 or 1-4. I haven't checked thoroughly but you'd probably be hard pressed to find many guys who started a majority of his teams game's last year and finished with 5 or more games with under 6 YPA. And you'll find with the QBs who do have games under 6 YPA, they lost damn near all of them. One guy I know did match or surpass that 5 game mark is Jay Cutler. He had 7. 2-5 in those games, but worth noting one of the two wins was against Matt Cassel's 4.41 ypa game for the Titans, and the other was against the Falcons who somehow lost a 17-0 lead to a Jay Cutler led offense.

It's those kind of lows and how often he hits those lows that is the issue with Bortles.

And I don't doubt the Jags receiving weapons were mediocre last year, but I look at their depth chart at WR and TE this year and I don't feel much if any better about it than last year's.

The AFC South's WR/TE depth charts all around are pretty depressing. We've got DeAndre Hopkins and TY Hilton at WR which is nice, but after them you can actually argue Rishard Matthews is the 3rd best receiver in the division which is pretty sad. At TE you've got Delanie Walker and Jack Doyle then..uh..Eric Ebron and ASJ?

Makes you wanna throw up.

I'm of the opinion that WRs are probably the most useless position in all of football(most are thrown open or schemed open, very few actually get themselves open), but that's still pretty depressing.

Again, he had his ups and downs, as most QB's do. Not trying to make this a divisional rival discussion as this has nothing to do with Mariota but he had his fair share of below average games too. He had 5, almost 6 games under the 6.5 threshold you list himself. Russell Wilson had 5 games like that, and another game in which he didn't hit that 6.5 threshold you speak of (I do realize he battled injury(s), but Blake did as well and just got surgery on it this past offseason after playing all year with it. I don't think it's quite as uncommon as you speak of to have 3-4+ games with a YPA under 6.5. Context of games is always good to take into account.

He had 5 games that I watched this past year and thought he definitely didn't play up to the billing. Those were both TEN games, ARI, NYJ, and ARI. The other game that I assume you'd list due to YPA would be Houston, but with some of these games you also need to take into account how the game was being played. He didn't have a great game against HOU, but that game we had 10 sacks and completely dominated the heck out of Houston right from the get go defensively. I don't think we were ever worried they put much if any points on the board. I think looking strictly at YPA of a game and not taking into account the context of the situation is an iffy route to go.

Our type of style of football that Marrone and co. designed was for games where it'd be close and we'd take minimal shots but take care of the football. He preached that last year. It was pretty evident in the early going last year. 

As for his weapons, I'd say it looks quite a bit better. Cole and Dede were late round/UDFA players going into last season, they came out after last year with a ton of promise (Cole moreso, had a great final stretch of the season), they added Moncrief who when he's healthy has been productive, and then added a high round WR in DJ Chark who obviously we'll see what happens with, but has balled out in the early-going and is more talented than anyone we had at the position going into last year. ASJ was a quality TE for NYJ last year as well, better receiving option than Lewis for sure.

I'd definitely say Blake has a good bit more to work with this year than last. Not a great group looking at things now, but definitely plenty of promise/upside.

7 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Ok, you're just trying to get a rise out of people with this. Gets even more ridiculous when you talk about a QB in Teddy who got paid pennies on the FA market with a nasty leg injury that some people said was the worst theyve ever seen in "top 10 QB" light.

Continue on though...

Nah Bridgey play like a fringe top ten QB this season bet

10 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Terrified to let Bortles throw because of the O-Line and receivers, correct.

He’s not the first QB to have a bad o-line and receivers and won’t be the last. Yes you game plan around those limitations but you don’t put shackles on him like they did. 

Can't see anyone having an interest in Teddy at this point unless a team loses their starter.

Teddy's value and ability is overhyped, I think because he is so likable and you can't help but cheer for him. His first two years were below average at best but the fact he's been away from any real starting experience for two years now, I can't see any team offering more than a 3rd. Potential might still be there but it's dwindling the longer he sits.

Archived