(POLL) If We Sign Dez or Lafell, Which 6 WRs Do We Keep??

Mind Character

If We Sign Dez or Lafell, Which WRs Do We Keep... Who Do We Cut?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. If We Sign Dez or Lafell, Which WRs Do We Keep... Who Do We Cut?

• A. - 1.) Josh Gordon, 2.) Jarvis Landry, 3.) Dez Bryant/Brandon Lafell, 4.) Antonio Callaway, 5.) Damion Ratley, & 6.) Jeff Janis - (Higgins Cut) --------------------------------------------------------------
    • B. - 1.) Josh Gordon, 2.) Jarvis Landry, 3.) Dez Bryant/Brandon Lafell, 4.) Antonio Callaway, 5.) Damion Ratley, & 6.) Rashard Higgins - (Janis Cut) --------------------------------------------------------------
    • C. - 1.) Josh Gordon, 2.) Jarvis Landry, 3.) Dez Bryant/Brandon Lafell, 4.) Antonio Callaway, 5.) Rashard Higgins, & 6.) Jeff Janis - (Ratley Cut)

The 6 Core 53-man roster WRs are as follows:

1.) Josh Gordon,

2.) Jarvis Landry,

3.) Antonio Callaway,

4.) Rashard Higgins,

5.) Jeff Janis,

6.) Damion Ratley.

---------------

If we sign Dez Bryant or Brandon Lafell this week, who do we cut??

(Things to Keep in Mind When Choosing)

1.) Who has redundant skill sets... View the Group As a Unit with specific skills

-- If we sign Dez or Lafell, who in the group has a similar skill set (i.e., possession receiver that doesn't separate well or have deep speed or elite quickness?? All signs point to Rashard Higgins ... Jeff Janis has speed and high point ability, but not the youth as Higgins does.

-- If we sign Dez.. we need a veteran mentor workman stabilizing force in the room to hold people accountable without it being perceived like they just want more targets ... like Janis could possibly do..

2.)Who has practice squad eligibility and who does not

-- Ratley, Callaway (he won't be cut), and Higgins...

3.) Who might make it to the practice squad and who might not

-- Teams LOVED Ratley as a late round flyer.. he'd be picked up by another team. Higgins has a limited skill set that teams don't usually like their 5th or 6th WR to have

------------

I think Ratley is too special (he was one of my favorite players/sleepers to scout) with his deep ball, vertical threat and YAC ability to cut.

It comes down to Janis who hasn't ever produced more than 95 yards and 1 TD in a season or Rashard Higgins who is a young, hardworking possession receiver that cannot separate or pose a vertical threat, but can be a reliable 3rd down.. middle of the field target.

Janis is more special as a Special Teams Gunner and tackler, but Ratley has the speed but not the strength and durability to do so.

If I had to choose, I might choose to cut Higgins b/c I honestly think that despite him having a good camp.. he still would not be signed to the 53 of another team and we could retain him on the practice squad... he may elect to sign to another team's practice squad however b/c he might think we don't believe in him on the Browns.

I think Janis brings a much needed, veteran steady presence in the room as well as better Special Teams skill as a 5th or 6th WR that Higgins can't... and that's what you want out of your 5th or 6th WR

I’m not cutting Higgins, as he seems to have turned a corner and at least looks like a viable 4th-5th receiver.

I’m not cutting Janis, because special teams are a thing.

So I’m looking at Ratley vs an old guy who may or may not be a head case. 

Gimme the kid and let’s see what he can do. 

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not cutting Higgins, as he seems to have turned a corner and at least looks like a viable 4th-5th receiver.

I’m not cutting Janis, because special teams are a thing.

So I’m looking at Ratley vs an old guy who may or may not be a head case. 

Gimme the kid and let’s see what he can do. 

Yeah man.. the WR cut is a really tough decision.

Do you think it's a better a decision to sign a vet Dez or someone else to the room or just keep the WR room as is and hope Higgins snd Janis can be a mainstays??

I go back and forth on that one... idk man...

I'm leaning toward the vet signing just to throw all we can at this season...

But I absolutely wouldn't want to cut Higgins as he's earned a roster spot, but I just think if it's between a young WR Ratley (a burner, vertical threat, natural catcher with high point ability) versus another young WR Higgins (precise intermediate route running, reliable hands, hardworking possession receiver)... I think we have to go with Ratley based on his skill sets projecting out to having more NFL impact and really b/c Higgins' skill sets can be found more readily than Ratley's ...

Maybe that means Janis should be the one to... and maybe he will be...

This 53 man cut is going be one of the most difficult one's in recent memory...

3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Yeah man.. the WR cut is a really tough decision.

Do you think it's a better a decision to sign a vet Dez or someone else to the room or just keep the WR room as is and hope Higgins snd Janis can be a mainstays??

I go back and forth on that one... idk man...

I'm leaning toward the vet signing just to throw all we can at this season...

I’m leaning the other way. Roll with what we have.

If some team surprisingly cuts a bonafide starter, then of course, make a move. But the guys on the street right now do nothing for me.

@LETSGOBROWNIES

Actually you've just convinced me that we need to keep Higgins over Janis.... lol

If I could go back and change my vote it would be for option 2. where our 5th and 6th WRs are Damion Ratley and Rashard Higgins.

Janis == Special Teams Gunner, Vertical Speed, High Point Ability, Vet Presence

Maybe the extra Vet Leadership presence can come from our WR coach and Al Saunders helping out with mentorhship...

We can make Ratley the ST Gunner... he has vertical speed and high point ability...

Therefore, Janis can be the odd man out...

Higgins has shined too much to cut probably.. I haven't heard anything about Janis shining at WR (Doesn't mean he hasn't though)

Tough decisions...

Higgins isn’t all that young, he’s headed into year 3 when things tend to click for receivers. He’s a vet imo.

Janis is the Marlon Moore, Josh Cribbs type of special teamer every team needs.

Ratley is the rawest, and least likely to contribute imo.  He’s big and fast, but so is Janis. 

Id honestly keep all 3 over Dez when you factor ego/intangibles/etc.

@Kiwibrown

you know what it is I would feel if we cut Ratley... it's that we would not have a speed threat/burner on the team that is not a suspension or reliability/availability risk...

Jarvis isn't a speed threat, Dez/Lafell aren't speed threats, Higgins isn't... those 3 WRs out on the field would allow the defense to sit on the routes... and pack the box...

Only JG and Callaway to a lesser extent are... but we can rely on them not to at some point make themselves unavailability even after a prolong run of reliability...

Janis had/has speed... but Ratley is a true track star with hands... a real speed threat...

Ratley adds a different dimension... a rare one in the NFL...

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Higgins isn’t all that young, he’s headed into year 3 when things tend to click for receivers. He’s a vet imo.

Janis is the Marlon Moore, Josh Cribbs type of special teamer every team needs.

Ratley is the rawest, and least likely to contribute imo.  He’s big and fast, but so is Janis. 

Id honestly keep all 3 over Dez when you factor ego/intangibles/etc.

Facts and facts...

Also, Absolutely agree that Ratley is the least likely to contribute...

Yeah... it's probably best to just ride out with our current WR group and hope they take advantage of the opportunity...

I voted Janis. I am fine signing nobody or Dez if his communication with Dorsey reports have been misconstrued by the media(?).

Because Hollywood doesn't have elite athleticism, I'll trust that the coaches assess him having turned the proverbial corner as a receiver. I hope he does earn a spot, as I like him on the team.

@Mind Character

we cant cut Higgins at the moment he is looking great. 

It comes down to Janis or Ratley. Ratley will need to show something. I like his numbers and phenotype. For everyone like him there are 10 guys that just can’t play. Chris Matthews comes to mind, put someone physical on him and he folds. 

I don’t think this team needs fez or lafell. 

6 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

@Mind Character

we cant cut Higgins at the moment he is looking great. 

It comes down to Janis or Ratley. Ratley will need to show something. I like his numbers and phenotype. For everyone like him there are 10 guys that just can’t play. Chris Matthews comes to mind, put someone physical on him and he folds. 

I don’t think this team needs fez or lafell. 

abrn.gif

42 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

^^^^^

on a scale of 1 to brownieman about 4.

To be honest I hope we don’t sign dez or lafell. I rate Higgins over both.  I want Janis to play st and then keep which ever wr between th scrubs deserve it.

Since that was top-level, are you saying that bronwie is only a 3? That's cold blooded, even for you.

Archived