What is going on with Kevin King's shoulders?

Lodestar

17 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We just drafted a guy with a busted foot instead ha. Safe to say that was a poor evaluation all the way around by our guys.

I knew that was coming but I'm sure they felt better about Vince's than Carl's. Carl's history was way longer. At least that's how I remember it

13 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Hmm, I'd be curious to hear that argument from the medical staff. Bypassed one medical red flag for another in Biegel? 

I'm not sure all flags are equal there guys. You both know that.

1 minute ago, Norm said:

I'm not sure all flags are equal there guys. You both know that.

Sometimes you just have to admit you ****ed up and picked the wrong guy. I think this is going to be one of those times absent a turn around by Biegel. Guy is basically a red-shirt from last year but the early returns are not great. I'm sure he'll be around at least this year and next so we'll find out if he's Fackrell 2.0 or something more. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Sometimes you just have to admit you ****ed up and picked the wrong guy. I think this is going to be one of those times absent a turn around by Biegel. Guy is basically a red-shirt from last year but the early returns are not great. I'm sure he'll be around at least this year and next so we'll find out if he's Fackrell 2.0 or something more. 

I never wanted anything to do with Vince, ever. I'm just saying it probably wasn't a talent evaluation deal as far as I can tell. There's a reason he got passed on for so long. EVERY team ****ed up. I would have absolutely taken Lawson but I don't have access to their medical records either. 

We don't want any injuries by we always want to take risks in the draft with them...

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I don't yet believe Biegel is Fackrell 2.0, in part because Biegel was coming off a serious injury last season and deserves a bit more time and in part because it would really hurt if we had 2 draft whiffs at the same OLB position instead of just the one.

At least Gilbert has finally been allowed to move ahead of Fackrell on the depth chart, so there's that.

11 hours ago, packfanfb said:

How about we just draft Carl Lawson instead of Vince Biegel? Add Lawson to our pass rush. No hindsight there either. I wanted Lawson in the 3rd instead of Adams lol. Then he was right there 1st pick of day 3 

I'm right there with ya, I was so sure we were going to have back to back picks of Auburn pass rushers... both with a lot of potential in DT Adams and DE/OLB Lawson.

But next year is supposed to be loaded with DL and edge players so I figure they might have Matthews and Wilkerson replacements (if they don't resign)

My memory of Lawson (who I liked) and Biegel (who I liked too, but less), was this.

Lawson was very, very productive (when healthy), but often injured in college. Scouts said he was physically very 'tightly wound'* (I think that translates as stiff in the body), which contributes to injuries, so they thought he would have trouble staying healthy his whole career.

Biegel had a specific foot injury, that, unless given a long time to heal, would tend to re-occur later. The Packers took him and gave him that extended time to fully heal the injury.

The long-term health prognosis looked better for Biegel, but Lawson has made an impact already, where Biegel has yet to do so.

* Another player who had the 'tighly wound' label was safety Taylor Mays (drafted by the 49ers). He had all the speed you want, but was too stiff to manage the quick direction changes needed at the position. He was a bust as a draft pick.

9 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Are we concerned yet? Over/under 10 regular season games for King? Smh...

Cause he has a shoulder brace? Last year he had a torn labrum or rotator cuff, that's why his shoulder kept dislocating. Can tell you he's not coming back to practice in a day or two with another tear. 

This is nothing to be worried about. If anything the fact he no longer has a brace on the surgically repaired shoulder is a positive.

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Cause he has a shoulder brace? Last year he had a torn labrum or rotator cuff, that's why his shoulder kept dislocating. Can tell you he's not coming back to practice in a day or two with another tear. 

This is nothing to be worried about. If anything the fact he no longer has a brace on the surgically repaired shoulder is a positive.

If we are playing the percentages, risk factors for shoulder instability and labral tears increases with generalized hypermobility, previous dislocations in either shoulder, falling/diving on outstretched hand/arms (aka ....FOOSH).  King fits a good number of those risk factors.  My guess would be that he has some level of shoulder instability on the non-surgical shoulder and might be dealing with a similar situation as 2017. 

Certainly hoping that is not the case.

19 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Are we concerned yet? Over/under 10 regular season games for King? Smh...

You really do love hot takes and to get your bellyache on... awful

Last year King had a torn Librium that caused his left shoulder to dislocate. Is that happening to his right shoulder now, or are you just goin' full Chick Little?

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

You are more optimistic than I am. It's not like he's wearing the brace for the fun of it. He's wearing it because he's injured. Whether it's minor or something more (or will become something more) none of us know yet, but the fact is, two weeks in training camp, the guy hasn't even hit someone yet and he has another injured shoulder. We better hope it doesn't become an issue because King was supposed to be a critical piece to our defense this year. 

21 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Except for the fact that Carl Lawson's medical had him red flagged from multiple teams and took him off a LOT of draft boards.  I'd imagine that the Packers were one of those teams.

46 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Except for the fact that Carl Lawson's medical had him red flagged from multiple teams and took him off a LOT of draft boards.  I'd imagine that the Packers were one of those teams.

Yeah probably all teams either dropped him down a couple of rounds or took him off their boards completely... because at worse it looked like he had high 2nd round talent ... and he didn't get taken until the top/mid 4th... and taken by the Bengals who have an infamously cheap owner, who refuses to pay for a normal sized scouting group and I believe at times, Marvin Lewis has demand he opens his wallet some more to expand it at times... which is why I think the Bengals take more risk on talented but questionable but red flagged players over the years. (Also I've been noticing the Browns have been doing a lot of that in the 4th round in recent years too).

Archived