Training Camp Battle - Wide Receiver

DoleINGout

Wide Receiver  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which receivers are LEAST likely to make it?

• Riley McCarron
    • Eric Decker
    • Paul Turner
    • Kenny Britt
    • Chris Hogan
    • Philip Dorsett
    • Devin Lucien
    • Matthew Slater
    • Braxton Berrios
    • Cordarelle Patterson
    • Julian Edelman

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/23/2018 at 06:57 AM

Eric Decker has apparently dropped several passes in the rain soaked practice today on "short routes". The first preseason game Decker saw limited action. Meanwhile, aside from Cordarelle Patterson and Devin Lucien and to a lesser extent Braxton Berrios, the rest of the wide receivers dropped five passes. Philip Dorsett continues to work with Julian Edelman, Brady, and Gronk. Any chance we see a surprise cut of Chris Hogan? I think it's unlikely right now, but if he continues to drop catchable passes and gain no separation then he will likely not make it. Decker could be in trouble as well right now. Who's ultimately in? Will we see another free agent brought in? Can Kenny Britt or Riley McCarron actually prove something and earn a spot? This position is wide open, (no pun intended because these receivers aren't). Already fallen by the wayside are Malcolm Mitchell and Jordan MatthewsBrandon LaFell and Dez Bryant remain available free agents however and could be tempting at some point to sign. Cobi Hamilton and Brenton Bersin had been recently interviewed but neither player were offered a contract apparently. What's happening! Will the offense shift to using more tight ends with the relative depth at that position? How about running more with an old quarterback and talented offensive line with a stable of versatile backs? Perhaps the wide receiver position won't be featured as much in 2018-2019.

My latest projection:

Edelman*

Britt

Hogan/Dorsett

Lucien

Patterson

Berrios

Slater

9 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I think it is entirely possible that Hogan is a surprise cut. He had his moments, but was relatively inconsistent. 

Interesting you think Dorsett and Decker are more likely than Hogan and Patterson among others. I can dig it.

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

I think it is entirely possible that Hogan is a surprise cut. He had his moments, but was relatively inconsistent. 

Pretty overrated honestly. When he's had to be the #1-2 option, he's crumbled....

Cut Chris Hogan? Lol.

Are people just going to ignore the numbers he's put up when healthy and how much Brady likes him? I mean just look at the first 5 games last year when he was playing healthy, 5 TD's in 5 games and was off to one of the better receiving seasons in the league.

Laughable that people are so quick to predict "surprise cuts", yet they want them to be replaced with guys who have proven nothing here like Britt, Dorsett, Berrios, etc.

I'm not saying I want Chris Hogan replaced with these other receivers, I'm just speculating that that's what could happen. It wouldn't come as a shock to me anymore is all because he seems to be productive only when he is healthy with Brady throwing him the football. Otherwise Hogan is just another guy, but I would still think have an edge over Decker and others due to experience on the Pats.

3 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Cut Chris Hogan? Lol.

Are people just going to ignore the numbers he's put up when healthy and how much Brady likes him? I mean just look at the first 5 games last year when he was playing healthy, 5 TD's in 5 games and was off to one of the better receiving seasons in the league.

Laughable that people are so quick to predict "surprise cuts", yet they want them to be replaced with guys who have proven nothing here like Britt, Dorsett, Berrios, etc.

No one is advocating for him to be cut. I certainly dont want it to happen. However, he is the type of guy that will regress quickly and it wouldnt shock me if the $ doesnt match what he is putting in on the practice field. We all know how the Patriots operate, and if you are not producing to the point of value, they wont hesitate to make the cut. 

Again, not advocating and do not want to see it happen. 

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Key word there is STILL

Yeah I saw the “still” word used yesterday too when describing Decker’s woes. Apparently the media wants it out there that Decker is “still” not ready and possibly that other options are “still” out there, (a la Dez Bryant for example). The media coverage when Decker signed wasn’t so much about his clutch playoff performances but about how he struggled with drops. I think it’s a politically charged debate honestly about who the Patriots tend to sign at receiver. It’s a conspiracy. ? 

At least Decker was able to orb exclusively on a side field with Brady, Gronk, Edelman and Dorset though.

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

The Patriots do have a long history of adding vet receivers who just dont work out at all. Joey Galloway, Torry Holt, Chad Ochocinco, and Reggie Wayne come to mind. 

Tru tru. All of those guys except for maybe Galloway was just signing for the heck of it though. Wayne and Holt were just like, "Yeah. It's the Patriots bruh. Championships!!! Wooooo!

22 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

QFT. I understand the notion when there are viable alternatives on the horizon, but this time there aren't (I don't see Bryant as one).

3 hours ago, LD696 said:

QFT. I understand the notion when there are viable alternatives on the horizon, but this time there aren't (I don't see Bryant as one).

Hogan struggles to find separation unless there is a breakdown on defense both he and Tom Brady see or the play is designed to get Hogan open. As a receiver Hogan has been susceptible to dropping passes lately and it's normal to wonder if maybe he will be cut from the roster.

There is no doubt about the significance of Chris Hogan to the Patriots over his tenure here, but I see early indications that suggest it may be over soon.

Archived