Predict the 53 - Update Page 3

MKnight82

Here's mine after Preseason Week 1:

QB (2): Alex Smith, Colt McCoy

Just missed the cut: Kevin Hogan

- The top two are set.  Hogan doesn't look worth keeping around IMO.  

HB (4): Chris Thompson, Samaje Perine, Rob Kelley, Byron Marshall

Just missed the cut: Kapri Bibbs

- Perine and Kelley are the bruisers.  Marshall will back up Thompson as the receiving/scat back.  Kelley benefits from Guice being out.  

TE (3): Jordan Reed, Vernon Davis, Jeremy Sprinkle

Just missed the cut: Matt Flanagan

- Ideally we'd take 4 here since we don't carry a FB, but I don't see anyone worth a final roster spot.  Plus, Perine can probably play some FB.  I don't think Wellman has a chance at the final roster.

WR (6): Josh Doctson, Paul Richardson, Jamison Crowder, Maurice Harris, Brian Quick, Trey Quinn

Just missed the cut: Simmie Cobbs

- The top 4 are set IMO.  Quick stays because he plays ST.  Quinn's a draft pick and can back up Crowder at the slot.  Cobbs heads to the PS.  

OT (4): Trent Williams, Morgan Moses, Ty Nsekhe, Geron Christian

Just missed the cut: None

- All four of these are guaranteed roster spots and I don't think there's anyone close to making the roster behind them.  

OG (2): Brandon Scherff, Shawn Lauvao

Just missed the cut: Kyle Kalis

- We'll likely carry two or more Olineman on the PS for injury backups, but I don't see many of the interior lineman backups making the final roster.  In fact, we may try to pick up someone cut from another roster to add a 3rd guard.  For now, I say we only go with 2.  Nsekhe and Bergstrom can play Guard in a pinch.  

OC (2): Chase Roullier, Tony Bergstrom

- Bergstrom will be the primary "swing" backup for the interior lineman.  

DE (5): Jonathan Allen, Matt Ioannidis, Anthony Lanier, Ziggy Hood, Stacey McGee

- Stacey McGee was the last person on my final 53 list to make it.  He only made the cut because when I went back and counted I had an extra roster spot.  I think its up for debate whether we carry 6 or 7 DLineman.  In this mock I have us going with 7.  

NT (2): Daron Payne, Tim Settle

Just missed the cut: Phil Taylor

- I don't see any way Settle doesn't make the roster at this point.  With Payne and Settle entrenched, and McGee and Hood being able to play NT in an emergency, there just isn't a need to carry another player who can only play NT.  Hence why Phil Taylor gets cut.  

OLB (4): Ryan Kerrigan, Preston Smith, Pernell McPhee, Ryan Anderson

Just missed the cut: None

- Unless someone gets hurt, these 4 aren't in question.  

MLB (5): Zach Brown, Mason Foster, Martrell Spaight, Josh Harvey-Clemons, Shaun Dion Hamilton

Just missed the cut: Zach Vigil, Pete Robertson

- I can't see us carrying more than 9 LBers.  The top 4 OLBs are locks, so the MLBs get pinched.  Maybe they carry someone like Vigil over Stacey McGee, especially if McGee still isn't healthy.  Right now I have 5 here.  

CB (6): Josh Norman, Quinton Dunbar, Fabian Moreau, Orlando Scandrick, Greg Stroman, Adonis Alexander

Just missed the cut: Danny Johnson

- Despite all the good press about Danny Johnson in practice, he doesn't make the cut.  The top 4 are likely locks, and Stroman provides upside at KR/PR.  I think they keep Alexander because they don't think he'll clear waivers and want him as a long term upside play.  

S (5): DJ Swearinger, Montae Nicholson, Troy Apke, DeShazor Everett, Kenny Ladler

Just missed the cut: Quinn Blanding

- The top 3 are locks, and Everett probably is as well simply because no one has stepped up to take his place.  We'll likely carry 5 to help on ST.  Ladler has proved more so far compared to Blanding.  

ST (3): Dustin Hopkins, Tress Way, Nick Sundberg

Just missed the cut: None

- They didn't bring any competition for any of these guys, they aren't going anywhere.  

Final Count:

Offense: 23

Defense: 27

ST: 3

I think you have it pretty well nailed down barring additional injury.  I get the impression they really like Catalina but I’d rather have Bergstrom. By my count 13 new guys who weren’t with the team at some point last year with 2 new draftees on offense and 6 draftees on defense. Let’s dispense with the preseason! 

I like what you did Mknight. I guess there’s only a few things for me where I might go in a different direction, but it’s not huge.

I think we’ll keep 9 OL, so Catalina or Kalis will make the team.

I think Cam Sims has a strong chance to make the team over Brian Quick. Sims is huge and athletic, if he continues to show off in the preseason - which I expect - it’s going to be hard to keep him off the roster.

I would keep Phil Taylor over Stacy McGee if Taylor shows well during the preseason because we can save $4 million by cutting McGee, but that’s only if Taylor looks good and Settle continue to looks good, which I expect.

I think Danny Johnson has a strong chance to make it over Stroman. I know you mentioned Stroman’s return ability, but if we have Crowder, Marshall, Quinn and Apke on the team that’s not a big deal. We’ll have guys who can return and we don’t have to keep a lesser corner just because Stroman can return. 

Stroman has definitely not looked like a lesser CB so far, imho. Not from camp reports, and not from PS game 1. 

Unless he goes downhill, he needs to make the 53. Would some team snag him? I don't know.. but if he keeps up as is? he deserves to stick. 

With the surprise Scandrick move, I think that clears up one of the roster crunches (namely, Danny Johnson or Adonis Alexander). 

I agree with turtle (and Doc, by implication) that they’ll keep 9 OL. I obviously would like to see them find another OG who isn’t on the roster currently, but for now I think they would keep Catalina as the 9th OL. They seem to like his versatility — I actually think there’s a better than zero chance that they would even use him at OT before Christian at this point, just for reliability reasons. 

That would require a spot to open up, and for me that cut would be Ziggy Hood or Stacey McGee. In this day and age, I think 6 DL is plenty in a 3-4 and those two are pretty redundant. I wouldn’t want to see us cut someone like Adonis, Ladler, Quinn, SDH, JHC, etc., in order to keep a 30-year-old 3rd string DE. Not when we’re in pass-rush packages as frequently as we are. I could see it being Ladler or one of the CBs that goes though — 11 DBs is a lot.

Aside from those little adjustments, I think I’m right with you.

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

With the surprise Scandrick move, I think that clears up one of the roster crunches (namely, Danny Johnson or Adonis Alexander). 

I agree with turtle (and Doc, by implication) that they’ll keep 9 OL. I obviously would like to see them find another OG who isn’t on the roster currently, but for now I think they would keep Catalina as the 9th OL. They seem to like his versatility — I actually think there’s a better than zero chance that they would even use him at OT before Christian at this point, just for reliability reasons. 

That would require a spot to open up, and for me that cut would be Ziggy Hood or Stacey McGee. In this day and age, I think 6 DL is plenty in a 3-4 and those two are pretty redundant. I wouldn’t want to see us cut someone like Adonis, Ladler, Quinn, SDH, JHC, etc., in order to keep a 30-year-old 3rd string DE. Not when we’re in pass-rush packages as frequently as we are. I could see it being Ladler or one of the CBs that goes though — 11 DBs is a lot.

Aside from those little adjustments, I think I’m right with you.

That’s a good point about 11 DBs, that is a lot of DBs to keep.

On 8/13/2018 at 10:34 AM, MKnight82 said:

Here's mine after Preseason Week 1:

QB (2): Alex Smith, Colt McCoy

HB (4): Chris Thompson, Samaje Perine, Kapri Bibbs, Rob Kelley

TE (3): Jordan Reed, Vernon Davis, Jeremy Sprinkle

WR (6): Josh Doctson, Paul Richardson, Jamison Crowder, Maurice Harris, Chris Sims, Trey Quinn

OT (4): Trent Williams, Morgan Moses, Ty Nsekhe, Geron Christian

OG (3): Brandon Scherff, Shawn Lauvao, Kyle Kalis

OC (2): Chase Roullier, Tony Bergstrom

DE (5): Jonathan Allen, Matt Ioannidis, Anthony Lanier, Ziggy Hood, Stacey McGee

NT (2): Daron Payne, Tim Settle

OLB (5): Ryan Kerrigan, Preston Smith, Pernell McPhee, Ryan Anderson, Pete Robertson

MLB (4): Zach Brown, Mason Foster,  Josh Harvey-Clemons, Shaun Dion Hamilton

CB (6): Josh Norman, Quinton Dunbar, Fabian Moreau, Greg Stroman, Adonis Alexander, Danny Johnson

S (4): DJ Swearinger, Montae Nicholson, Troy Apke, DeShazor Everett

ST (3): Dustin Hopkins, Tress Way, Nick Sundberg

Final Count:

Offense: 24

Defense: 26

ST: 3

This is how I see it. 

Archived