Does Rivers make the HoF?

patriotsheatyan

28 minutes ago, The Third Rider said:

So how many QBs are we putting in the hall? Brady, Rogers, Eli, Payton, Brees, Romo, Rivers and Big Ben all played at about the same time. 

Romo definitely isn't getting in. Rivers eventually will, but it will take roughly as long as Eli Manning.

31 minutes ago, The Third Rider said:

So how many QBs are we putting in the hall? Brady, Rogers, Eli, Peyton, Brees, Romo, Rivers and Big Ben all played at about the same time. 

Yes

Even though Eli was carried most of his successful career.

Just now, Danger said:

Yes

Even though Eli was carried most of his successful career.

In fairness, there were plenty of times Eli did heavy lifting during the super bowl years. When he was being good Eli, he was very good.  Still don't think he should be a hall of famer, but like you, agree he'll get in. 

Just now, Forge said:

In fairness, there were plenty of times Eli did heavy lifting during the super bowl years. When he was being good Eli, he was very good.  Still don't think he should be a hall of famer, but like you, agree he'll get in. 

I'll give him 2011 he pulled his own weight, but 2007 was luck/defense.

20 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

If Rivers makes three more pro bowls without accomplishing much else, would ten probowls at QB effectively require him to get in?

Pro bowls are kind of a joke though, so I'm not sure how weighted those are going to be anymore. Maybe they do mean something, I don't know. . He has no first or even second team all pro selections, however. He has no super bowl wins in an era notable for the quarterbacks it has produced, most of whom have at least one title (Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers...Manning if you want to include him), and the ones without one (Palmer, Romo, etc) are generally not considered Hall of Famers. 

What Rivers has going for him is stats... he doesn't have that ring which I think would make him a lock. Its going to come down to the last couple years and who knows, maybe he can "Elway" himself into a ring or two with this current team. If they don't end up with the success in the post season then its going to come down to if the voters care about bulk stats.

Currently he is 9th in career yards, at worst he should be 8th by the end of this season or possibly 6th if he has a much better year than Roethlisberger (+717) or Eli (+1334). He is also just over 10k yards behind Marino who is currently 5th. If we assume Rivers has 3 more years left then he has a good shot to eclipse Marino for passing yards. I see 5th being the best he can do behind Brady, Brees, Favre, and Manning.

He is currently 8th in career passer rating.

47th in INTs with 166 which is less than all of the other big QBs of the era except Brady. For comparison, Favre has the most with 336, Brees and Eli have 228, Marino 252, Peyton 251, Ben 174.

Currently 6th in TDs with 342, 78 behind Marino for 5th which is obtainable assuming 3 more years like above. 

Stuff that hurts his case is items like 4th qtr comebacks where is is tied for 19th with 23 while most of his adversaries have a few more. This further proves the "clutch" factor people say he lacks when it comes to important games like... playoffs. 

Another thing to think about is when comparing him to the other 04' draft class guys is he started 2 years after Eli/Ben because of Brees turning into the HoF QB once they drafted Rivers. I think he would have been well above those guys stats wise if he played from the start like they did.

I think he is one who could sit around in that "almost" category unless he can make it to a couple Super Bowls over the next couple years and brings 1 ring home. 

6 minutes ago, Zappaz said:

What Rivers has going for him is stats... he doesn't have that ring which I think would make him a lock. Its going to come down to the last couple years and who knows, maybe he can "Elway" himself into a ring or two with this current team. If they don't end up with the success in the post season then its going to come down to if the voters care about bulk stats.

Currently he is 9th in career yards, at worst he should be 8th by the end of this season or possibly 6th if he has a much better year than Roethlisberger (+717) or Eli (+1334). He is also just over 10k yards behind Marino who is currently 5th. If we assume Rivers has 3 more years left then he has a good shot to eclipse Marino for passing yards. I see 5th being the best he can do behind Brady, Brees, Favre, and Manning.

He is currently 8th in career passer rating.

47th in INTs with 166 which is less than all of the other big QBs of the era except Brady. For comparison, Favre has the most with 336, Brees and Eli have 228, Marino 252, Peyton 251, Ben 174.

Currently 6th in TDs with 342, 78 behind Marino for 5th which is obtainable assuming 3 more years like above. 

Stuff that hurts his case is items like 4th qtr comebacks where is is tied for 19th with 23 while most of his adversaries have a few more. This further proves the "clutch" factor people say he lacks when it comes to important games like... playoffs. 

Another thing to think about is when comparing him to the other 04' draft class guys is he started 2 years after Eli/Ben because of Brees turning into the HoF QB once they drafted Rivers. I think he would have been well above those guys stats wise if he played from the start like they did.

I think he is one who could sit around in that "almost" category unless he can make it to a couple Super Bowls over the next couple years and brings 1 ring home. 

He's the Frank Gore of quarterbacks. 

I wouldn't put him in, but it wouldn't surprise me if he does.

One thing I've learned over the years is that I'm much more strict about who should make various Halls of Fame than the actual voters. The only one where it's not entirely true is the baseball HoF, but that's a little misleading. They've left out plenty I think that should be in, but meanwhile have been letting in tons that I don't agree with.

Will he likely have the stats? Yes.

Does he have the postseason resume? No (obvious subject to change).

Has he ever been the best or in conversation for best QB in the league? No. 

t6Eofsn_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

EDIT: For him to get in (strictly from my perspective) he’d need to continue producing, go on multiple post season runs, win at least one championship, and assert himself as equal to the Brady/Rodgers of the world.

Archived