Does Rivers make the HoF?

patriotsheatyan

On 8/14/2018 at 10:51 AM, lancerman said:

I mean it depends. When Rodgers retires he might be the 3rd best QB of that quartet. If the era is stacked I don’t mind some super high high caliber guys waiting a year or so to make room for other positions that are actually backlogged (cough WR)

It really doesn't at this point. Rodgers punched his ticket to 1st ballot pretty much. He doesn't have the bulk stats yet but:

1. Superbowl Win.

2. Superbowl MVP.

3. 2 time NFL MVP .

4. #1 in passing rating.

5. Currently #10 in passing TDs. Will improve. 

6. Currently #20 in passing yards. Will improve. 

7. Considered the best QB in football at points in his career if not the most talented ever. 

I think even if he didn't play another down it would have to be a really really good class to keep him off 1st ballot. 

To the topic at hand i'm not a fan putting anyone in the hall that was never really the best or top 3 to 5 at their position at some point in their career. Same reason I don't want Eli in. 

On 8/13/2018 at 2:22 PM, Danger said:

I'll give him 2011 he pulled his own weight, but 2007 was luck/defense.

Pulled his own weight is a bit of an understatement.  He carried that 2011 team.  The Giants had the worst running game in the league, literally 32nd in yards per rush.  A bottom 10 defense, though they played better in the playoffs.  As a result Eli needed to throw for over 6000 yards (regular season and playoffs), and lead 7 fourth quarter comebacks.  He should have been league MVP for his efforts.

Rivers may get in eventually because he has such pretty stats.  I don’t think they tell the whole story with him though. He played with some great offensive talent including two hall of famers, but never really sniffed the Super Bowl.  Even his play style was underwhelming imo.  His pretty stats are largely due to a lot of dink and dunking to running backs.  That’s not to say he can’t sling it, but from LDT to Sprolles to Woodhead, he seems to always have that checkdown to inflate his numbers.

13 hours ago, Gmen said:

Pulled his own weight is a bit of an understatement.  He carried that 2011 team.  The Giants had the worst running game in the league, literally 32nd in yards per rush.  A bottom 10 defense, though they played better in the playoffs.  As a result Eli needed to throw for over 6000 yards (regular season and playoffs), and lead 7 fourth quarter comebacks.  He should have been league MVP for his efforts.

Rivers may get in eventually because he has such pretty stats.  I don’t think they tell the whole story with him though. He played with some great offensive talent including two hall of famers, but never really sniffed the Super Bowl.  Even his play style was underwhelming imo.  His pretty stats are largely due to a lot of dink and dunking to running backs.  That’s not to say he can’t sling it, but from LDT to Sprolles to Woodhead, he seems to always have that checkdown to inflate his numbers.

There's no way he was getting MVP over Rodgers or Brees 

If he doesn't it will just be another disappointment much like the teams he's been surrounded with for most of his career. 

He's better than the two time SB winning QB by a fair margin(The Funny looking one) and has always been a top 10 QB, I'd say yes.

But I am biased.

3 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

If he doesn't it will just be another disappointment much like the teams he's been surrounded with for most of his career. 

He's better than the two time SB winning QB by a fair margin(The Funny looking one) and has always been a top 10 QB, I'd say yes.

But I am biased.

Top 10 <> HOF

If you aren't considered to be in the absolute top tier of QBs then why bother putting them in?  You think Stafford should be in?  I mean Eli Manning has pretty much damn near identical stats at Rivers.

Eli vs Ben vs Rivers

Look at that.  Nearly identical stats, though 2 of the 3 have multiple SB rings, the other... nope notta.

6 hours ago, Classic said:

I don't care as long as Eli doesn't go to the Hall, I'm good.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Eli is pretty much a lock. He has the Super Bowl moments and the last name.

1 hour ago, Elky said:

Hate to burst your bubble, but Eli is pretty much a lock. He has the Super Bowl moments and the last name.

This is such a dumb argument. Specifically the last name thing. There are exactly two Manning’s besides Eli to play in the NFL. One is gauranteed to get in because he was the best volume stat QB of his era, broke the TD record twice and holds the most MVP’s. If he had my last name he’s still getting in.

The other is universally regarded as a great player who was saddled with a poor team. He’s extrememly respected in all football circles. He didn’t get in. 

If Eli’s getting in off Super Bowl moments then Tyree should get in

3 minutes ago, lancerman said:

If Eli’s getting in off Super Bowl moments then Tyree should get in

Superbowls are only a part of it.  When he retires Eli will be top 6-8 all time in passing yards and touchdowns. Most people don’t realize that. Longevity, toughness, clutchness.  The only knock on him is he didn’t take care of the ball, but that didn’t stop Favre.

4 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Superbowls are only a part of it.  When he retires Eli will be top 6-8 all time in passing yards and touchdowns. Most people don’t realize that. Longevity, toughness, clutchness.  The only knock on him is he didn’t take care of the ball, but that didn’t stop Favre.

Favre was a 3 time mvp. Eli was never in the discussion 

17 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Favre was a 3 time mvp. Eli was never in the discussion 

He should’ve been in 2011.  

It depends on your criteria, but ultimately I think Eli gets in due to the 2 SB mvps and bulk stats. especially if he ends his career on a high note.  Not first ballot obviously, but he’ll get in.  

7 minutes ago, Gmen said:

He should’ve been in 2011.  

It depends on your criteria, but ultimately I think Eli gets in due to the 2 SB mvps and bulk stats. especially if he ends his career on a high note.  Not first ballot obviously, but he’ll get in.  

Coulda, shoulda, woulda. :)

Archived