Rams/Donald expected to announce agreement

WizardHawk

Big contract, but hey if the Rams didn't offer it him, you can bet one of the other NFL front offices would be.

Donald has been an absolute beast, for multiple seasons, and has had no off field issues. The majority of the teams in the league would love to have that chance to throw that money at Aaron Donald to be on their D-Line. Just that the Rams were smart enough to draft him and be their disruptor. The money might be eye opening now but just wait till he's back on the field.

As for Khalil Mack and the Raiders. I said previously that I thought that they should be trying to get the contract done before Donald's, so that they weren't set a price by Donald's contract. Can only see Mack asking for more than this now and a deal with the Raiders seems further away than ever at the moment. 

14 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

If that's the case, your issue with Ramster isn't how he's rating his play, it's that his comment is premature. 

Nope. Because Ramster didn’t say “Donald is playing at a HOF level”.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

So you don't believe Aaron Donald is playing like a first ballot HOFer, then?

28 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I wouldn’t argue it, but I wouldn’t die on that hill either.

But again, moot point in regards to what Ramster said.

Is Aaron Donald in the HOF/does he presently have a HOF resume?

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

He might. But you're quibbling with longevity, not the evaluation of his play.

34 minutes ago, VanS said:

If Matt Ryan (who is a product of Julio Jones) can get $30 million/yr then Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack definitely deserve to be in the $24-25 million/yr range.  

Not really, there's only so much value a single defender can bring to the table. For every Aaron Donald i'll take 3 very good starters ($8mil/yr vs. 24 mil/yr) I could pay for instead.

2 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

Not really, there's only so much value a single defender can bring to the table. For every Aaron Donald i'll take 3 very good starters ($8mil/yr vs. 24 mil/yr) I could pay for instead.

That’s a damm lie. Donald is 4 of those guys put together. Even if you combine them they might get you the numbers Donald gets you by himself. Just pay the man, not my money. 

8 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

This is such a bs post. Yes, maybe or no? Tip toe dancing around. You know damm well Donald is headed for canton. 

Me: Donald is a great player.

yimg yang twins: I’m not saying he is but I’m not saying he ain’t? 

Wth?

Just now, jrry32 said:

He might. But you're quibbling with longevity, not the evaluation of his play.

That doesn’t directly answer my question, but in a way, it still does.

It’s more semantical than anything else, honestly. If he said “is playing like a HOFer” you’d have not heard from me at all. 

But Donald unequivocally does not have a HOF resume right now. Will he? Maybe. Is he on pace production wise? Argument can be made. Does his level of play exhibit it? Easy claim to make. Is he right now? Nope. Crowning someone with an award/title before earning it is overrating to me, but like I said above, that’s semantics.

5 minutes ago, El ramster said:

This is such a bs post. Yes, maybe or no? Tip toe dancing around. You know damm well Donald is headed for canton. 

Me: Donald is a great player.

yimg yang twins: I’m not saying he is but I’m not saying he ain’t? 

Wth?

You didn’t even quote yourself right.

He is a great player. Obviously. One of the best defensive players in the league. Still not currently a “first ballot HOFer”.

13 minutes ago, El ramster said:

That’s a damm lie. Donald is 4 of those guys put together. Even if you combine them they might get you the numbers Donald gets you by himself. Just pay the man, not my money. 

The rams are obviously going to pay him, I'm just saying I'd rather trade him or have 3-4 talented starters vs. a top 3 defender.

12 minutes ago, N4L said:

If he retired today would he be a first ballot HOFer? 

Dunno. But he's not retiring today.

3 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

The rams are obviously going to pay him, I'm just saying I'd rather trade him or have 3-4 talented starters vs. a top 3 defender.

Where are you going to get 3 or 4 talented starters? Moreover, 3 or 4 talented starters would cost more than one Aaron Donald.

The Rams hater in me wants to criticize, but I really can't. He's really good, and thinking outside fandom for a second, this continues a trend towards more player-friendly contracts with higher guarantees. Good to see that the NFL players realize they have more leverage in their negotiations than they have historically utilized. 

41 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

He is a great player. Obviously. One of the best defensive players in the league. Still not currently a “first ballot HOFer”.

Yeah. If I'm 1st in my class at medical school you can bet that I will likely be a doctor in the future. Still doesn't make me a Dr. today. Donald is probably going to be 1st ballot. I wouldn't let him remove my kidney though.

Archived