Rams/Donald expected to announce agreement

WizardHawk

27 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The general point being, if you are a professional sports team spending 5% of yearly revenue on a superstar player is reasonable from a business perspective. It's not crazy that Donald is making that much money, because NFL teams are making a crazy amount of money.

What a Franchise makes has nothing to do with the limitations of the Cap. Players contracts are getting rediculous. $17-$20M WR, $25M DT/DE,$15M RB, $30+M QB. List goes on.

So it's not about 1 player but the fact eventually when Goff somehow warrants a $35M contract because that's the "going rate" for FQB the Rams will have paid all 4 of the above.

Then run your numbers and tell me how that effects the other 49 players making up the roster? I'm curious. I'm not suggesting the Rams are wrong for paying top dollar (they should) but acting like there won't be any reprecussions down the line when others too have to be paid is rediculous.

Once again good for Donald. Maybe someday he's able to join the only other $100m Defensive player to ever win a SB after signing such a contract. Maybe not, we'll see?

27 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

What a Franchise makes has nothing to do with the limitations of the Cap.

The NFL salary cap is based on the league's collective revenue, which is the sum of team's revenues. So...yeah, what a franchise makes has something to do with the limitations of the salary cap.

rediculous.

Nailed it.

$17-$20M WR, $25M DT/DE,$15M RB, $30+M QB. List goes on.

This is the thing that NFL fans put on repeat that is just mind-numbingly devoid of context.

~$1B Dallas Cowboys
~$700M New England Patriots
~$600M New York Giants
~$550M Washington Redskins

That list goes on too. NFL teams make crazy amounts of money. Per the CBA, players get half. Therefore, players make half-crazy money.

Posting a dollar figure without any context whatsoever somewhere between comically naive of how NFL contracts work and intentionally deceptive.  

So it's not about 1 player but the fact eventually when Goff somehow warrants a $35M contract because that's the "going rate" for FQB the Rams will have paid all 4 of the above.

In 3+ years. When Donald's contract is over. And when league revenues keep rising, that $35M AAV probably won't be too far off 5% of the yearly revenue.

Then run your numbers and tell me how that effects the other 49 players making up the roster? I'm curious. I'm not suggesting the Rams are wrong for paying top dollar (they should) but acting like there won't be any reprecussions down the line when others too have to be paid is rediculous.

Once again good for Donald. Maybe someday he's able to join the only other $100m Defensive player to ever win a SB after signing such a contract. Maybe not, we'll see?

Where did I say there would be no repercussions? There obviously are. They just spent 5% of their yearly revenue on 1 player. All my post showed (with a small sample that you're welcome to add to), is that the trend we see over and over and over again across different leagues is when you have a superstar player, ~5% yearly revenue and skimping at other spots on the roster makes more sense than letting them leave.

I saw a report by John Clayton the Rams expected to have a deal done with AD by the 2nd preseason game. So tomorrow we shall see. All this tells me is he will get signed by Week 1 of the regular season. All this nonsense about him holding out throughout the regular season is crazy talk. He will be a Rams for many many seasons to come.

4 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

I saw a report by John Clayton the Rams expected to have a deal done with AD by the 2nd preseason game. So tomorrow we shall see. All this tells me is he will get signed by Week 1 of the regular season. All this nonsense about him holding out throughout the regular season is crazy talk. He will be a Rams for many many seasons to come.

That’s unfair that he gets to be more than one.

On 8/14/2018 at 6:26 AM, Nabbs4u said:

What a Franchise makes has nothing to do with the limitations of the Cap. Players contracts are getting rediculous. $17-$20M WR, $25M DT/DE,$15M RB, $30+M QB. List goes on.

JMO Baseball players get the most outrageous contracts. In a sport that may leave him mentally disabled when he's older. I say let him earn that much. Theres more at risk with football players then physical trauma.

Archived