Whose offense?

Cheech

Over the last few years (dating back to Denver loss in 2015, actually) I've bemoaned the isolation route offense extensively employed by Rodgers/MM.  

In that system Rodgers will only play with receivers that can read the defense through his eyes.  As those receivers have aged and their ability to stretch the defense has waned, the offense has become stagnant.  The YAC from Jennings, Jordy, Jones, Cobb, Finley, and Driver that we were so fond of early in Rodgers' career has seemingly gone down the tube.  The offense just isn't what it could be/once was.  Last year we saw Viking DB's running routes for (and in some cases, better than) the Packers receivers.  

That's why I was thrilled when Philbin came back this off-season.  That's why I'm excited about the rookie receivers.  The potential for an explosive offense has returned under Philbin's guidance and some fresh legs at RB, WR, and field stretching ability at TE.  

Benoit has taken some flack for some of his comments on Twitter today, but I found this bit of his SI article to be absolutely spot on.  

Though capable of beating defenses with quick throws and shrewd presnap reads, Rodgers often prefers to go off-schedule and make plays outside of structure. He frequently passes up open receivers and leaves clean pocket, something that would warrant a reprimand for most quarterbacks. But Rodgers, the most physically gifted quarterback of all-time, often winds up making better plays when he follows his instincts. The tricky part: this unorthodox approach is more conducive to spread formations and isolation routes, partly why you don’t often see Green Bay employ presnap motion, switch releases and route combinations. McCarthy’s challenge is finding a happy medium. Iso routes might fit Rodgers, but if they’re relied upon too heavily, a passing game suffers dry spells. - https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/13/green-bay-packers-2018-preview?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com 

SO - I'm curious whose offense we are ultimately going to see this year.  Will Philbin bring back the vertical component?  Will Rodgers balk at more athletic receivers getting playing time over "trustworthy" (read: less athletic) guys like Allison and Kumero?  Will MM find that happy balance of letting 12 improvise and forcing his hand in order to restore some of the old explosive components of the early 2010's?  

I'd love to continue this discussion throughout the preseason and regular season based off of what you all see.  

We've never been a vertical offense. We always are one of the leaders in 3 step throws. We loved to play action off Eddie Lacy and hit Jordy deep in those prime years with a run game, but the Jennings/Jones/Driver/Cobb's of the world we're never deep threats consistently.

You'd be foolish to draft MVS and ESB and not let them play deep (although ESB has a really nice slant/crossing game that plays well in the 3 step) Davante is an absolute 3 step monster and Cobb isn't shabby himself. I think Graham despite his speed not being once was will be the deep threat this year. Tae can is well rounded and can really do anything, but the 3 step game is where he's lethal.

I doubt we see a ton of change. I think what we'll see it a playbook that was 10+ years old shaved down immensely into a more concise, built for success call sheet. No reason to keep things around that weren't overly successful. Philbin comes in and gives Mac an honest outside opinion on what's happened since his departure.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't see many different concepts last night.  Especially the first half.  

We know what to expect for the next few weeks since Rodgers' mobility will be very limited.  Pistol formations and quick hitters with a lot of inside zone runs.  

I'm fearful of what next Sunday will look like with a secondary much more capable of shutting our receivers down. 

7 minutes ago, Cheech said:

I didn't see many different concepts last night.  Especially the first half.  

We know what to expect for the next few weeks since Rodgers' mobility will be very limited.  Pistol formations and quick hitters with a lot of inside zone runs.  

I'm fearful of what next Sunday will look like with a secondary much more capable of shutting our receivers down. 

I think Zimmer tries to bring the heat early and often and take Rogers out of the game, literally. Yes, I think the Vikings are not above dirty tactics. The Vikings are dealing with a couple of injuries at the CB position. I like our chances against the rookie and Kearse playing nickle. 

It's a tough test with Rodgers less than 100%, but if it forces him to play within the offense and get the ball out on time, it could be a bonus for us. 

Just now, Golfman said:

I think Zimmer tries to bring the heat early and often and take Rogers out of the game, literally. Yes, I think the Vikings are not above dirty tactics. The Vikings are dealing with a couple of injuries at the CB position. I like our chances against the rookie and Kearse playing nickle. 

It's a tough test with Rodgers less than 100%, but if it forces him to play within the offense and get the ball out on time, it could be a bonus for us. 

I would consider that prudent defensive strategy not dirty tactics.

Just now, Golfman said:

Depends where they hit him and if it's late or not. 

sounds like dirty plays/dirty players not dirty tactics is the distinction I'm trying to make.  Zimmer bringing the heat and forcing Rodgers to get the ball out or take hits which could knock him out is prudent sound strategy.

I thought the Vikings secondary vs San Francisco was looking like classic Seattle "grab and jab and push on every play so the refs start to upwardly adjust the contact they'll tolerate for holding/PI." Let's hope we have a few traps in mind to punish their aggressive nature.

http://www.packtothefuture.com/articles/the-passing-chronicles-week-1-when-the-night-is-over/http://www.packtothefuture.com/articles/the-passing-chronicles-week-1-when-the-night-is-over/

This is some impressive film review.  Check it out.  

If the first game is any indication, the answer to the "whose offense?" question is starting to reveal itself.  

Yes, we're seeing a few more route combinations. 

No, the offense isn't going to be very creative. 

No, Iso routes are not going away.  (Which is baffling, tbh.)

Yes, we're seeing more vertical elements, but we're still not using the space that those vertical routes create underneath well enough.  

6 hours ago, Cheech said:

http://www.packtothefuture.com/articles/the-passing-chronicles-week-1-when-the-night-is-over/http://www.packtothefuture.com/articles/the-passing-chronicles-week-1-when-the-night-is-over/

This is some impressive film review.  Check it out.  

If the first game is any indication, the answer to the "whose offense?" question is starting to reveal itself.  

Yes, we're seeing a few more route combinations. 

No, the offense isn't going to be very creative. 

No, Iso routes are not going away.  (Which is baffling, tbh.)

Yes, we're seeing more vertical elements, but we're still not using the space that those vertical routes create underneath well enough.  

So what you’re saying is MM is going to once again stand pat with his old offensive game plan and rely solely on his players being successful at “executing the fundamentals”?  Welp, that’s reassuring.  Sigh.

Archived