N4L

Do you like?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this move?

• Yes
    • No

I like it.

He's a different running style back with a little more heft

we aren't asking him to be the bell-cow back so his age (29) isn't going to be an issue

He is familiar with Shanny's Offense so very short learning curve there

I'm sure we aren't paying him much and if he works out can finish his career here in SF and help us contend

1 hour ago, N4L said:

https://www.49ers.com/news/shanahan-49ers-to-sign-veteran-rb-alfred-morris 

Obviously we are very thin at RB currently. Even before the injuries this is the type of back we needed in my opinion.

It will be interesting to see how much tread he has left on the tires. 

exactly the move I was hoping we'd make ... many weeks ago

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Meh. Doubt he's here for opening day without those injuries continuing to nag. Nothing really to see here. 

I wouldn't be too sure about that. He played well last year and was one of the best running backs per efficiency in the league I believe. Who is to say he isn't better than Williams or Mostert? Morris will have a good chance to make the team. Williams is the one who is in even more trouble of making the roster after this move.

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

I wouldn't be too sure about that. He played well last year and was one of the best running backs per efficiency in the league I believe. Who is to say he isn't better than Williams or Mostert? Morris will have a good chance to make the team. Williams is the one who is in even more trouble of making the roster after this move.

He had a 70 yard carried that mildly skewed that number. He had never before had a carry longer than 50 yards. The two years before that he was 3.5 and 3.7 ypc. Also still was rushing behind one of the premiere offensive lines in football. Adds nothing to the receiving game at all. Doesn't play special teams. He'll be 30 this year. 

Rather have Mostert. See no redeeming quality for Morris over him (I don't think Williams makes the team). 

Again, if McKinnon and Breida's injuries persist, it's a different story. 

He still averaged 4.8 YPC. I'm not going to cherry pick stats and take that away from him. I remember Gore averaged like 4.9 YPC one year, and someone said take away his two 80 yarders and he only averaged 4.2 YPC. Meh, he averaged 4.8 and was one of the best running backs per good blocking. So he produced either way. 

Fair point of him not being able to contribute in the passing game.  It may come down to just that. Mostert may be able to do a better job in that area and contributes in STs. But Morris also averaged 3.3 yards after contact last year which ranked 4th in the league. So as a runner, Morris will definitely have value. Enough to unseat Mostert or Williams? Not sure, but don't think you can just write him off as a sure bet to be cut.

One of the least surprising roster move I could think of. I'm okay with it. He'll be our best runner in camp. Although McNichols looks like he has something. Mostert is what he is, but with his speed, what he is is interesting. Joe Williams' bubble is fast slipping off the roster, if he doesn't have a huge game before the end of camp. We're probably looking at an expected opening day depth chart of Jet, Breida and Mostert, but if one or both of the first two can't play, Morris should be the #2 back.

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He still averaged 4.8 YPC. I'm not going to cherry pick stats and take that away from him. I remember Gore averaged like 4.9 YPC one year, and someone said take away his two 80 yarders and he only averaged 4.2 YPC. Meh, he averaged 4.8 and was one of the best running backs per good blocking. So he produced either way. 

Fair point of him not being able to contribute in the passing game.  It may come down to just that. Mostert may be able to do a better job in that area and contributes in STs. But Morris also averaged 3.3 yards after contact last year which ranked 4th in the league. So as a runner, Morris will definitely have value. Enough to unseat Mostert or Williams? Not sure, but don't think you can just write him off as a sure bet to be cut.

It's not about cherry picking stats. Part of statistical analysis is identifying and addressing outliers. That is clearly an outlier. Also one of the things that matters to us is what he is moving forward - not what he did last year, and thus, I don't consider it likely that he'll give us another 70 yard run or that he'll average 4.8 yards per carry (but lets not forget, his YPC had consistently decreased the 4 years prior to that each year, if we are going to bring up last year, you have to address the years prior as well). 

I'm more in the oldie camp on this one - it's just sort of meh. It makes all the sense in the world, of course. Morris is a solid runner, knows the scheme, and we know he can succeed in it and of course we need bodies for the preseason.  But this just kind of reeks of Tim Hightower to me. Providing everyone is healthy to start the season, and given his lack of contribution anywhere else in the football game (whether that be in the passing game or on special teams), I see no reason why he should be on this team. Particularly if you think that James makes the squad over Burbridge (one of our best gunners) and knowing that our third string running back is likely to get between 5-10 carries this year (Mostert got 6 last year). That's really a negligible impact.  Now, if McKinnon or Breida isn't healthy to start the season, that completely goes out the window and he makes sense to pick up some carries and stick on the roster. He's probably the best runner out of the group, as you alluded to, even if age is getting up there and we know he works well in this scheme. Of course, we could carry 5 running backs and keep him, and I wouldn't hate on that or anything, I just don't view that as likely. 

Overall, I just don't feel this move pushes the regular season needle at all at this current juncture. 

5 hours ago, rudyZ said:

One of the least surprising roster move I could think of. I'm okay with it. He'll be our best runner in camp. Although McNichols looks like he has something. Mostert is what he is, but with his speed, what he is is interesting. Joe Williams' bubble is fast slipping off the roster, if he doesn't have a huge game before the end of camp. We're probably looking at an expected opening day depth chart of Jet, Breida and Mostert, but if one or both of the first two can't play, Morris should be the #2 back.

I really want to give that kid a chance. Would seem like a really good fit for what Shanny wants. Excellent out of the backfield with good hands, a little shiftiness and quickness, but can make some hard cuts and just go. Sure, he doesn't have a ton of power, and he's doesn't have that super explosiveness or extra gear, but I'll admit that maybe what I see just doesn't exist, because he hasn't really seemed to work his way up here yet, and of course it was a bit of a disaster in Tampa. Maybe he just continues to rub people the wrong way. 

12 hours ago, Forge said:

It's not about cherry picking stats. Part of statistical analysis is identifying and addressing outliers. That is clearly an outlier. Also one of the things that matters to us is what he is moving forward - not what he did last year, and thus, I don't consider it likely that he'll give us another 70 yard run or that he'll average 4.8 yards per carry (but lets not forget, his YPC had consistently decreased the 4 years prior to that each year, if we are going to bring up last year, you have to address the years prior as well). 

I'm more in the oldie camp on this one - it's just sort of meh. It makes all the sense in the world, of course. Morris is a solid runner, knows the scheme, and we know he can succeed in it and of course we need bodies for the preseason.  But this just kind of reeks of Tim Hightower to me. Providing everyone is healthy to start the season, and given his lack of contribution anywhere else in the football game (whether that be in the passing game or on special teams), I see no reason why he should be on this team. Particularly if you think that James makes the squad over Burbridge (one of our best gunners) and knowing that our third string running back is likely to get between 5-10 carries this year (Mostert got 6 last year). That's really a negligible impact.  Now, if McKinnon or Breida isn't healthy to start the season, that completely goes out the window and he makes sense to pick up some carries and stick on the roster. He's probably the best runner out of the group, as you alluded to, even if age is getting up there and we know he works well in this scheme. Of course, we could carry 5 running backs and keep him, and I wouldn't hate on that or anything, I just don't view that as likely. 

Overall, I just don't feel this move pushes the regular season needle at all at this current juncture. 

Breida or McK getting injured, or not living up to expectations is why I like the Morris move.  Given both healthy and performing well then I agree Morris is probably on the unemployment line. I'm really happy though to see more of Williams to see what's there and I was a fan of McNichols coming out so I hope he gets some carries too. Who knows, maybe one of those guys makes a nice contribution this year.

Archived