What to do at Tight End?

coordinator0

23 minutes ago, drd23 said:

You think they'll cut a 4th round pick before the first game in his rookie season?  For a player on a rookie contract all 3 of those options are basically the same thing 

I don't see that happening for anything other than disciplinary reasons (of which there are none at this stage).

I just mentioned all options, I believe he is an IR candidate unless he begins to show more than he has.

That 6th or maybe even 7th spot if we keep that many will be based on special teams. If Perriman is better than Scott on special teams, I could see Perriman getting another chance. Last year the big issue with him was, that he didn't play special teams. If he had a role on 4 or more special teams he would be a completely different option.

8 hours ago, drd23 said:

You think they'll cut a 4th round pick before the first game in his rookie season?  For a player on a rookie contract all 3 of those options are basically the same thing 

I don't see that happening for anything other than disciplinary reasons (of which there are none at this stage).

Jaleel Scott seems to be going the John Simon route. He'll be put on the PS and then a team will sign him off of that.

7 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Jaleel Scott seems to be going the John Simon route. He'll be put on the PS and then a team will sign him off of that.

John Simon was on the Ravens roster for all of his rookie season and even saw snaps.  Cutting Scott now would be much more unusual

21 minutes ago, drd23 said:

John Simon was on the Ravens roster for all of his rookie season and even saw snaps.  Cutting Scott now would be much more unusual

Extremely so. The Ravens don't cut players drafted that high in their rookie year. Just doesn't happen. If Scott doesn't make the active roster then IR is the only other real option. I think the same goes for Lasley too.

1 hour ago, coordinator0 said:

If Scott doesn't make the active roster then IR is the only other real option.

And he'd have to be on the initial 53 man roster to get put on IR because players with less than 4 years in the NFL have to go through waivers to get to IR in the pre-season (and he'd obviously have to have a significant enough injury).  It's why someone like Hunter Henry isn't officially on IR yet even though everyone knows he's out for the season

I think the TE spot will be:

Hayden Hurst, Nick Boyle, Mark Andrews

- cut Mayle: We cut him so that we can sneak Jaleel Scott a redshirt IR year. Then we bring Mayle back to be a key special teams contributor.

- cut Williams: We want to give him the opportunity to be a primary backup option elsewhere and wish him the best. He’s skilled, but just not someone we can rely on durability wise, so we move on. For another team he could prove otherwise.

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I think the TE spot will be:

Hayden Hurst, Nick Boyle, Mark Andrews

- cut Mayle: We cut him so that we can sneak Jaleel Scott a redshirt IR year. Then we bring Mayle back to be a key special teams contributor.

- cut Williams: We want to give him the opportunity to be a primary backup option elsewhere and wish him the best. He’s skilled, but just not someone we can rely on durability wise, so we move on. For another team he could prove otherwise.

Second this, although I think Williams offer a little bit of the same thing Ricard does as a fullback option.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Ricard offers a lot more to the team than Williams does though, being a two-way guy and being a really damn good fullback.

Williams had just as many or more snaps as Ricard last year. He has been a two-way guy in 1 or 2 games, other than that Ricard is a role player who might see his role expand.

37 minutes ago, Danand said:

Williams had just as many or more snaps as Ricard last year. He has been a two-way guy in 1 or 2 games, other than that Ricard is a role player who might see his role expand.

Williams had that many snaps due to injuries at the TE position and how bad we were there in general. That's not going to happen this year (fingers crossed). Bottom line is that he's very expendable.

Archived