Do you remember enjoying a season where your team won < 8 games?

TecmoSuperJoe

On 8/13/2018 at 9:32 PM, ET80 said:

The 2-14 season in 2013 was comical - Matt Schaub throwing pick sixes every week, Arian Foster getting hurt every time he stepped on the field, Ed Reed doing absolutely nothing - just a hailstorm of a mess.

I giggled.

That was one of the more hilarious seasons recently.  We tuned in to Texans games just to see Schaub throw a pick 6.

The 2014 season.  I've never been more optimistic about a 7-9 finish in my life.  We went from being expected to have the worst defense in the league and a 3 win team to having a top 7 defensive unit in Zimmer's first season.  Coming into the year, I never thought we could be as competitive as we were without Adrian Peterson, much less with a rookie quarterback.  The OT wins over the Bucs and Jets were definitely the highlight of that season

2012 and 2013 for different reasons.

The Rams had the worst five year stretch in NFL history prior to 2012 and Fisher brought instant competitiveness (for the most part). We went 2-1-1 against the Seahawk and Niners who were both playoff teams, and I thought we were on our way. Despite going 7-8-1 it was a huge breath of fresh air after the prior seasons.

2013 had higher expectations - some disappointments and who knew what Sam Bradford would be - then he went down and any expectations that we had went out the window. Then we blew out the Colts in Indy, a game I went to, and the Bears in St. Louis. Ended up going 7-9, and I thought, okay next year we will be better.

Of course, Sam Bradford and Jeff Fisher were both bums and I just didn't know it yet. But I enjoyed both of those seasons overall.

1993 Seahawks.

6-10 is usually never a great record under any circumstances. But coming off the heels of a horrific 1992 2-14 season in which the 'Hawks fielded one of the most anemic and hapless offenses in modern NFL history, 6-10 was such a vast improvement that it felt like a playoff contending season in comparison.

For that one year at least, rookie quarterback and number two pick Rick Mirer looked like he was going to fulfill the promise of being "the next Joe Montana" that the media had tagged him with. Mirer not only had one of the best seasons statistically for a rookie QB up to that time, he demonstrated leadership and poise. Of course, as we all know, Mirer turned out to be a flash in the pan. But for that one year, he really seemed to be the future.

Despite the losing record, the season had a feel good vibe as the Seahawks played competitively in every game, only getting blown out once. Mirer out-dueled Drew Bledsoe, the man who beat him out for the number one draft slot, twice. The team posted impressive smackdowns of the Chargers, Browns and Steelers.

Of course, the promise that the '93 squad showed never developed, and Mirer failed to progress from his rookie showing. The team finished with an identical 6-10 record in '94, and this time it felt like a losing season because of the inability to improve. The team remained pretty much in neutral throughout the 1990's (with the nadir being a near-move to LA in 1996) and it was not until the next century, a new ownership, and a next generation of players that they would finally get over the hump.

2011 was an incredible entertaining season for the Panthers because we had just suffered through John Fox and Jimmy Clausen. Then we got Cam Newton and had the biggest offensive turnaround in history. Scored three times as many touchdowns. It was exciting to see we had a franchise QB.

Of course, it was still frustrating to see that we had a bottom ten defense and the worst special teams in the league...

I still remember freaking out in week one against the Cardinals. Cam had 200 yards and 2 TDs at halftime. Finished with another 200+ yards and one more TD in the second half. Cam even got us to the ten yardline or so and misfired a slant to Mike Goodson iirc on 4th down that ended the game. Probably the best I've ever felt after a loss tbh. Cam exceeded all expectations.

Archived