Hankins coming in for a workout

buno67

48 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

Hindsight is 20/20

Granted we haven't signed him yet, but if a deal goes through, I will have no problem with the Shelton trade.

I did think we were a little weak at DT depth when the trade happened, and didn't know who our starters would be. (Coley didn't impress me and Meder isn't a starter in the NFL, I liked Ogunjobi but Calib hadn't come into his own yet)

I think our team improves but I think this was another consistent strike against us as an origination for being able to keep our own impact starters.  Danny might not have been the pass rusher, but he was definitely an impact on the run defense, and his constant ability to require double teams opened up pass rushing lanes for the linebackers...

I disliked the trade when it happened. But they obviously weren't planning on signing him long-term, so it was better to get a third round pick now instead of letting him walk and just maybe getting a third round pick at best a couple of years from now. But I do agree about our DT situation. There's some potential there, but no one who's truly proven. That's why I'd like to bring in a proven guy like Hankins. Have him and Ogunjobi start, with Coley, Brantley and maybe Meder being good rotational guys.

24 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I disliked the trade when it happened. But they obviously weren't planning on signing him long-term, so it was better to get a third round pick now instead of letting him walk and just maybe getting a third round pick at best a couple of years from now. But I do agree about our DT situation. There's some potential there, but no one who's truly proven. That's why I'd like to bring in a proven guy like Hankins. Have him and Ogunjobi start, with Coley, Brantley and maybe Meder being good rotational guys.

Understandable.  It was nice to get a 3rd round pick for it when we weren't going to re-sign him.  I am just infuriated by the idea that new GM comes in and wants new guys for his team every time.  Even when we have had a productive 1st round pick like Shelton, we plan to let him walk anyway.  But I understand wanting more pass rush out of the #12 overall pick...

4 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I don't think his production, roe and character point to multi year investment. 

Agree. Which is why he left without getting signed I'd say. 

Its a shame. He could've bolstered our thin DL.

3 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Agree. Which is why he left without getting signed I'd say. 

Its a shame. He could've bolstered our thin DL.

I didn't like his previous work out video either. 

Though I want sure what the hell I was meant to be looking at with a giant fat guy moving side to side.

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

I thought I saw reports that the other guy they signed, they liked more because he fits the scheme better than Hankins. 

quiet possible Greg like penetrators rather than pure NT ie Shelton, though he played well last year was not a G Williams type of guy. 

I think you still want a couple of whales though. 

5 hours ago, buno67 said:

I thought I saw reports that the other guy they signed, they liked more because he fits the scheme better than Hankins. 

Blaine Woodson being a more impactful player for our scheme over Hankins is rubbish. Or, we need a new DC, if Williams prefers Blaine Woodson over Big Hank. 

With that said, the dollars obviously aren’t matching what Hank can produce right now or he’d be employed long ago.

5 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Blaine Woodson being a more impactful player for our scheme over Hankins is rubbish. Or, we need a new DC, if Williams prefers Blaine Woodson over Big Hank. 

With that said, the dollars obviously aren’t matching what Hank can produce right now or he’d be employed long ago.

Not too rubbish when a Hankins type player in Shelton was just traded. 

If he doesn’t fit the scheme, why pay him the money he wants when what makes him good might not work here in Cleveland. You don’t change what your doing in week2 of the preseason cause of a newly acquired FA. 

Archived