The Box Office

Acgott

On 5/3/2019 at 4:18 PM, seminoles1 said:

I don't think this ends up passing Star Wars: The Force Awakens as the all-time domestic box office champ. Unsurprisingly, it hasn't held up during the weekdays compared to TFA and won't have as strong of legs post-2nd weekend.

And yet, it still made more in its second weekend than a lot of movies make in their entire domestic run at $145.8m, which is scary to think about. 

On 5/6/2019 at 9:37 AM, THE DUKE said:

I don't think Endgame hits the domestic record, but with how strong it's doing internationally, I think the Global Box Office record not only falls, I think it may pass $3 billion.

It won't hit $3 billion. It'll squeak by Avatar, Disney will make sure of that.

It's now fallen behind pace of Star Wars: The Force Awakens domestically. Just goes to show how much of a phenomenon that movie was 4 years ago.

23 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

It's now fallen behind pace of Star Wars: The Force Awakens domestically. Just goes to show how much of a phenomenon that movie was 4 years ago.

While it certainly was a nostalgic phenomenon, I think timing had as much to do with it as anything. IIRC. it came out around Christmas time (when a lot of people were off for an extended period of time) and didn't really face any stiff competition in the winter months, which allowed for continued growth. Whereas Avengers is dealing with looming summer blockbusters, which will ultimately put a screeching halt to it's box office reign.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

While it certainly was a nostalgic phenomenon, I think timing had as much to do with it as anything. IIRC. it came out around Christmas time (when a lot of people were off for an extended period of time) and didn't really face any stiff competition in the winter months, which allowed for continued growth. Whereas Avengers is dealing with looming summer blockbusters, which will ultimately put a screeching halt to it's box office reign.

Yeah, May is loaded in terms of movies. TFA biggest competition was the Revenant three weeks later and Kung Fu Panda 3 six weeks later. The following weekends for Endgame had/have Detective Pikachu two weeks later, John Wick 3 three weeks later, Aladdin four weeks later, Godzilla 2 five weeks later and Dark Phoenix six weeks later. They might not be direct competitors but those are all relatively big movies.

16 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Yeah Xmas / New Year’s Holiday basically creates 2+ weeks of weekend day ceiling potential.  And that Jan-Feb list of movies is stunningly weak.  

Still there’s no denying the “must-see event” status TFA had. Just like how IW and Endgame have earned that status.  In today’s era it takes extra effort to win over viewers to “have to” see it in theaters.   When Endgame takes over the #1 global record it’s hard to see anyone approach it for a generation or more.  

On 5/12/2019 at 8:56 AM, seminoles1 said:

that movie was f***ing horrible and is the reason I refuse to watch any of the new ones that have come out. 

16 minutes ago, N4L said:

that movie was f***ing horrible and is the reason I refuse to watch any of the new ones that have come out. 

Oh boy, if you thought The Force Awakens was horrible, you ain't seen nothin' yet. xD

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Oh boy, if you thought The Force Awakens was horrible, you ain't seen nothin' yet. xD

Correct, I have not seen any of the subsequent crap lol

Edited by N4L

4 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

The last hour or so of Rogue One is the best hour of any Star Wars movie.

Solo was a lot of fun too.  Not a great movie, but solid enough while being a lot of fun and as much as I doubted Alden Ehrenreich based on the trailers I thought he got the essence of the character pretty damn good by the end (with the assist from Ron Howard's edit).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...