The Box Office

Acgott

51 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

Don’t think End Game will pass Avatar for the all time record.

Disney/Marvel is definitely keeping it in theaters until it does. If not on the initial run, then they'll re-release before Oscar voting to get it to #1.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2019 at 10:33 PM, seminoles1 said:

Disney/Marvel is definitely keeping it in theaters until it does. If not on the initial run, then they'll re-release before Oscar voting to get it to #1.

The other part is as Spider-Man: Far From Home approaches there will be a push to re-watch Endgame in theatres as a 1-2 punch since Far From Home starts shortly after Endgame’s ending.    

Endgame will be less than 60M short of Avatar’s record after this weekend.   I’d be really surprised if it doesn’t pass Avatar given the Far From Home / Oscar re-release bumps that are still available (talking globally no chance it’s catching TFA for the NA record).  

Edited by Broncofan

12 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Time for X-Men to start over in the MCU and not touch the Phoenix storyline for about 20 years.  Maybe use that to build to in an MCU fashion after the current iteration of the MCU has run its course.

Yeah, the X-Men could be a cool way to build up the next overall threat and into a huge crossover movie.

Phoenix could be that, but like you said, it needs to be in about 20 years.

50 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

MiB flopped domestically with 28 mill opening. I just don’t think hemsworth is a bankable star outside of his Thor roles.

Dark Phoenix will only 9 mill second weekend. Yikes

I’m not sure anyone would really save the MIB franchise. I think it had run it’s course. MIB3 did respectable that’s for sure, but it was downhill from there. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I’m not sure anyone would really save the MIB franchise. I think it had run it’s course. MIB3 did respectable that’s for sure, but it was downhill from there. 

Agreed.    MIB hasnt been good in awhile, so even if Will Smith returned, I dont think it wouldve done great.

Beyond that, its hard to take a franchise that had such notable faces and continue it with new characters.     

Hemsworth IMO could draw at the box office, but going from Will Smith to him is a huge step down in regards to name recognition and screen presence.    

MiB should just go away for a long time, and then maybe in 15-20 years, you could reboot it completely.     IMO....I just think it would be better if they shelved it altogether and make some new franchises.  

• 3 months later...

Joker is STILL smashing box office records, making $55 mil in its second weekend for a remarkable 42.8% drop and it's already made $544 mil WW.

At the rate it's going, it could surpass Deadpool and maybe even crack $1 bil, and be the first R-rated film to do so (although Matrix Reloaded would have adjusted for inflation back in 2003).

Good, hopefully now Blumhouse will grow some balls and let Todd McFarlane make his Spawn reboot R-rated like he wants. And part of the reason for the holdup IS because Blumhouse wants a PG-13 Spawn movie, which is like trying to make a kid-friendly Pulp Fiction: it's just not gonna happen.

If they seriously try to make another PG-13 Spawn movie, they're idiots, simple as that.

Maybe now that Joker is doing mad money while being (hard) R (and with various theaters posting signs saying it's not for kids to boot), they'll wise up and let it happen.