The Box Office

Acgott

On 12/23/2019 at 9:52 AM, Outpost31 said:

There's no way in hell Disney is doing episode 10-12.  They're more likely to remake episode 7-9 than make episodes 10-12. 

In fact, I wouldn't be remotely surprised if they cut off all continuity with Lucas's original trilogy and prequel trilogy and went to a galaxy far, farrer away. 

They need a hard reboot to get people on their side again, and going down the path they've been on they are about to turn off the entire Star Wars fanbase. 

Inferior products, clustered plots, lack of direction, politics, social justice warrioriing has harmed the entire image and brand of Star Wars.  Even for someone like me, who loved TLJ and will probably enjoy ROS, there's no real drive or interest. 

In spite of Joel Schumacher's best efforts, his two Batman movies didn't kill the franchise.  I think Batman Begins underperformed due to the bad taste of the previous movies.  The upshot is by making sensible creative decisions, Christopher Nolan was able to revive Batman as a blockbuster series.

Corporate big media is starting to learn what happens when you allow fringe people to influence your expensive content.  Even the James Bond producers are backing off the idea of making the character female.  I can only imagine the heated discussions and backroom negotiations it took for John Favreau and Cowboy Hat Guy to keep The Mandalorian simple and clean of bad political posturing.

That all said, I thought it was pretty awesome that Jumanji will outperform Star Wars at the box office this weekend even though it was released a week earlier.  It's a shame there were enough idiots in charge at Disney/Lucasfilm to make deciding what movie tickets to buy feel like filling out a ballot on election day.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2020 at 2:54 PM, Outpost31 said:

Think of how many movies would be better if Hollywood listened to fans.

The Predator, Terminator (any of them after TS2), The Thing 2011.  A movie heralded as the Holy Grail of practical effects going full CGI.  Brilliant.

im just thankful that they havent bastardized Gremlins yet