The Box Office

Acgott

On 11/17/2017 at 6:01 PM, seminoles1 said:

DC has no one to blame but themselves.  Affleck is going to flee any day now.  Going to be interesting to see their next move.  If it really does bomb, then that puts the whole future in jeopardy.  Aquaman is done, but this could slow the roll on every other movie in development.

As of sat, topped $109m already.  Not going to bomb at all.

https://www.cbr.com/justice-league-less-than-100-million-box-office/

Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case as the numbers are now in and Justice League looks to have opened around $96 million — which marks the DC Extended Universe’s worst opening to date.

Thankfully, the film appears to be faring far better overseas. It opened to $181 million internationally, bringing the worldwide total to $281 million.

Justice League is a complete disaster at the domestic box office. There is no other way to put it. Before the weekend it was predicted to make $110-120 which still would have been way below what they wanted it to be. I don’t recall weekend predictions being so far off since Guardians of the Galaxy in 2014. This is a complete doomsday scenario for WB.

Just now, Acgott said:

Justice League is a complete disaster at the domestic box office. There is no other way to put it. Before the weekend it was predicted to make $110-120 which still would have been way below what they wanted it to be. I don’t recall weekend predictions being so far off since Guardians of the Galaxy in 2014. This is a complete doomsday scenario for WB.

Unfortunately, I think they knew that this movie was going to bomb, so I don't think it changes much for them.  They should take this failure as a sign that they have two options:

1. Blow it all up, cancel everything that hasn't already been filmed, start over in two years.
2. Blow most of it up, cancel everything that hasn't already been filmed except for The Flash.  Keep Wonder Woman, keep Aquaman, keep The Flash and change literally everything else. 

I don't think they'll blow anything up....but they'd be wise holding off on a JL2 for a while. Get another 3-4 solo films out of the way to build these characters up more and get people invested in them and invested into the DC universe as a whole while planting seeds for the upcoming JL2. The biggest issue with the DCEU is with their storytelling and them shooting their wad on things way too soon.

30 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

I don't think they'll blow anything up....but they'd be wise holding off on a JL2 for a while. Get another 3-4 solo films out of the way to build these characters up more and get people invested in them and invested into the DC universe as a whole while planting seeds for the upcoming JL2. The biggest issue with the DCEU is with their storytelling and them shooting their wad on things way too soon.

Justice League 2 no longer has a release date, so that won't be out for quite a while.  Lots of other movies much further along in development.

34 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Justice League 2 no longer has a release date, so that won't be out for quite a while.  Lots of other movies much further along in development.

The only change WB will make is that these fringe projects will be scrapped for now. No Cyborg movie. The Gotham universe(Gotham City Sirens, Batgirl, Joker movie) is probably done for now. Id even say that Shazaam will be put on hold, and no I dont care if they have cast Billy Baston and Shazaam.

• Aquaman is next. Its in the can. Should be a hit.
  • Wonder Woman 2. Might be moved up from 2020 to 2019 now.
  • Flashpoint. This is probably the main focus of WB now with the ramifications, and the positive buzz of the character.
  • The Batman. I still think this gets made soon. Just need to figure out if Flashpoint needs to be before the movie because of a new Batman.
  • Suicide Squad 2. Probably doesnt get made yet.

2018-Aquaman

2019-Wonder Woman 2, Flashpoint

2020-The Batman

2021-Justice League 2

Im just wondering if people are getting sick of superhero movies.

Yes, I know the MCU is performing well, but that train picked up steam when the superhero train was in full effect, so those people are heavily invested in it.  

On top of that, I guarantee there are narrow minded people out there who will look at what critics are saying and just believe it without finding out for themselves if its good or not.

And yes, the issues with BvS and Suicide Squad hurt it, but after Wonder Woman, I still expected a better opening.

We will see if positive word of mouth from audiences can give it better legs than BvS did.

22 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Im just wondering if people are getting sick of superhero movies.

Yes, I know the MCU is performing well, but that train picked up steam when the superhero train was in full effect, so those people are heavily invested in it.  

On top of that, I guarantee there are narrow minded people out there who will look at what critics are saying and just believe it without finding out for themselves if its good or not.

And yes, the issues with BvS and Suicide Squad hurt it, but after Wonder Woman, I still expected a better opening.

We will see if positive word of mouth from audiences can give it better legs than BvS did.

People want good unique movies. Deadpool and Logan tremendously exceeded expectations. All of the MCU movies are doing great. Wonder Woman for WB. The trailers for JL never got me excited. It’s clearly similar with the audiences.