The Box Office

Acgott

Just now, Acgott said:

People want good unique movies. Deadpool and Logan tremendously exceeded expectations. All of the MCU movies are doing great. Wonder Woman for WB. The trailers for JL never got me excited. It’s clearly similar with the audiences.

Unique?   Deadpool is the only unique movie of most of the superhero movies.  Whats so unique about pretty much any MCU movie?    (and keep in mind, Im a big fan of the MCU)

Logan was built off an existing universe started back in 2000, with an actor everyone is attached to in that role.

Wonder Woman wasnt unique at all.   Good, but not really unique.

I dont buy the entire "trailer" thing.   Not saying it didnt have an impact, but if the DCEU's track record was better and professional critics werent pooing all over the movie, I think it absolutely wouldve done better, regardless of the trailers, which werent anything special, but were good enough.   

12 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Unique?   Deadpool is the only unique movie of most of the superhero movies.  Whats so unique about pretty much any MCU movie?    (and keep in mind, Im a big fan of the MCU)

Logan was built off an existing universe started back in 2000, with an actor everyone is attached to in that role.

Wonder Woman wasnt unique at all.   Good, but not really unique.

I dont buy the entire "trailer" thing.   Not saying it didnt have an impact, but if the DCEU's track record was better and professional critics werent pooing all over the movie, I think it absolutely wouldve done better, regardless of the trailers, which werent anything special, but were good enough.   

If you don’t think all those movies are different... Logan was a R-rated film that had the complete opposite feeling of any of the MCU films. Wonder Woman was the first modern female superhero movie. Yes, the MCU films all have a very similar feeling, but they still stand out from one another.

I agree if reviews were better, JL would have done better, but trash popcorn movies have done great before  ie Transformers, Pirates of the Caribbean, Twilight.

You failed with the most popular characters of all time. A complete embarrassment 

4 minutes ago, Acgott said:

If you don’t think all those movies are different... Logan was a R-rated film that had the complete opposite feeling of any of the MCU films. Wonder Woman was the first modern female superhero movie. Yes, the MCU films all have a very similar feeling, but they still stand out from one another.

Okay, Logan I will give you in terms of being different, but my point still stands about Hugh Jackman's Wolverine having a following that spans over 15 years.

Wonder Woman was different in that way, so I guess Ill give you that one too, but it wasnt overly unique in what it did.

The MCU movies are well done...but none are really unique.

You failed with the most popular characters of all time. A complete embarrassment 

Well, in which way are you saying it failed?

I mean, is it failing financially right now?    Yes.

Are professional critics hating on it....yes.

But, by most accounts, they didnt fail with those characters at all.   Perhaps youre saying they failed to market and capitalize on them, but I know alot of people who ripped apart BvS and SS saying they greatly enjoyed Justice League.     I dont trust "professional" reviews at all anymore.     

In the end, I will agree its hugely disappointing overall, but again, all the reviewers I trust enjoyed the movie and praised how well the characters were done.   Sayings its a complete embarrassment is a little harsh.    There have been other great movies to underperform at the box office....and I think this one is directly related to 1) BvS and Suicide Squads shortcomings, 2) professional reviews that some people take as the be all-end all, and 3) the well known issues the production had.

Im also wondering if opening right before Thanksgiving was a good idea as well....although not sure how much affect that may or may not have had.

3 minutes ago, Acgott said:

@FourThreeMafia Weekend before Thanksgiving is one of the strongest out there. Hunger Games, Twilight, Harry Potter have released there.

Fair enough....but Twilight was regularly blasted by critics and widely hated, but they had the teenybopper and middle aged women crowd to fuel that dumpster fire.

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Fair enough....but Twilight was regularly blasted by critics and widely hated, but they had the teenybopper and middle aged women crowd to fuel that dumpster fire.

The point is the weekend before Thanksgiving is a top weekend and not the reason JL severely underachieved.

• 1 month later...

So...is The Last Jedi a box office disappointment?  Still huge numbers (will end up 6th all-time domestically), but I'm sure most expected (and I know I expected) it to hit  at least $700 million domestic and approach Avatar.

Edited by seminoles1

12 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

So...is The Last Jedi a box office disappointment?  Still huge numbers (will end up 6th all-time domestically), but I'm sure most expected (and I know I expected) it to hit  at least $700 million domestic and approach Avatar.

Absolutely not a disappointment. It may have underachieved slightly, but it’s not close to being a disappointment.

In other news, Black Panther was tracking at an incredible  $90M a few weeks ago. Buzz will start picking up with the final trailer during the BCS championship and when it releases over Presidents Day weekend it will surpass $110M

2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

It was never going to surpass TFA since it's a sequel and is the 3rd star wars movie in the past 3 years. I'd say as long as it surpasses what rogue one did it's a success. 

3 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Huge disappointment. Disney was banking on 1.5 billion as the floor. Its not going to get even close. Disappointing here. Disappointing in China. At the rate its going, its going to be out of theaters in a little over a month, and TFA was still in theaters in June of the following year.

If Batman v Superman was a big disappointment for not making a billion, then TLJ is a disappointment for not hitting the marks Disney wanted for it.

3 hours ago, OleXmad said:

It was never going to surpass TFA since it's a sequel and is the 3rd star wars movie in the past 3 years. I'd say as long as it surpasses what rogue one did it's a success. 

No one expected it to match The Force Awakens, but it's dropoff has been huge and it's been outperformed by Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle each of the last 8 days (and that isn't stopping anytime soon).  The Star Wars brand always comes with heightened expectations, and this not even coming with $300 million of The Force Awakens and being shown up by a pseudo-sequel is shocking and disappointing.