The Box Office

Acgott

9 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

There's not a chance in hell Infinity War passes The Force Awakens.

I'm sad Titanic was knocked down another notch.

Adjusted for inflation, Titanic still holds the top spot domestically, though IIRC.

6 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Holy ****...

Maybe this will have a chance at The Force Awakens, at least the opening weekend that is.

Yeah, we discussed that a bit recently, but I honestly don't think it's impossible.

A lot of people will jump on the ship and watch the movie, along with the usual fans.

Edited by TheChancellor

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/12/2018 at 7:21 AM, THE DUKE said:

I honestly think Infinity War could be the first billion dollar domestic box office movie.  If it's good, lots of people are going to see a spectacle like this on the big screen multiple times.

I had a brief moment of thinking that was possible, but this weekend has showed me just how much of an anomaly Star Wars: The Force Awakens was when it released and how its record won't be broken until ticket prices are astronomical.

After 10 days, and even after beating TFA opening weekend record by $10 million, Infinity War is already $90 million behind pace from TFA.

I honestly don't even think it will pass Avatar or Black Panther.

Edited by seminoles1

20 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I had a brief moment of thinking that was possible, but this weekend has showed me just how much of an anomaly Star Wars: The Force Awakens was when it released and how its record won't be broken until ticket prices are astronomical.

After 10 days, and even after beating TFA opening weekend record by $10 million, Infinity War is already $90 million behind pace from TFA.

I honestly don't even think it will pass Avatar or Black Panther.

TFA has the Christmas break. Gives it a huge advantage. Avengers has no days off. Not even a 3 day weekend.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, devils1854 said:

DeE7RY1VQAAuiOd?format=jpg&name=medium

I think those stats are going to get worse as time goes on. The only thing that one that will break any records at this point will be episode 9. And that very iffy at this point. As far the solo movies are concerned. I think it will get worse considering they are pushing out more and more movies. 

42 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I think those stats are going to get worse as time goes on. The only thing that one that will break any records at this point will be episode 9. And that very iffy at this point. As far the solo movies are concerned. I think it will get worse considering they are pushing out more and more movies. 

Im not a huge Star Wars fan. I enjoy the movies, but its not some big part of my life like a lot of people, but Disney really did alienate a lot of their built in fan base with episode 8. No one really knows how much since Solo has had its problems from day one, but you got to think that there are a good number of huge Star Wars fans sitting this one out because of TLJ.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, devils1854 said:

Im not a huge Star Wars fan. I enjoy the movies, but its not some big part of my life like a lot of people, but Disney really did alienate a lot of their built in fan base with episode 8. No one really knows how much since Solo has had its problems from day one, but you got to think that there are a good number of huge Star Wars fans sitting this one out because of TLJ.

Oh I agree completely. But this, "it's the new ESB, and is gonna be remembered as a all time classic in 10 years" or w/e is complete nonsense. The main reason why Disney bought this franchise is to make money. All others fall by the way side. Now they will always turn a profit with these movies just because of the fanbase old or young. But you gotta assume that the higher ups are sated but not nearly as happy had TLJ made the kind of money everyone thought it could including them. With the Solo movie not doing as well as one would hope you gotta wonder if they start taking it safer with future stories and keep a shorter leash on creativity. 

Edited by Calvert28
  • Like 1

A lot of things went against this movie. Tough competition, quick Star Wars brand turnaround, that turnaround being from the most divisive Star Wars movie, and lots of bad pre-release press.

I do think they'll be safer going forward, but we knew that once they hired Abrams again.

• Like 1