Maryland Accepts "Legal and Moral Responsibility" in Jordan McNair's Death

ramssuperbowl99

Overdue for it's own topic. Snippets include:

"Mistakes were made by Maryland personnel", "Jordan did not receive adequate care", "the school takes legal and moral responsibility".

The McNair's are going to own the University of Maryland football program by the time they're done suing them. The NCAA has to intervene here, a player died at the hands of a University on the practice field. I think suspending the program for a year is the right call.

I doubt the NCAA gets involved, especially since Maryland is taking responsibility.  Suspending a program for any amount of time would be the same as a death penalty.  Players would leave and it would be nearly impossible to field a team in the future.

Also the money from the wrongful death won't be nearly as much as some think, though it definitely won't be cheap.  I'm going to guess somewhere between $1 mil and $5 mil which I'm sure the University has insurance to protect themselves in such instances.

4 minutes ago, Raves said:

I doubt the NCAA gets involved, especially since Maryland is taking responsibility.  Suspending a program for any amount of time would be the same as a death penalty.  Players would leave and it would be nearly impossible to field a team in the future.

I didn't say "death penalty" because it's not great word choice in a topic about a player death. 

Honestly, if the NCAA doesn't get involved here, then they should disband. The National College Athletic Association just had a member kill a player through gross negligence during an athletic practice, and the school is admitting as much. "Oops, our bad" doesn't change the slightest bit about what happened, what they did, and what they didn't do. If you're not going to enforce this, what the **** are you going to enforce??

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I didn't say "death penalty" because it's not great word choice in a topic about a player death. 

Honestly, if the NCAA doesn't get involved here, then they should disband. The National College Athletic Association just had a member kill a player through gross negligence, and the school is admitting as much. "Oops, our bad" doesn't change the slightest bit about what happened, what they did, and what they didn't do.

Suspending a program for a year is a death penalty.  Though thinking about and considering the Penn State situation, I could see the NCAA getting involved, but I just can't see how the punishments that they typically dish out would be beneficial here.  Maybe if they were able to limit the amount of practice time available to the team, or something similar, then it would make sense but I can't remember the last time they were able to/did that.

I really think the reach of the NCAA is getting a little long.  They should be sticking to unfair competitive advantages and let the legal system handle everything else.

11 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

As terrible as what happened at Maryland is, I can’t criticize their reaction to it. Hopefully the right steps continue there.

The reason this is a story is because the McNair family went to the Maryland president Wallace Loh and asked for a settlement. He told them they wouldn't discuss it, and so the McNair's attorney went to the press and got all of this dug up.

Maryland had a chance to do the right thing and admit fault. They're upset now because they got caught.

3 minutes ago, Raves said:

Suspending a program for a year is a death penalty.  Though thinking about and considering the Penn State situation, I could see the NCAA getting involved, but I just can't see how the punishments that they typically dish out would be beneficial here.  Maybe if they were able to limit the amount of practice time available to the team, or something similar, then it would make sense but I can't remember the last time they were able to/did that.

I really think the reach of the NCAA is getting a little long.  They should be sticking to unfair competitive advantages and let the legal system handle everything else.

This is a player safety issue man. The organization that regulates intercollegiate athletics has a responsibility to ensure that the people participating in those athletics are safe. 

EDIT: And if you don't believe me, just look at the rules. You know who regulates how many practices teams can have? The NCAA. You know who regulates how much time student athletes can spend on their sport? The NCAA. How many padded practices? The NCAA. 

This is 1 million percent NCAA territory. It should be priority number 1 for any decent organization.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The reason this is a story is because the McNair family went to the Maryland president Wallace Loh and asked for a settlement. He told them they wouldn't discuss it, and so the McNair's attorney went to the press and got all of this dug up.

Maryland had a chance to do the right thing and admit fault. They're upset now because they got caught.

If that’s the case, this has been an even uglier event. I had hoped they’d just come clean. A 19 year old kid with a bright future died due to negligence here. That program should start from scratch. Feel bad for the players.

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

If that’s the case, this has been an even uglier event. I had hoped they’d just come clean. A 19 year old kid with a bright future died due to negligence here. That program should start from scratch. Feel bad for the players.

If they did we'd be hearing about this a few months ago. The incident happened in late May, and the delay here is because Maryland thought they could bury it.

I'm assuming Durkin gets fired, but really Evans (the AD) and Loh need to be gone too. They each had intimate involvement in the initial Maryland reaction here.

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This is a player safety issue man. The organization that regulates intercollegiate athletics has a responsibility to ensure that the people participating in those athletics are safe. 

EDIT: And if you don't believe me, just look at the rules. You know who regulates how many practices teams can have? The NCAA. You know who regulates how much time student athletes can spend on their sport? The NCAA. How many padded practices? The NCAA. 

This is 1 million percent NCAA territory. It should be priority number 1 for any decent organization.

Pretty much. If this isn't an NCAA issue, I'm not entirely sure why the NCAA exists.

Just now, Texasmade said:

It really shouldn't be this hard to fire someone. 

Pretty much. It's crazy that people put these crazy out clauses in their contracts. It's like "hmm, maybe we shouldn't hire this dude if he's so worried about getting fired."

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Pretty much. It's crazy that people put these crazy out clauses in their contracts. It's like "hmm, maybe we shouldn't hire this dude if he's so worried about getting fired."

It's funny because a lot of it is schools writing them in to protect themselves coaches from leaving for other jobs.

whoopsie daisy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Archived