Game 0.2, 2018: New York Jets @ Washington Redskins [ESPN]

Bianconero

15 minutes ago, KBS756 said:

Not a great outing for Darnold .. he looks decent but not great 

Really only made one bad throw on the interception, other than that he looked good. Our offensive line played like crap for the most part, I thought he did a good job of evading the pressure and placed the ball well on his throws. It wasn't a WOW performance, but encouraging nonetheless in my eyes. It really goes to show that we need to address the offensive line and badly with how many question marks we have.

1 minute ago, GangGreen420 said:

Offensive line is going to be a huge problem. 

And the defense looked like it has the past few years. Underwhelming. Hopefully next week is better 

I think you hit the nail on the head, I feel the same way. Good to see Bridgewater have another good game.

Rashard Robinson is a damn baller out there at CB.  Always liked him the little he played on LSU, is a lengthy kid, good height and great athletic ability as well.  Made some firm tackles out there, sure gets beat at times but love his confidence and coverage potential.  Solid CB prospect no doubt for the Jets right there.  

So we in the Browns forum already have a Jets-Skins thread up (so you can delete this one if it's easier to keep things organized) and have been discussing the game, Sam's future, Todd's hollow, vacant stare and the potential of turning the Browns forum into a second Jets forum for overflow/problem posters. We're open to suggestions. You could even make our week 2 preseason thread since no one else did. Thanks and you're welcome!: 

6 hours ago, ACO said:

Teddy looks good, Teddy should be the starter. It isn't even close to me.

I loved Teddy in college and he seems to be that same player, with great accuracy and willing to throw downfield. If we didn’t have Darnold, I think Teddy could be our best QB since Pennington.But we do have Sam, hopefully our QB for the next 15 years, and he shows all the poise of an NFL starter. He certainly hasn’t outplayed Teddy but Teddy doesn’t have a future here. 

How can you say it is not even close between Teddy and Sam. I think Sam did very well the first game and did pretty well the second game too with a few bad throws. The one thing that we all agree with is that McCown will not be under center week 1.

56 minutes ago, Rich51 said:

I loved Teddy in college and he seems to be that same player, with great accuracy and willing to throw downfield. If we didn’t have Darnold, I think Teddy could be our best QB since Pennington.But we do have Sam, hopefully our QB for the next 15 years, and he shows all the poise of an NFL starter. He certainly hasn’t outplayed Teddy but Teddy doesn’t have a future here. 

Teddy is a great player and great leader.  Awesome teammate and has rock solid character.  But he is frail as can be, just look at his thin lower body and legs.  Awesome QB but yeah if one wants him to finish a complete season with no issues, that would be very difficult.  Could be a fine QB but sadly is not a long term option for any team, only short term because of that injury issue.  Even in this game guys went for his legs, almost looked like he got rolled up on with that once, and it of course only takes one time.  Will be curious what they do, almost seems like they are shopping Teddy which is odd, of course Darnold is the long term guy and could play early.  Jets are still in a rebuilding mode so not like they cannot play Darnold just because.

31 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Teddy is a great player and great leader.  Awesome teammate and has rock solid character.  But he is frail as can be, just look at his thin lower body and legs.  Awesome QB but yeah if one wants him to finish a complete season with no issues, that would be very difficult.  Could be a fine QB but sadly is not a long term option for any team, only short term because of that injury issue.  Even in this game guys went for his legs, almost looked like he got rolled up on with that once, and it of course only takes one time.  Will be curious what they do, almost seems like they are shopping Teddy which is odd, of course Darnold is the long term guy and could play early.  Jets are still in a rebuilding mode so not like they cannot play Darnold just because.

I’m pretty sure they are shopping Teddy. Problem right now is every team has a starting QB or at least QB of the future. So if we want a first or second for him I think  a playoff caliber team, without a decent backup, would have to loose their QB for at least 8 games. Purely as a backup I think we’d be talking 3rd to 5th round, conditional type pick

I’m not sure about his frailty since he did play 3 years of college and two years in the pros without an injury. His knee injury seems like it was a freak incident. I don’t know the specifics but it was reported as a noncontact injury.

10 hours ago, Akomplice said:

Really only made one bad throw on the interception, other than that he looked good. Our offensive line played like crap for the most part, I thought he did a good job of evading the pressure and placed the ball well on his throws. It wasn't a WOW performance, but encouraging nonetheless in my eyes. It really goes to show that we need to address the offensive line and badly with how many question marks we have.

The OL did not help Darnold.   The OL depth was more exposed then Sam Darnold.   The GM has to bring in some better OL players.     If the OL starters go down this team is done.

8 minutes ago, Rich51 said:

I’m pretty sure they are shopping Teddy. Problem right now is every team has a starting QB or at least QB of the future. So if we want a first or second for him I think  a playoff caliber team, without a decent backup, would have to loose their QB for at least 8 games. Purely as a backup I think we’d be talking 3rd to 5th round, conditional type pick

I’m not sure about his frailty since he did play 3 years of college and two years in the pros without an injury. His knee injury seems like it was a freak incident. I don’t know the specifics but it was reported as a noncontact injury.

It is odd, Teddy signed for that 1 year $5 Million, no way a team trades a 1st or 2nd rounder for him.  3rd or 5th rounder maybe but they would have to be super desperate.

Teddy in terms of injury stuff, it is not just a freak thing.  His last year in college he got hit badly and hurt his leg as well, was limping around but was tough and finished the game and recovered for the bowl game I think.  Still watch him walk to the sidelines over his career.  He limps often, sure it is not always a bad injury but he gets hurt more than it officially says I feel. For the Vikings he looks like an old man back there at times with how he would come back to the sidelines.  Has not even been in the NFL for over 4 years playing  and looks at times like he has been in the league 14 years.  Here are his numbers for games played in his career.  And for those first two no question he was hurt and or injured in 1/4 of those games in some way, maybe more, but could at least still stick it out.  

2017:  1    
2016:  0
2015:  16    
2014:  13      

The guy is frail, and physically very thin.  Hopefully he can stay healthy though but yeah was real close to having his career end with that leg, and no one is going to stop hitting his legs when he is playing, especially with the no helmet head contact rules.  

Overall assessment:

Darnold: Looks ready for week 1 no matter what the stats say.  Shows a veteran like grasp of the offense, is patient in the pocket, and goes through reads like he's been in the offense for years.  There is no reason not to trot him out on week 1.  Seemed like they kept it short because they knew the OL would be an issue and it was with the RG getting abused on Darnold's first sack and pressure coming again on the INT.  That was obviously his worst throw but on 4th it kind of didn't matter much.  Think that was him feeling the pressure from the rush and knowing it was 4th hoping something would happen.  Not concerned with that decision.  The one drive he did get rolling Qvale got the full start and Anderson did a poor job on Darnold 3rd down throw not getting to the sticks.  Those hurt two promising drives.

Bridgewater: He looks like he is back albeit against 3rd stringers.  Good to see him play well now we just need to hope that we can trade him.  It likely will be for a 4th or something unless an injury happens but a 4th is no bad for a taking a flyer on a QB.  

Defense: Pass rush is so bad.  Smith was sipping on some tea back there before throwing the ball.  There is going to be a ton of pressure on the secondary to make plays.  I do think our rush defense is going to be really good though.  Hope Bowles can scheme pressure because if not our secondary is going to get picked apart.

OL: Bad, very bad.  Penalties, no run blocking, equally poor pass blocking.  We should be able to keep Darnold safe once Beach and Winters are back but we need to pray for health because our depth is atrocious.

For week 3 hopefully we open the field for Darnold and let him throw down field more.  I hope that is them being cautious because of the OL.

We need to go OL heavy next offseason, our OL sucks. Our first round pick should be either OL, explosive offensive playmaker, or a edge rusher. Whatever is the best there.

FA we could go after playmakers or OL as well. But we need to improve the talent there, Darnold will have a hard time this year with that bad OL. 

Archived