Bears v Broncos Joint Practice

WindyCity

This is my summary based on all the tweets

-Mitch Trubisky was sharp
-Snap issues all day long, through timing off
-Soildi day for Anthony Miller
-The TEs, Burton and Shaheen, were very good. Multiple Denver beat guys commented.
-Wims caught a bomb TD and seems to be the top 2nd team target
-The offense was good
-The defense struggled in the middle of the field with Denver
-The Bears had issues with Thomas and Sanders

Kevin Fishbain

Verified account

@kfishbain
Following Following @kfishbain
More
Von Miller: “Mitch is a great quarterback. ... He’s their franchise quarterback. [As a defense], you’ve gotta not let him scramble and not let him complete passes. ... He can do a little bit of everything.”

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Kevin Fishbain

Verified account

@kfishbain
More
Von Miller: “Mitch is a great quarterback. ... He’s their franchise quarterback. [As a defense], you’ve gotta not let him scramble and not let him complete passes. ... He can do a little bit of everything.”

Just got stiff....

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Kevin Fishbain

Verified account

@kfishbain
More

I wonder what jalen Ramsey thinks of that quote xD

Von Miller quote below. Last year he sucked, or to say the least, was not great? 

“MITCH IS A GREAT QUARTERBACK. I THINK WITH THE OFFENSIVE SCHEME AND THE PLAYERS HE HAS AROUND HIM, HE’LL BE GREAT. HE WAS GREAT LAST YEAR. HE WAS GREAT IN COLLEGE AS WELL. HE’S THEIR FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK. YOU GOTTA NOT LET HIM SCRAMBLE, NOT LET HIM COMPLETE PASSES. I THINK THAT’S THE SAME GAME PLAN EVERY WEEK. UNLESS YOU’RE PLAYING A FAST GUY WHICH YOU KNOW MITCH IS FAST, HE CAN RUN. SO HE CAN DO A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING SO YOU HAVE TO BE PREPARED FOR EVERYTHING.”

I was there today so I can offer some observations with respect to the Bears:

1) Mitch wasn't particularly accurate; many of his passes were errant. However, he was able to connect with the TEs regularly. I don't remember him throwing a pick. Compared to the Denver QBs, he looked like a god. 

2) The Bears' TEs are dominant. Burton was quick and smooth, and Shaheen was prominently featured and regularly open. Much of the offense seems to be focused around them.

3) White was open all practice, and Mitch threw to him often. He looked like the best athlete on the field. 

4) Roquan is going to be a star. He worked sparingly with the 2nd and 3rd units, but he was, with the exception of two misdirections, always in the right spot to make a stop. His presence transformed those units. On a redzone episode, he blanketed Demaryius Thomas in coverage. 

5) The Bears are stacked with pass catching positions. Miller is tough and shifty, White looks explosive, Wims in an intriguing prospect, TEs, etc. Marlon Brown was targeted numerous times. The most disappointing was Robinson, who to me looked to lack suddenness. 

6) Hall had a great practice; he was the best defender in one-on-ones and made many good plays. Fuller was burned on every one-on-one. 

7) O'Donnell had some massive punts. 

8) Overall, the Bears look like the far more athletic team, and the offense has the potential to be exciting. 

12 hours ago, WindyCity said:

This is my summary based on all the tweets

-Mitch Trubisky was sharp
-Snap issues all day long, through timing off
-Soildi day for Anthony Miller
-The TEs, Burton and Shaheen, were very good. Multiple Denver beat guys commented.
-Wims caught a bomb TD and seems to be the top 2nd team target
-The offense was good
-The defense struggled in the middle of the field with Denver
-The Bears had issues with Thomas and Sanders

Saw Benjamin Allbright talk about this on Twitter. He said the natural solution would be to switch Daniels to center and Whitehair to guard, he had watched the Bears practice for one day and seen something we've been asking for for weeks... hopefully it's not too long before that move happens.

7 hours ago, dafreak said:

Von Miller quote below. Last year he sucked, or to say the least, was not great? 

“MITCH IS A GREAT QUARTERBACK. I THINK WITH THE OFFENSIVE SCHEME AND THE PLAYERS HE HAS AROUND HIM, HE’LL BE GREAT. HE WAS GREAT LAST YEAR. HE WAS GREAT IN COLLEGE AS WELL. HE’S THEIR FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK. YOU GOTTA NOT LET HIM SCRAMBLE, NOT LET HIM COMPLETE PASSES. I THINK THAT’S THE SAME GAME PLAN EVERY WEEK. UNLESS YOU’RE PLAYING A FAST GUY WHICH YOU KNOW MITCH IS FAST, HE CAN RUN. SO HE CAN DO A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING SO YOU HAVE TO BE PREPARED FOR EVERYTHING.”

MT10 didnt suck last year.  Ill give you that he wasnt great, but the final 5 games of the year his comp% was 68% and his qbr was 97.  As a rookie.  Thats where the hope comes from.  Let me just put it this way, he set the Bears rookie records for completions, yards, passing tds.  That is the NFLs original franchise.  

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

MT10 didnt suck last year.  Ill give you that he wasnt great, but the final 5 games of the year his comp% was 68% and his qbr was 97.  As a rookie.  Thats where the hope comes from.  Let me just put it this way, he set the Bears rookie records for completions, yards, passing tds.  That is the NFLs original franchise.  

I guess my point was that Von Miller was simply providing lip service, I am not sure I would put too much weight into what he said.

12 hours ago, RJ_11 said:

Saw Benjamin Allbright talk about this on Twitter. He said the natural solution would be to switch Daniels to center and Whitehair to guard, he had watched the Bears practice for one day and seen something we've been asking for for weeks... hopefully it's not too long before that move happens.

Especially considering that Nagy's offense runs out of shotgun the majority of the time....  Whitehair is a good-maybe even great long term lineman, but his snapping issues where obvious last year (and we avoided shotgun often as a result).... If I'm not mistaken Daniels would have more experience w/ snapping from Iowa (but don't quote me on that)...

The bitter irony is that Grasu, is probably the best snapper on the team, having played C for Oregon under Kelly/Helfrich.... If only he could have gotten the rest of the job down, he'd have been perfect for this offense.

From Denver Post covering practice:

Thumbs Down

Broncos secondary. Against Chicago’s three offensive units, there weren’t many hands on the football, much less a takeaway.

Bears QB Mitch Trubisky went 4-of-4 passing on his second team period, including two passes to TE Trey Burton.

Archived