What would need to happen for you to be ready to bench Tyrod and start Drew Stanton?

NudeTayne

The Drew Stanton era  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Ideal time to get sauced (start Drew Stanton) is

• If we're 0-4.
    • if we need a spark coming out of the bye, week 12.
    • only if Tyrod is struggling at the halfway point.
    • only if we make the playoffs and want to outmaneuver our opponent.
    • right away. Tyrod has proven nothing. We might as well see what we have with Stanton.
    • if Tyrod looks like a game manager.

Per CBS, Hue is looking to elevate Drew Stanton to the status of number two quarterback going forward:

"I've said from the beginning that I think experience is important," Jackson said, per Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot.  "Right now, Drew still has that experience, and we'll see how that all unfolds as we go. I haven't made that choice just yet, but his veteran presence says a lot. He's played in a lot of games against a lot of teams that we are going to start off against and play against so I think that is important to definitely consider."

Meanwhile, quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese pointed toward Stanton's win-loss record as a starter.

"He's the secret sauce," Zampese said this week. "I'll stand right here and say it. He's the secret sauce to the room and to the group. He's seen everything before and he's played enough to know exactly what's going through the starter's head. Shoot, as a starter he has a winning record. So he has a lot of input and a lot of influence on the way we think about things and the way we do things. He's fantastic."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/hue-jackson-indicates-he-may-make-drew-stanton-his-no-2-qb-over-baker-mayfield/amp/

What will it take for Hue to end the Tyrod experiment and instead dip into the secret sauce? 

Be sure to vote on the poll and let us all know where the forum stands as well.

A better quote from the article:

Jackson and Zampese aren't wrong: Stanton has played in a lot of games (38 to be exact) and he's won more games than he's lost (11-6 in 17 career starts). But the idea that the Browns would consider playing Stanton over Mayfield, who appears to be as NFL-ready as a rookie quarterback can be, because he has experience serves as yet another reminder that there are serious questions about this coaching staff's competency.

By the sound of it, Jackson hasn't made a decision yet -- Stanton is expected to get some reps in during the team's next preseason game -- so there's still hope that he'll come to his senses and pick the better quarterback to be higher up the depth chart than the worse quarterback. But given his track record with the Browns, we probably shouldn't expect him to make the common-sense decision. It shouldn't even be a topic of discussion, but here we are

I think this is a temporary, early season move. 

I look at it as if week 1, Taylor breaks his collarbone, is Hueball ready to hand it over to Mayfield henceforth? This isn’t a shocking thought process, though not a popular or agreeable one. I can’t see Stanton being the #2 past the first 1/3 it the season; half at the most.

5 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I think this is a temporary, early season move. 

I look at it as if week 1, Taylor breaks his collarbone, is Hueball ready to hand it over to Mayfield henceforth? This isn’t a shocking thought process, though not a popular or agreeable one. I can’t see Stanton being the #2 past the first 1/3 it the season; half at the most.

This.

IMO the concern would be as NateDawg pointed out. Tyrod is someone that you can’t fully trust and I imagine Stanton would be the immediate backup plan should something happen to Tyrod. 

I cant imagine Mayfield is gonna take too long to get ready and I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see a change in the #2 (and #1) spot relatively quickly. I liked Stanton but he is certainly not a long term starter. 

11 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

IMO the concern would be as NateDawg pointed out. Tyrod is someone that you can’t fully trust and I imagine Stanton would be the immediate backup plan should something happen to Tyrod. 

I cant imagine Mayfield is gonna take too long to get ready and I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see a change in the #2 (and #1) spot relatively quickly. I liked Stanton but he is certainly not a long term starter. 

You lost pal?

We’re in a fight to the death and you come troll me here?  

Youre a real savage.

Would you believe me if I told you I saw this post coming? This thread is so Tayne. #EmbraceTheTayne

I don't believe it for a second, but I will say that it could be situational. If something were to happen to Tyrod in the first few weeks, it seems more likely, but if we get into the middle of the season and it happens, there just can't be any way, unless they're seeing something from Baker that tells them he has a long way to go, which, right now, he certainly does not.

Archived