RIP Aretha Franklin (1942 - 2018)

Heimdallr

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/aretha-franklin-dies-in-detroit-surrounded-by-family-and-friends

Her voice is unparalleled. Her music is legendary. She is The Queen. 

Aretha Franklin, The Queen of Soul, has died Thursday at the age of 76, according to her publicist. Earlier this week the news broke that she was seriously ill and was being surrounded by loved ones. She died at 9:50 a.m. at her home in Detroit. 

Unquestionable one of the greatest and most influential artists of the 20th century. 

I think I know her more as an icon than I actually know her music. I grew up on the oldies since that's what my ma listened to. But aside from R-E-S-P-E-C-T, I can't name another of her songs. But I'm sure I've heard a bunch.

Either way, death is always a sad affair. And it sucks to lose such an icon. RIP

14 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

But aside from R-E-S-P-E-C-T, I can't name another of her songs. 

That actually isn't even her song. Originally by Otis Redding, and the original song is about a man wanting respect when he gets home from work for earning all the money.

14 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

That actually isn't even her song. Originally by Otis Redding, and the original song is about a man wanting respect when he gets home from work for earning all the money.

Makes the fact that it’s known as “her” song even more important IMO 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived