Tremaine Edmunds OR Derwin James VS Jaire Alexander and NO Saints 2019 1st Rd Pick

Mr Anonymous

Placeholder for future discussion on the merits of passing up the opportunity to select either Tremaine Edmunds or Derwin James and instead moving back in the 2018 1st round to select Jaire Alexander and pick up New Orleans' 2019 first rounder. This is where the careers of two players widely graded on a higher tier will be measured against the player the Packers ultimately selected (Alexander) and what becomes of the asset acquired to move down.

I am on record as saying this will be a regrettable decision by Brian Gutenkunst. This is merely one of many decisions made both by Gutekunst and Packers management that will ultimately be looked back as the beginning of the decline of the Green Bay Packers to 1980s-like levels. The decline will be complete when Aaron Rodgers career in Green Bay ends.

14 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Placeholder for future discussion on the merits of passing up the opportunity to select either Tremaine Edmunds or Derwin James and instead moving back in the 2018 1st round to select Jaire Alexander and pick up New Orleans' 2019 first rounder. This is where the careers of two players widely graded on a higher tier will be measured against the player the Packers ultimately selected (Alexander) and what becomes of the asset acquired to move down.

I am on record as saying this will be a regrettable decision by Brian Gutenkunst. This is merely one of many decisions made both by Gutekunst and Packers management that will ultimately be looked back as the beginning of the decline of the Green Bay Packers to 1980s-like levels. The decline will be complete when Aaron Rodgers career in Green Bay ends.

I can't help but notice you did not mention which player you would have selected in favor of (Alexander + 2019 RD1 pick)

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

I can't help but notice you did not mention which player you would have selected in favor of (Alexander + 2019 RD1 pick)

I think both will be far better and that the Packers will regret passing on both. Of the two, I would have selected Derwin James.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You're using two different conjunctions in your title and your post. You should probably fix that.

Fixed. It's the career of Edmunds vs Alexander and what becomes of the NO 2019 #1 or the career of James vs Alexander and the '19 NO 1st.

I think either route will be far superior to the route the Packers went.

1 minute ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Fixed. It's the career of Edmunds vs Alexander and what becomes of the NO 2019 #1 or the career of James vs Alexander and the '19 NO 1st.

I think either route will be far superior to the route the Packers went.

K

We're like 4 years away from being able to have a legitimate conversation about this move. 

1 minute ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I think both will be far better and that the Packers will regret passing on both. Of the two, I would have selected Derwin James.

Fair enough.  So the relevant discussion here is James vs (Alexander + 2019 RD1 pick)

I don't have an issue with GB's side of that deal.

I don't expect many to be against the trade right now. After all, the idea of having NO's 1st rounder next year is plenty enticing. I do think we will see enough in 2018 to start regretting passing on Edmunds and James. I think James is going to open eyes very fast.

Archived