Darron Lee another bad draft mistake

doumeyer

6 hours ago, KBS756 said:

hopefully this game gives him the confidence he needs to elevate his game

Both his INT were when he was playing zone defensive, but the key was he was in the right position. He has the speed, lets hope he improves when he is in man coverage. He does bring speed to the defensive. After what I saw last night, it looks like we are going to be a big pain in the butt for a lot of teams we play this year. 

10 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Both his INT were when he was playing zone defensive, but the key was he was in the right position. He has the speed, lets hope he improves when he is in man coverage. He does bring speed to the defensive. After what I saw last night, it looks like we are going to be a big pain in the butt for a lot of teams we play this year. 

He almost had a third while sitting in zone over the middle. Looked exactly like the Madden superman animation.

10 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Jets fans tend to put expectations on players to be immediate all pros otherwise they are garbage and a waste. 

He graded out as the worst starting ILB two years in a row. Hes been atrocious. He played a great game and i am very happy for him, but this was an anomaly base on his play thus far. Not a single person on here is wrong to say hes been terrible so far. Your statement simply does not apply here. 

14 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Jets fans tend to put expectations on players to be immediate all pros otherwise they are garbage and a waste. 

Where a player is drafted dictates a lot. He’s a 1st Rounder and hasn’t came close to playing like one in his career. Hopefully this year it clicks for him. But he’s played like an udfa his 1st couple years of his career.

4 hours ago, ekill08x said:

He graded out as the worst starting ILB two years in a row. Hes been atrocious. He played a great game and i am very happy for him, but this was an anomaly base on his play thus far. Not a single person on here is wrong to say hes been terrible so far. Your statement simply does not apply here. 

Everything has to be kept in prospective. Yes, he’s been bad. However, let’s not forget that he is still 23 years old. Let’s not forget how incredibly raw he was coming out of college. 

Do I think will become a top LB out of nowhere? No, but I do think we start seeing his play pay dividends this year. He’s the new-style LB who’s difficiencies against the run will be forgotten if he continues to make plays.

3 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Everything has to be kept in prospective. Yes, he’s been bad. However, let’s not forget that he is still 23 years old. Let’s not forget how incredibly raw he was coming out of college. 

Do I think will become a top LB out of nowhere? No, but I do think we start seeing his play pay dividends this year. He’s the new-style LB who’s difficiencies against the run will be forgotten if he continues to make plays.

NO argument there. But to say we've been tough on him is completely false. Hes played THAT bad. Yes if he can make plays in the passing game and even be a mediocre run defender then we have something here. Like you said hes very young and raw and I hope this makes him play with confidence. He still has a lot of work to do, but he seems to be buddy buddy with jamal adams, and thats the guy to be close with. Jamal is the smartest guy on defense and could really help Lee learn how to dissect plays in the running game too. Great start to the year for both. 

We all should have expected a project with Lee when he came out.  Many people say it takes players in certain positions 3 years before they can have that impact you should expect.  QB, CB, WR are a few of them that immediately come to mind.  Lee is still learning where to be instead of just playing naturally and letting his natural talent shine.  Hopefully this being year 3 is the year he breaks out and starts to just play.

He made a really great play on a screen too where he split two defenders and made the tackle on the RB.  If the DL can eat up space (and we have some real space eaters in Williams, McClendon, Shepard) then Lee will be the one to benefit the most.  If he turns into the player we all expect then our defense just got a huge boost. 

19 hours ago, ekill08x said:

NO argument there. But to say we've been tough on him is completely false. Hes played THAT bad. Yes if he can make plays in the passing game and even be a mediocre run defender then we have something here. Like you said hes very young and raw and I hope this makes him play with confidence. He still has a lot of work to do, but he seems to be buddy buddy with jamal adams, and thats the guy to be close with. Jamal is the smartest guy on defense and could really help Lee learn how to dissect plays in the running game too. Great start to the year for both. 

Spot on- it’s been fair criticism. And as you alluded to, I saw a completely different player after the pick 6. He was the best player on the field from that point on. It’s as if a monkey had been lifted off his back. 

Lee is a smart guy. He’s got an edge to him. I think it’s meshing those qualities with confidence and instincts. That is exactly where having a guy like Adams is a blessing, as you said. I can care less that he’s a “safety”—he’s a playmaker who will impact this defense beyond measure over his career, not only with his own play but how he improves those around him. 

Archived