Man, is it ever nice having a real Head Coach again.

RaidersAreOne

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000948127/article/chuckys-back-jon-gruden-demands-fire-from-oakland-raiders

That said, Gruden spent much of training camp propping up the spirits of his players, deftly vacillating between motivational speaker and drill sergeant. In Olson's words, Gruden "has a way of pushing the right buttons, in terms of criticism on the field -- where he gets after guys -- and praise in the meetings, where he cracks people up. At first, I think they weren't sure if they could laugh or not. He keeps them stimulated and engaged. They don't fall asleep in his meetings, I promise you that."

Echoed 13th-year tackle Donald Penn, who played for Gruden in Tampa early in his career: "He keeps it hilarious. Meetings aren't boring, because he's so energetic. Guys aren't falling asleep and looking at their phones, because he's so animated. And that's why guys are picking up the offense so quickly, with better attention to detail."

In the months since Jack Del Rio's firing last Dec. 31, several current and former Raiders have privately complained about the prior regime's deficiencies, something not uncommon when a coaching change is made following a rough season. Given that the Raiders went 12-4 in 2016, ending a painful stretch of 13 years without a winning season or playoff appearance, there were enormous expectations heading into 2017. Oakland, however, sputtered to a 6-10 record, setting the stage for Gruden's return. One Raidersveteran said he believed Del Rio had become "complacent," both in terms of work ethic and enforcement of rules. There were issues on both sides of the ball, with defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr. getting fired in November and first-year offensive coordinator Todd Downing emerging as a season-long target of criticism.

Now? Gruden and his handpicked defensive coordinator, Paul Guenther (who held the same job with the Cincinnati Bengals the previous four seasons), serve as each other's favorite target, providing an edge to this summer's practices.

"It's crazy," Guenther said. "Every day after practice, I feel like it's 4 o'clock on a Sunday. It's like a game, every day."

Surprisingly a decent article from Silver. He touches on previous coaching issues, how energetic Gruden is which helps in team meetings, accountability, urgency, creativeness, etc. I am so excited to have legitimate leadership in place.

I have to say I was very sceptical about a return for Gruden, partly as I watched the Art Shell Raiders first time round and obviously had my hopes dashed that second time. I like what I'm reading coming from TC and pre-season though and he does seem to have energised the team..........at least according to the reports. The co-ordinators are an improvement and IMHo that was the biggest error JDR made last year.

However, we're still in the honeymoon period and I'm not going to crown him just yet until we see some regular season action. The one thing that does concern me is that the media and beat writers all seemed to have jumped with both feet on the Gruden band wagon and I wonder if they're losing some objectivity.

I'll be optimistic however and expect a playoff push - as I've said before I regard last years team as the outlier rather than the 2016 version who I thought was closer to who we actually are.

It’s a good feeling having a real coaching staff now. I was beyond thrilled to move on from del rio don’t get me wrong he was ok but once musgrave left and for some unholy reason he kept KNJ as long as he did he was done. Mediocre to the core. I highly doubt we will end up with the art she’ll bed n breakfast offense with this crew. I’m excited but need to see a regular season game before any serious worries set in. Like that opener vs the bangles when we looked like a division 2 college team.

i have great optimism but from the horror we have suffered for sooooo long we are the [dude are serious with this? what even? removed by moderator ?]

I am not an Olsen fan. He was ok the first time but almost anything is better than Todd. I want to see more Carr in the system. He was a little wobbly on his only drive.

Chucky will be entertaining at the very least.I felt he could have gotten better Offensive coaches but being he's running the show it's hard to get anyone really good and stick. Think he'll hire the Redskins coaches when his brother gets fired. Philly and Giants are too good for Skins and Boys. Jay will become OC and Bill will be oline when it happens IMO.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Grunde the HC, I trust. 

Gruden the GM, I don't. 

Worst case, he'll bring in someone at some point. And he's not wrong that the roster was lackluster. I dont mind this years draft either, outside of Kolton Miller. I'm with you that I'm not 100% on him, but at the very least, we can all agree that good coaching (a real staff) can do wonders for a team coached by JDR.

23 hours ago, Jerry said:

If we end up with more sacks while giving up less points compared to last season, then I wouldn't even be upset with the Mack trade.  Just saying.

We probably are because of a really good coach on D and enough talent on the D overall. We just don't have our APEX Predator hunting the QB's. Still just kept him on 5th year even if he missed 10 games would have looked better than how we look now. Just win baby and all is forgiven. It's smart to not have two 20 million players but Mack would have been the exception. It would have been a smaller window, but the window will get bigger with the cap and extra picks to move up and get a stud if needed. However with helmet rules it might be an Offense only NFL as D will lose it's ability to get into the players heads before getting POPPED!!!

Archived