The backup QB debate: Manuel vs Cook

RaidersAreOne

QB #2 Debate: Manuel vs Cook  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our #2 QB this year?

Of our many camp battles, the backup QB position is definitely an intriguing one. We have a "bust" reclamation project in Manuel vs. a promising raw prospect in Cook. From all reports throughout OTA's and TC, Manuel has looked better than Cook. I have to say Manuel looked better in the first pre-season match as well.

Who do you guys think will ultimately win the #2 QB job come regular season? I personally believe we will keep both Cook and Manuel, with Manuel being the designated #2. I simply do not trust only having 2 QB's on the active day roster, and Cook will require another year before being given substantial responsibility.

2 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Pretty evident EJ is the way to go, barring some kind of big rise from Cook.  Not sure if I agree with 3 QBs but we did do that last year.  Plus, I think Cook wouldn't clear waivers.

Agreed. This is why the backup QB debate is not such a black and white question. I trust Manuel more to step in if Carr goes down, but I want the coaching staff and Cook to get more reps in practice because I think he could turn in to something someday. That's why I think we keep all 3 because someone would 100% pick Cook up off waivers or from our practice squad if we sent him down, yet he can't handle being the #2 guy yet.

Somewhat a debate of short term security vs long term investment.

EJ no doubt. He won some games as a rookie in Buffalo. I feel like he'll develop and learn from watching. Buffalo put a ton of pressure on the guy day 1. He's got all the physical tools. He needs to get the nuances of a starting QB down.

Cook's accuracy is still an issue. Not sure how much better he'll get.

EJ takes it I believe. I think he can make all the throws and is more accurate and game tested. I think after last year the front office was focused on getting someone in here they know can start a few games and and has proven he can win in the league. Cook will keep learning but shouldn't see the field til he can makes those touch throws this offense utilizes.

I think it's EJ Manuel as well, and in that scenario I think Cook gets shipped to a team like Arizona after the season (or at trade deadline) giving a (then) QB needy team that was likely competitive a chance at a bridge starter since they will likely be out of range for a Darnold/Rosen type.

I watched EJ closely in buffalo.  He has shown glimpses in past preseasons but once the lights turned on for the regular season he was terrible.  His accuracy was atrocious, I question his leadership ability and intelligence as a QB.  The only thing he has over Cook is NFL experience.  I bet they give the number 2 spot to EJ only because of his experience but I certainly pray he never sees the field because if he does for any extended period of time you can kiss the season goodbye.

8 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I watched EJ closely in buffalo.  He has shown glimpses in past preseasons but once the lights turned on for the regular season he was terrible.  His accuracy was atrocious, I question his leadership ability and intelligence as a QB.  The only thing he has over Cook is NFL experience.  I bet they give the number 2 spot to EJ only because of his experience but I certainly pray he never sees the field because if he does for any extended period of time you can kiss the season goodbye.

I mean, most teams can kiss their season goodbye if their starter gets hurt.  I'm fine with rolling with EJ.  Maybe he'll improve.  And our OL, receivers, backs, and TEs are better than what he had to work with in Buffalo.  I'm not saying he'll be a stud, but maybe serviceable.  Connor Cook has to show me he can throw a ball with even a little accuracy before I prefer him.

My good friend was a buffalo fan, so we watch most Bills and raider games together. I was always a fan of EJ, he seemed to show promise, but just never delivered consistency. I thin kthat's more than Cook has ever showed tbh. I'm happy with EJ as a backup, he won't be the best backup, but he won't be the worst either.  I think he can do enough to not lose us a game if he has to come in. 

Update after the second preseason game:

• Manuel didn't look comfortable whatsoever and had major accuracy issues. Finished the day 3/9 for 16 yards.
  • Cook looked poised, accurate and marched the O with confidence up until the last minute drive where he couldn't get things going. Finished the day 9/15 for 83 yards and 1 TD.

IMO Manuel looked better week one and Cook looked better this week. This competition looks closer and could be a tight one up until week one.

I think its too close to call as of now. EJ looked good in WK1 and Cook had the better WK2. I don't think either has a firm grasp on the clipboard just yet. If I were a betting man I'd bet that both are on the 53 man roster. I voted for Cook, because I think as the pre-season moves along Cook will continue to progress. We'll have to see, its an interesting one to watch.

Archived