We need to be running some 46 packages!

aceinthehouse

This Defense is setup to run the 46 Defense.

I realize we run a 34 base & that's fine for keeping that as our primary Defense. But there's too much talent on our D-line to have sitting on the bench for only special packages.

Im a big believer in building your defense, that best suits the personnel on the field. Whether that's a 34, 43 or even a nickel base. So forgive me if i consider it a crime, to be running a 34 Defense when there's 4 potential pro bowlers along the D-line & 2 or 3 backups who could be starting on another team.

So what 46 personnel package would I have on the field? Easy....

Ryan K-Allen-Payne-Settles-Ionitus-Brown
-------Kerrigan & Brown standing up------
Spaight & DB Swearenger at LB depth

Josh Norman & #2 CB who wins job

With M. Nicholson as deep FS

Now obviously, when facing a spread Offense? Your Defense would be subject to change for coverage purposes.

But for a typical offense running a tight formation or having a 2-back set behind the LOS?

This 46 set would create nightmares for offenses. This would also make play action very difficult to run against us because of different blitzing packages available.

But the biggest reason? Our Run Defense would be a brick wall!

I would love to believe we already have something like this. But who knows how innovative Manusky or our coaching staff will be.

It’s more of a passing league now. It would be a bad idea to do this. We generally match up our defense depending on what the opposing offensive personnel is on the field.

Im absolutely confused on the alignment you are suggesting, I think you need to redo that. 

You have Brown at two positions, why would you take PSmith off the field?

I think having a 46 look on first downs vs the Cowboys and Giants while trying to defend Elliot & Barkley makes sense but only for those first downs vs those specific teams and against those two specific backs, otherwise switching to that defense more than the defense we currently use the most, a 4-2-5, doesn’t make much sense.

17 hours ago, mar29020 said:

we cant use that 46 defense in todays nfl. i used to use that defense all the time in madden on ps2 lol. with only a single high safety it would be to easy to beat with our defensive set up. maybe if we had ed reed lol

Or Sean Taylor... :D

On 8/18/2018 at 9:20 AM, Jeezy Fanatic said:

The base defense in the NFL these days is essentially a nickel, any marginally competent offense would eat a base 4-6 set alive.

Given that we will likely have no running game and down graded at QB, I think we'll be playing a lot of nickel defense this season.

5 hours ago, Slateman said:

Given that we will likely have no running game and down graded at QB, I think we'll be playing a lot of nickel defense this season.

The difference in this season and the previous 3 could be the defense. I don’t expect the record to be much better or worse, but our defense looks like it should be better.

I think the passing game is going to be about the same. I think we all would agree that Paul Richardson is an upgrade over Ryan Grant and Terrelle Pryor so that upgrade would make up for the change in QB positon, if their does happen to be a downgrade, which I don’t believe there is, but to each his own.

Archived