Who are the most overpaid players in the league?

patriotsheatyan

Thats easy.

Jimmy G - He got paid after only a 7 game sample. Thats not much of a difference than when Bradford got a big deal in 2010 when he was drafted 1st overall. The NFL fixed the problem by having a rookie wage scale. 

Derek Carr - What if I was to tell you that his career passing yards average per attempt was 6.5 for his career, that ranks 131 in NFL history? His brother, David Carr, ranks 132 with 6.6. We all can agree David Carr was one of the biggest busts in NFL history. Like he got paid big bucks as well. 

Both guys need to prove more to even show that they are close to being worthy of those contracts they signed.

9 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Why do people start threads like this without including a name or two of their own?

Because then the whole thread would just be fans of that player's team defending him and telling the OP he is wrong.

Guys getting way too much for what they will bring to the table in 2018 IMO...

• Jimmy G. Obviously has great potential not to be. 
  • Joe Flacco
  • Olivier Vernon
  • Marcell Dareus
  • JPP
  • Jamie Collins
  • Robert Quinn
  • Trumaine Johnson

At first glance guys like Cooks, Watkins, Jeffery and Adams all seem kind of overpaid, but that's just the reality of WR contracts nowadays.

19 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Because then the whole thread would just be fans of that player's team defending him and telling the OP he is wrong.

Guys getting way too much for what they will bring to the table in 2018 IMO...

• Jimmy G. Obviously has great potential not to be. 
  • Joe Flacco
  • Olivier Vernon
  • Marcell Dareus
  • JPP
  • Jamie Collins
  • Robert Quinn
  • Trumaine Johnson

At first glance guys like Cooks, Watkins, Jeffery and Adams all seem kind of overpaid, but that's just the reality of WR contracts nowadays.

I think Cooks isnt overpaid. Do you know the only other WR in the NFL to have at least 1000yds and 7tds in the last 3 seasons in AB? Did you know that in Brady's entire career, Cooks is the only receiver to average the most yards per catch in a single season? And oh by the way. Brady had the HOF'er himself Moss catching passes from him. Moss is known as the best deep ball receiver to ever play the game. If Cooks is overpaid with that production then I dont truly qualifies as being overpaid?

21 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I think Cooks isnt overpaid. Do you know the only other WR in the NFL to have at least 1000yds and 7tds in the last 3 seasons in AB? Did you know that in Brady's entire career, Cooks is the only receiver to average the most yards per catch in a single season? And oh by the way. Brady had the HOF'er himself Moss catching passes from him. Moss is known as the best deep ball receiver to ever play the game. If Cooks is overpaid with that production then I dont truly qualifies as being overpaid?

Image result for take it easy gif

Most of them are on the niners. Jimmy based on the sample, yes, though there's great hope he won't be. Think he would have gotten a similar deal on the open market. McKinnon probably the most overpaid running back. Juice check the most overpaid fullback. Malcolm Smith most overpaid off the ball linebacker possibly. 

3 hours ago, VanS said:

Matt Ryan - product of Julio Jones and Kyle Shannahan in 2016

Jimmy Garropolo - small sample size

GTFOH you are delusional on Ryan as being a product of Julio and Shanny.  Ryan has been a top 5 to 10 QB for most of his career with a below avg O-line and defense.  I would give up his skill players all day long for a top tier O-line every year.  If you give Ryan a little time he can make any WR look good.   For god sakes he turned Harry Douglas into a 1000+ yard reciever when the man hasn't touched almost half that in a season anywhere else.

With that said yes he makes a ton of money right now as do most Qb's who all are overpaid outside of maybe Brady and the younger guys.  In 2 or 3 years Ryan probably won't be in the top 5 to 10 of QB contracts.

You can't just bunch every player in the league into one basket and come up with a single conclusion. There are far too many factors are involved to do any of that. Starting with the simple, easy example of the super high QB contracts vs super low RB contracts. 

That said, I will list my top 3 offensive skill players from each position that I feel are overpaid based on their production.  

QB: 
Kirk Cousins (
JG
Joe Flacco

RB:
Jerick McKinnon
Lamar Miller
Carlos Hyde

TE:
Cameron Brate
Trey Burton
Jordan Reed