Who are the most overpaid players in the league?

patriotsheatyan

57 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

GTFOH you are delusional on Ryan as being a product of Julio and Shanny.  Ryan has been a top 5 to 10 QB for most of his career with a below avg O-line and defense.  I would give up his skill players all day long for a top tier O-line every year.  If you give Ryan a little time he can make any WR look good.   For god sakes he turned Harry Douglas into a 1000+ yard reciever when the man hasn't touched almost half that in a season anywhere else.

With that said yes he makes a ton of money right now as do most Qb's who all are overpaid outside of maybe Brady and the younger guys.  In 2 or 3 years Ryan probably won't be in the top 5 to 10 of QB contracts.

The phrase "Product of" is being thrown around too loosely these days. I blame Brady for that.....and Obama.

4 hours ago, VanS said:

Matt Ryan - product of Julio Jones and Kyle Shannahan in 2016

Jimmy Garropolo - small sample size

Uh, Matt Ryan was OROY and led the Falcons to an 11-5 record and the playoffs one year after Michael Vick went to prison, Bobby Petrino fled the state under cover of darkness, and the team had finished 4-12.  He also led them to a #1 seed in the NFC in 2010 in just his 3rd year, which was also before Julio was ever drafted.  In 2012 he led the Falcons to their second #1 seed in the NFC, had very similar numbers to his 2016 MVP season, and would've beaten both Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick to get to his first SB had the Falcons played any defense in the second half of the NFCCG which they led 17-0 to start.  He's taken his team to the playoffs in 6 of the 9 seasons he played the entire year (including 2 NFCCG's and a SB as well as league MVP), has thrown for over 4k yards every year since 2011, has 260 TD's to only 126 INT's and has a career QB rating of 93.4.  In short, he's probably the 5th or 6th best QB in the entire league and he was the latest to sign a contract so of course will be the highest paid, until the next guy signs a contract.  There are about 26-27 teams in the NFL that would LOVE to have Matt Ryan on their team so I'd say he is not overpaid by any measure.

4 minutes ago, megatechpc said:

Uh, Matt Ryan was OROY and led the Falcons to an 11-5 record and the playoffs one year after Michael Vick went to prison, Bobby Petrino fled the state under cover of darkness, and the team had finished 4-12.  He also led them to a #1 seed in the NFC in 2010 in just his 3rd year, which was also before Julio was ever drafted.  In 2012 he led the Falcons to their second #1 seed in the NFC, had very similar numbers to his 2016 MVP season, and would've beaten both Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick to get to his first SB had the Falcons played any defense in the second half of the NFCCG which they led 17-0 to start.  He's taken his team to the playoffs in 6 of the 9 seasons he played the entire year (including 2 NFCCG's and a SB as well as league MVP), has thrown for over 4k yards every year since 2011, has 260 TD's to only 126 INT's and has a career QB rating of 93.4.  In short, he's probably the 5th or 6th best QB in the entire league and he was the latest to sign a contract so of course will be the highest paid, until the next guy signs a contract.  There are about 26-27 teams in the NFL that would LOVE to have Matt Ryan on their team so I'd say he is not overpaid by any measure.

Get em!

29 minutes ago, megatechpc said:

And he has two first names. 

Boom!

2 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

GTFOH you are delusional on Ryan as being a product of Julio and Shanny.  Ryan has been a top 5 to 10 QB for most of his career with a below avg O-line and defense.  I would give up his skill players all day long for a top tier O-line every year.  If you give Ryan a little time he can make any WR look good.   For god sakes he turned Harry Douglas into a 1000+ yard reciever when the man hasn't touched almost half that in a season anywhere else.

With that said yes he makes a ton of money right now as do most Qb's who all are overpaid outside of maybe Brady and the younger guys.  In 2 or 3 years Ryan probably won't be in the top 5 to 10 of QB contracts.

Never said Matt Ryan was garbage.  The question here is about who is the most overpaid player in the NFL.  Right now the highest paid QB in the NFL based on annual salary and he's nowhere close to being the best.  As a pure talent, I have Matt Ryan in the 10-15 range of starting QBs in the NFL.  IMO Matt Ryan has never been anywhere close to a top 5 QB in terms of talent in my opinion.  Now he did have that one MVP year where he was considered by most to be top 5 in the league.  But I attribute that success to Kyle Shanahan.  As we saw last year, Matt Ryan wasn't the same without Shanahan scheming things open for him.  And there is no doubt Matt Ryan has benefitted from having Julio Jones.  Most of the time he just throws it up for grabs and Julio comes down with the amazing catches.

Take Julio Jones and an offensive genius like Shanahan away from Matt Ryan and he's in the 10-15 range of starting QBs in the NFL.  That is not worth $30 million/yr in my book.  That is why I said he was overrated. 

40 minutes ago, megatechpc said:

Great history lesson.  Now go back and read the question being asked in this thread and then read that sentence you just posted and tell me how it contradicts my position?  The question here is about who is the most OVERPAID player in the NFL.  Matt Ryan is currently the highest paid player in the NFL with an annual salary of $30 million/yr.   You admit yourself he's nowhere close to being the best QB in the NFL and yet he's paid as such.  By definition that is being overpaid.  

Now lets get to where we disagree.  You say he's in the 5-6 range and then rattled off a bunch of regular season accomplishments.  I have him in the 10-15 range.  And while you are right that in the regular season he's had some good years statistically without Shanahan, and he did have some success before Julio, Matt Ryan has also been known for a while as being a choker in the playoffs.  So while he's a great play in fantasy football, in real football I can think of a number of QBs I would rather have than Matt Ryan because I care about winning in the postseason rather than regular season stats. 

Matt Ryan has never come off as a top 5 QB when I watched him play.

Well that's just because you have no idea what you are talking about.  If you truly believe Matt Ryan is as low as the 15th best QB in the league I just cant take your opinions seriously.  Just go ahead and list the 14 QBs you think are better and more accomplished than Matt Ryan so I can laugh at you.  By the way, you should really check out Ryan's playoff stats over the last two seasons before you say he sucks in the post season.  Again, you just dont have a clue.

You also dont seem to understand how QB pay scales work in the NFL.  If you are a franchise QB and it's your turn to get a new contract you are going to be the highest paid player until the next franchise QB gets a new deal.  There was Stafford, then Carr, then Garoppolo, then Cousins, and now Ryan.  Next will be Rodgers.  QBs are not paid in order of who is best, they are paid in the order of who is next.  It's really not hard to understand; if your team has no QB you are going no where, so when you do have a QB you make sure he goes no where.

As much as I can’t stand him, it’s hard to argue that Tom Brady isn’t the most underpaid player in the NFL.  Even I consider him to be the best QB of all time and he’s not making near as much as several other unproven QBs in the league.  But this goes back to the QB pay scale I mentioned earlier, and Brady is an outlier because he purposefully takes less to help his team keep the salary cap in check.

9 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Thats easy.

Jimmy G - He got paid after only a 7 game sample. Thats not much of a difference than when Bradford got a big deal in 2010 when he was drafted 1st overall. The NFL fixed the problem by having a rookie wage scale. 

Derek Carr - What if I was to tell you that his career passing yards average per attempt was 6.5 for his career, that ranks 131 in NFL history? His brother, David Carr, ranks 132 with 6.6. We all can agree David Carr was one of the biggest busts in NFL history. Like he got paid big bucks as well. 

Both guys need to prove more to even show that they are close to being worthy of those contracts they signed.

He's lead the league/2nd in the league (I forget) in drops over the past 4 years with 144 according to PFF. At 15 yards per catch, which is about 64th in the NFL last year, that's 2160 yards lost right there. 2160 yards/2247 attempts is about a yard per attempt. 7.5 yards per attempt is closer to league average. Obviously all qb's have drops, but if you look at the last 3 years (his rookie year he had a horrid YPA because of how bad his cast was), and add 1/2 of the drop yards, that's still 7.5 yards per attempt, which isn't that bad.

If you're going to use efficiency stats, as opposed to just YPA, consider that his touchdown to interception ratio is 5th highest of all time, after a down year.

He's not overpaid. He's a young qb with 4 offensive coordinators in the last 5 years who's barely in what used to be considered a qb's prime and has about 10 years left minimum.

The revisionist history regarding Carr in this forum is a joke. From the darling young star to borderline top 20 in one season and now apparently, he's a one season wonder because 2015 didn't exist either and young quarterbacks aren't allowed to have down years, let alone bad offensive coordinators and receivers who lead/ are 2nd in the league in drops.

4 hours ago, VanS said:

Never said Matt Ryan was garbage.  The question here is about who is the most overpaid player in the NFL.  Right now the highest paid QB in the NFL based on annual salary and he's nowhere close to being the best.  As a pure talent, I have Matt Ryan in the 10-15 range of starting QBs in the NFL.  IMO Matt Ryan has never been anywhere close to a top 5 QB in terms of talent in my opinion.  Now he did have that one MVP year where he was considered by most to be top 5 in the league.  But I attribute that success to Kyle Shanahan.  As we saw last year, Matt Ryan wasn't the same without Shanahan scheming things open for him.  And there is no doubt Matt Ryan has benefitted from having Julio Jones.  Most of the time he just throws it up for grabs and Julio comes down with the amazing catches.

Take Julio Jones and an offensive genius like Shanahan away from Matt Ryan and he's in the 10-15 range of starting QBs in the NFL.  That is not worth $30 million/yr in my book.  That is why I said he was overrated. 

You clearly don't watch the Falcons and only grab Matts stats from ESPN. 

Matt played legit last year. He had the lowest turnover worthy % of throws in the league. Now look at how many INTs he threw according to the stats and you'll realize he had one of the most unlucky seasons for a QB in recent years. 

Also how on earth do you judge talent in QB's for Ryan to be top 10 - 15? Hand size? Circumference of their calves? Amount of Syllables in their names? Legit curious. 

5 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Cooks didn't lead the NFL in yards per reception last year.

Never said he did. I said he was the only receiver that played with Brady as a Patriot for a single season to have the highest yards per catch average that Brady has thrown to in that season. That means no other Patriot that Brady has thrown to ever had a higher yards per catch average as a Patriot in a single season than Cooks did last season.

Archived