Who are the most overpaid players in the league?

patriotsheatyan

4 hours ago, AlNFL19 said:

This is blatantly false. In 2004, David Patten caught 44 passes for an average of 18.18 yards. In 2010, Brandon Tate caught 24 passes for an average of 18 yards. And in 2016 - literally only one year before that - Chris Hogan averaged 17.89 yards per reception on 38 catches. Cooks' average was 16.65 last year.

Did those guys warrant qualifying for those seasons? Not saying thats not true but when I heard that stat one day I was amazed about Cooks but thanks for pointing this out to me. 

Just now, stl4life07 said:

Did those guys warrant qualifying for those seasons? Not saying thats not true but when I heard that stat one day I was amazed about Cooks but thanks for pointing this out to me. 

All of them played at least 14 games.

3 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Don’t talk bad about any Rams.... Sheesh

Yeah I am sensitive about my Rams lol.

Seriously I just like talking football no matter what. Ill go far as to say this though, this upcoming season has been the most excited Ive been about the Rams since I became a fan so in the words of Kendrick Lamar "dont kill my vibe" lol.

5 minutes ago, AlNFL19 said:

All of them played at least 14 games.

Ok. Yeah again thanks for point that out because I heard someone mentioned that about Cooks one day and I was amazed because I started to think about the receivers that played with Brady so part of me was thinking someone had to have done that. My thought was Moss but just never had any proof so thanks.

5 hours ago, VanS said:

No.  Nick Foles is a one game (or two game) wonder.  But I would take Carson Wentz over Matt Ryan anyday of the week.  I would also take Deshaun Watson.  

I never said accomplishments are required to gain my respect.  I form my opinions based on watching the guys play.  If I don't find a guy to be as good as the hype (as is the case with Matt Ryan), then the only way I'm gonna give in to the hype is if he wins the Super Bowl.  Then I have no choice but to give him respect even if he never impressed me before that.  Nick Foles is a unique case that isn't relevant to this discussion.  We're talking about the top-tier QBs and where Matt Ryan fits in there.  I don't think he's in that group.  And the only way I'm changing my mind after seeing him play this long is if he wins it all.  

What "hype" are you talking about in the first place?  Matt Ryan is probably the least talked about franchise QB in the media on a yearly basis.  Even when he clearly was the MVP during 2016, the media was doing everything they could to hype Derek Carr whose stats weren't close to Ryan's.  Its amazing how much disrespect you clearly have for a guy who ranks 16th EVER in passing yards (6th active), 18th in TD passes (7th active), 12th in QB rating (8th active), 8th in completion % (4th active), and 10th in INT % (7th active).  If you really think Matt Ryan is only the 15th best QB in the NFL this year I just don't know what to tell you because you're clearly ignorant or a hater. 

Here's my current ranking of Top-10 QB's in the NFL this year:

#1 - Tom Brady

#2 - Aaron Rodgers

#3 - Drew Brees

#4 - Ben Roethlisberger

#5 - Russell Wilson

#6 - Matt Ryan

#7 - Andrew Luck

#8 - Carson Wentz

#9 - Matthew Stafford

#10 - Philip Rivers

Would this thread be more about the high profile players? I ask because as we know, there are players starting that shouldn't be in the league, they deserve their own thread I suppose since they aren't quite the glamorous thieves are they :/  

On 8/17/2018 at 6:09 PM, stl4life07 said:

Thats easy.

Jimmy G - He got paid after only a 7 game sample. Thats not much of a difference than when Bradford got a big deal in 2010 when he was drafted 1st overall. The NFL fixed the problem by having a rookie wage scale. 

Derek Carr - What if I was to tell you that his career passing yards average per attempt was 6.5 for his career, that ranks 131 in NFL history? His brother, David Carr, ranks 132 with 6.6. We all can agree David Carr was one of the biggest busts in NFL history. Like he got paid big bucks as well. 

Both guys need to prove more to even show that they are close to being worthy of those contracts they signed.

What if I were to tell you that you forgot to tell us that Carr has thrown the 4th most TDs through 4 seasons in NFL history.  He is only behind Marino, P.  Manning, and Russell Wilson.  

Pretty decent production for a 2nd round pick that was only paid $1.3 mil average his first 3 seasons.  

4 hours ago, daineraider said:

What if I were to tell you that you forgot to tell us that Carr has thrown the 4th most TDs through 4 seasons in NFL history.  He is only behind Marino, P.  Manning, and Russell Wilson.  

Pretty decent production for a 2nd round pick that was only paid $1.3 mil average his first 3 seasons.  

I'd say that its irrelevant because it has equated to precisely squat in terms of success for the Raiders.  I'd also say that he's never thrown for 4k yards in a season despite averaging nearly 600 passes per year (I know, I know, he's been very close to 4k a couple of times but still).  YPA is one of the very best stats to look at when evaluating QB's and a 6.5 avg is quite simply abysmal.  Carr also has a career rating of 87.5 which is solidly mediocre to be brutally honest.

Now, all that said, I do not agree at all that he is overpaid, mostly for the same reason that I don't consider any of the recent QB's who have signed mega contracts to be "overpaid".  Its just down to the economics of the current NFL where franchise QB's are the absolute highest priority of every single team and if you have one (or can get one) you are going to pay whatever it takes.  Derek Carr may be vastly overrated IMO, but he is clearly a solid franchise QB and the Raiders would've been crazy not to retain him, whatever the cost.

On 8/17/2018 at 11:25 PM, FalconFan13 said:

GTFOH you are delusional on Ryan as being a product of Julio and Shanny.  Ryan has been a top 5 to 10 QB for most of his career with a below avg O-line and defense.  I would give up his skill players all day long for a top tier O-line every year.  If you give Ryan a little time he can make any WR look good.   For god sakes he turned Harry Douglas into a 1000+ yard reciever when the man hasn't touched almost half that in a season anywhere else.

With that said yes he makes a ton of money right now as do most Qb's who all are overpaid outside of maybe Brady and the younger guys.  In 2 or 3 years Ryan probably won't be in the top 5 to 10 of QB contracts.

Atlanta's defense was 9th best in yards given up and 8th best in points per game allowed last season.

But-Thats-None-Of-My-Business.jpg

Archived