2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

3 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Last time the Wide Receiver class was Deep we ended up with Stewart and Hansen

the time before we grabbed Saunders and Evans 

I can’t believe we draft so poorly.

Yes I agree, your point in the reason we are so bad now. How is a team like the Steelers, year after year have a competitive team. Its their drafting, they get stars on offensive, and have built a strong D line. I also believe Macc, drafted so poorly, once he got past the first round. And when you are picking sixth overall two years in a row you better get a top player that is a no brainer. The only real star in this years upcoming FA draft is Bell, and he will want crazy money. And the 2019 draft, we should get at least a top 10 pick at worst, maybe even we could pick around sixth again, then we don't pick again till around somewhere around 70 to 75. So I don't understand how people on this board can get so excited about the upcoming off season. If we get a OBJ type player in the first round then I will be excited. I know the mock drafts will be coming soon, but what is the point of a mock draft when we only have one pick in the first 70 or so picks in the draft. If we still had two second round pick it would be a whole different story

With that said I do appreciate when the guy on this board give a list of the top WR,& ER in the draft, and the pros & cons on each player that is a huge help. 

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

Yes I agree, your point in the reason we are so bad now. How is a team like the Steelers, year after year have a competitive team. Its their drafting, they get stars on offensive, and have built a strong D line. I also believe Macc, drafted so poorly, once he got past the first round. And when you are picking sixth overall two years in a row you better get a top player that is a no brainer. The only real star in this years upcoming FA draft is Bell, and he will want crazy money. And the 2019 draft, we should get at least a top 10 pick at worst, maybe even we could pick around sixth again, then we don't pick again till around somewhere around 70 to 75. So I don't understand how people on this board can get so excited about the upcoming off season. If we get a OBJ type player in the first round then I will be excited. I know the mock drafts will be coming soon, but what is the point of a mock draft when we only have one pick in the first 70 or so picks in the draft. If we still had two second round pick it would be a whole different story

With that said I do appreciate when the guy on this board give a list of the top WR,& ER in the draft, and the pros & cons on each player that is a huge help. 

Well OBJ type guys aren’t in every draft. But I do think Harry has for sure #1 WR talent. The only guy that jumps out at me. For sure there’s other good WRs and I’d gladly take any of them rated in the top 10 or so. It is a deep class, but there’s really only a handful of them I’d say are for sure big upgrades for us and that can potentially be our #1 WR in the coming years.

Bell is an interesting option for us in FA. We have the money to get him. But don’t have much to entice him besides that. Maybe if we upgrade the OL in FA before he signs, that might entice him. But he is a difference maker we need. I think he has a good 3-4 years of football ahead of him as well.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I know they've both been injured... but our 2 leading WRs are Robby with 346yds and Enunwa with 345yds. Through 10 games that is just awful.

Let’s not put it all in the WRs tho, Darnold has been bad at times and the OL and play calling have been suspect as well. 

8 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Let’s not put it all in the WRs tho, Darnold has been bad at times and the OL and play calling have been suspect as well. 

Absolutely its not all on the WRs and like I said they've both missed time so its a vague stat. But regardless at the end of the seasons we wont have any WR probably at 800yds and that's not good. Especially when you consider we are down pretty much every game and throwing it around to bolster WR stats.

12 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Bell is an interesting option for us in FA. We have the money to get him. But don’t have much to entice him besides that. Maybe if we upgrade the OL in FA before he signs, that might entice him. But he is a difference maker we need. I think he has a good 3-4 years of football ahead of him as well.

If Jets successfully upgraded OL, McGuire would work. No reason to pay Bell that much.

Just now, JetsandI said:

If Jets successfully upgraded OL, McGuire would work. No reason to pay Bell that much.

Like I stated though we lack difference makers. McGuire and even Crowell are far form difference makers. They're role players. And that's our problem is we field a team of 53 role players. Not a single player that an opposing team has to game plan for. I'm not saying we NEED Bell. I'm saying he 100% will be an upgrade for us and is a do it all guy, where Crowell cant catch and McGuire struggles between the tackles. We have money to spend and Bell is more than likely going to chase the money. That's really the only way we stand a chance of signing FAs is money chasing, bc we offer little besides that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Like I stated though we lack difference makers. McGuire and even Crowell are far form difference makers. They're role players. And that's our problem is we field a team of 53 role players. Not a single player that an opposing team has to game plan for. I'm not saying we NEED Bell. I'm saying he 100% will be an upgrade for us and is a do it all guy, where Crowell cant catch and McGuire struggles between the tackles. We have money to spend and Bell is more than likely going to chase the money. That's really the only way we stand a chance of signing FAs is money chasing, bc we offer little besides that.

As an individual position, Bell will surely be an upgrade.  Assembling the unit is critical like you said but how will Jets assemble the unit remains disgustingly unknown. 

1. Top OL stay away from Jets. Bell follows.

2. Top OL sign with Jets. Stay with RB committees.

3. Bell follows money.  Jets draft kids for OL tasks.

4. Injuries variably show up

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

As an individual position, Bell will surely be an upgrade.  Assembling the unit is critical like you said but how will Jets assemble the unit remains disgustingly unknown. 

1. Top OL stay away from Jets. Bell follows.

2. Top OL sign with Jets. Stay with RB committees.

3. Bell follows money.  Jets draft kids for OL tasks.

4. Injuries variably show up

Ill say that we do need to upgrade the OL but Winters and Shell should stay. The other 3 should be upgraded from. I think we can grab at least 1 starter in FA (hopefully 2), leaving us with only needing to address 1 in the draft. Center is the easiest to not have to spend a high pick on to grab a good guy (1 of our 3rds should get us a top C in the draft). I'm not at all opposed to going LT in Round 1 like Williams and using a 3rd on a C if we grab a a LG in FA. Problem is... we still have no skill players.

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Yeah I'm with you here. McGuire and Crowell are serviceable. Good for one or two big games, but most of the time pretty mediocre runners. Bell is someone who is a difference make every game he plays. Crow and McGuire might be great on teams that can provide space with the passing game, but we need someone who can create yards from thin air. 

9 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Yeah I'm with you here. McGuire and Crowell are serviceable. Good for one or two big games, but most of the time pretty mediocre runners. Bell is someone who is a difference make every game he plays. Crow and McGuire might be great on teams that can provide space with the passing game, but we need someone who can create yards from thin air. 

Bell had Big Ben so Bell got beneficial for that.  In other words, there is zero evidence that suggests Bell could run 1200k behind Jets' current OL. 

14 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Bell had Big Ben so Bell got beneficial for that.  In other words, there is zero evidence that suggests Bell could run 1200k behind Jets' current OL. 

Bell is special because he finds holes where there were none and can make guys miss while in tight spaces. His abilities and production have little to do with playing with Ben and are more so because he's just that good.

6 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Bell is special because he finds holes where there were none and can make guys miss while in tight spaces. His abilities and production have little to do with playing with Ben and are more so because he's just that good.

He found many holes because Mike Munchak and his men did incredible jobs to create holes.  Think he will have the same luxury for Jets? I laugh.  Hard.

His cut ability is the reason why Bell could run for more yards. Mcguire has it but OL did not create holes frequently and BAM! he is not that good. Ha!