2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Which how good were they after that 1st season? We had no long term WR. But if I was GM I would have drafted Beasley that year. 

And that's how you draft the lesser player because you reached for need.

You also pounded the table for Elflien because of need who turned out to be one of the worst centers in the league.  He wouldn't start over Harrison on this team and we are desperate for a C.

You need to stick to BPA just as you need to go get the guy you love (i.e Tunsil or Kamara).  If you know the guy is going to be great don't wait go get them.  Mac thought Leo was going to be great and picked him over the player of need Beasley which turned out to be the right choice.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

So if Niners go Q, would you guys choose Allen? Allen is absolutely perfect for a 3-4 where as Bosa is perfect for a 4-3. I do think Bosa is the better player though.

I actually think Allen is better.  My board is Quinnen, Allen, Bosa

Edited by Rockice_8
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

And that's how you draft the lesser player because you reached for need.

You also pounded the table for Elflien because of need who turned out to be one of the worst centers in the league.  He wouldn't start over Harrison on this team and we are desperate for a C.

You need to stick to BPA just as you need to go get the guy you love (i.e Tunsil or Kamara).  If you know the guy is going to be great don't wait go get them.  Mac thought Leo was going to be great and picked him over the player of need Beasley which turned out to be the right choice.

Elflein fell off a cliff this season after his injury, but he was solid his rookie year. He still would've been a better choice than trading back.

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

That’s fine by me!

Doesn't mean our GM agrees with me though.  It's really close.  I think Bosa is a bit safer with Allen if he ever reaches his potential could be a little better.  However he may not and could end up not being as good as Bosa.  I would take the risk though because the ceiling is Mack/Von for Allen.  Bosa seems like a slightly lesser version of his brother which is still a 10+ sack guy but Allen could be that 15+ guy if he puts it all together.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Elflein fell off a cliff this season after his injury, but he was solid his rookie year. He still would've been a better choice than trading back.

Since he entered the league he has given up more pressures than almost every other C.  Solid rookie season maybe but the guy clearly isn't a good player and we'd all likely be begging for Mac to upgrade.  Just because the trade down didn't work doesn't really mean drafting Elflien was any better.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I’m not talking about coverage. I’m saying Bosa can play in both a 3-4 and a 4-3.

Can he do it as well as Allen though? If Gregg Williams is gonna ask his edge to cover, then I can't rank Bosa above Allen. I don't think you can simply ignore coverage, it's something our edge could potentially be asked to do. And it's also something we'd be smart to build our defense around, it's a unique skill that he has that his peers don't.

Edited by jetjuice

25 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

There’s no reason why Allen can’t as well. 

When we talk about Allen in a 4-3 guys like him as a Sam. I think he can put his hand in the dirt. 

I’m just saying that they’re both able to play in both defenses. I don’t think we should put them or ourselves in a box.

45 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Can he do it as well as Allen though? If Gregg Williams is gonna ask his edge to cover, then I can't rank Bosa above Allen. I don't think you can simply ignore coverage, it's something our edge could potentially be asked to do. And it's also something we'd be smart to build our defense around, it's a unique skill that he has that his peers don't.

I can ignore Coverage with Bosa, he’s a pass rusher first, dropping him into coverage is something we shouldn’t be concerned with. Can he cover a flat or hook on occasion? Maybe but him attacking off the snap either standing up or with his hand in the dirt is going to be deadly either way.