2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

8 hours ago, Rich51 said:

But who would have thought that in the 2015 draft 2nd to 4th rounders,  Hunter, Clark, Flowers and  Preston Smith would be better players than 1st rounders Fowler, Beasley and Dupree. Or the next year 3rd round pick Ngakoue would have more sacks than 1st rounders Floyd and Lawson combined.  It’s a crap shoot and I don’t mind increasing our odds by trading down

You trust Macc is those mid rounds? 

So i just watched 4 games of tape on Rashan Gary.  I had watched some of him here and there but i hadn't sat down and actually watched tape.  I gotta say.... I came away even less impressed than i thought i would be, and i had very low expectations.  For a guy who is even mentioned in the top 10 conversation, you expect the guy to jump off the screen and be noticeable.  If a guy is mentioned in the 1st round you at least expect him to make slightly more contributions to the game than the guys around him.  He may as well have been wearing camouflage because it seemed like his best quality was blending in.  

The only time i saw him make plays he either was completely unblocked, OR the play was run right at him.  Honestly most of the time he was unblocked AND someone ran right at him.  He has almost no moves other than just attempting to bull rush.... no rip moves, no swims, no bend to speak of... just run at the guy.... fail at it, and then hope someone runs at him.  

There were times where he was unblocked and the play was run away from him, he did hustle and chase down the play, but i didn't see that 4.59 speed closing any gaps quicker or more suddenly than any of the other defenders on the field. 

Lastly he is almost always the last guy off the line.  For such a freak athlete i don't know why this would be.  If we traded back even into the late late first round and took him I'd be extremely displeased.    

1 hour ago, rampantjet said:

So i just watched 4 games of tape on Rashan Gary.  I had watched some of him here and there but i hadn't sat down and actually watched tape.  I gotta say.... I came away even less impressed than i thought i would be, and i had very low expectations.  For a guy who is even mentioned in the top 10 conversation, you expect the guy to jump off the screen and be noticeable.  If a guy is mentioned in the 1st round you at least expect him to make slightly more contributions to the game than the guys around him.  He may as well have been wearing camouflage because it seemed like his best quality was blending in.  

The only time i saw him make plays he either was completely unblocked, OR the play was run right at him.  Honestly most of the time he was unblocked AND someone ran right at him.  He has almost no moves other than just attempting to bull rush.... no rip moves, no swims, no bend to speak of... just run at the guy.... fail at it, and then hope someone runs at him.  

There were times where he was unblocked and the play was run away from him, he did hustle and chase down the play, but i didn't see that 4.59 speed closing any gaps quicker or more suddenly than any of the other defenders on the field. 

Lastly he is almost always the last guy off the line.  For such a freak athlete i don't know why this would be.  If we traded back even into the late late first round and took him I'd be extremely displeased.    

An even bigger reason to avoid Gary,  Casserly has a huge man crush on him. 

23 hours ago, rampantjet said:

For those overly concerned with DK's agility numbers he improved them at his pro day.  He went from a 7.38 to a 7.25 in the 3 cone, and from a 4.5 to a 4.3 in the shuttle which is a big improvement 

Still not great, but better. 

My comp is still Josh Gordon/Demaryius Thomas. He's not a guy who will win with lateral quickness; he wins on explosion, speed, and strength. The problem with him is the risk factor; he has a high bust rate and is not worthy of a top 10 pick IMO. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

My comp is still Josh Gordon/Demaryius Thomas. He's not a guy who will win with lateral quickness; he wins on explosion, speed, and strength. The problem with him is the risk factor; he has a high bust rate and is not worthy of a top 10 pick IMO. 

I agree. He can be successful if teams use his strengths. I can see him as being a 60 reception 900-1000 yard guy but the type that can be shut down by playoff type defenses.  I also think he needs to start taking yoga or some other stretching routine or he’ ll Be plagued by injuries due to his muscularity 

9 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

I agree. Gordon’s the best comp I have for him. 

6 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

I agree. Gordon’s the best comp I have for him. 

Well... Gordon without weed is a nice thing to have.  Also lets look at the sheer athleticism, DK is quite a bit more athletic than Gordon.  At Gordon's pro day they were roughly the same size, but Gordon ran a 4.52 with a 36 inch vert.... vs a 4.33 and a 40.5 inch vert.  13 reps on the bench vs 28 reps.  10'1 broad vs 11'2, and look how Gordon terrorized the NFL in the rare time that he was allowed on the field.  

1 hour ago, rampantjet said:

Well... Gordon without weed is a nice thing to have.  Also lets look at the sheer athleticism, DK is quite a bit more athletic than Gordon.  At Gordon's pro day they were roughly the same size, but Gordon ran a 4.52 with a 36 inch vert.... vs a 4.33 and a 40.5 inch vert.  13 reps on the bench vs 28 reps.  10'1 broad vs 11'2, and look how Gordon terrorized the NFL in the rare time that he was allowed on the field.  

Right, but Gordon was a one-trick pony. He used to win on deep routes. Didn’t work well in short and medium routes. Route running never developed. Worried that could be the same with DK. 

Ed Oliver ran 4.73 at 281.  Imagine if you ask him to shred some weight to play rushing OLB.

Daniel Jones still has a shot to be taken in top 15?  umm..  Jets could potentially trade down twice in 1st. lol.

Edited by JetsandI