2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Not not at all. Bc we need an edge. We don’t need a 3-4 DE. So to ignore great talents at a need for a luxury. The guy better be so incredible it’s ridiculous.

IMO it’s the people saying Q should be drafted in essence saying that if the BPA this year was a S... that he should be the pick just bc he’s BPA. It’s just so far from a need.

Not at all, Jamal/Maye aren’t on the last year of their rookie deal and may not be resigned

3 hours ago, SDotNova said:

I can see the fear about Burns.  But he looks more complete than those guys. He’s so explosive off the snap that he disrupts the running game by always being in the back field.  Plus he’s more than just a speed rusher. He has a handful of pass rush moves. Probably only Bosa is more developed as a pass rusher in this class.

Von Miller plays at 250. So as long as Burns can be around that weight, he should be alright.

Burns plays around 220/230. I don’t think he can maintain 240 let alone 250

1 hour ago, KBS756 said:

If Allen or Bosa are there when we pick we have to take one of them ... 

cant pass on an elite pass rushing prospect when we don’t have one 

On the surface you’re correct. However we can’t just not consider QWill. 

This is the mistake the 49ers are making. They’re too locked in on Bosa when QWill makes too much sense for the team especially after adding Ford at LEO. 

I still think we end up with the good Josh Allen.

I do not think too many of us suggest taking Q Will over Allen/Bosa. But we need talent on this team or as Jamal states “dogs”. Picking a lesser talent over Williams just to fill a much needed position is NOT how you build a good team. The talent difference between the top two EL and the remaining 3 or 4 may not be stratospheric but those 3 or 4 have more warts (Gary - bust potential), (Burns - weight), (Sweat - hard to find much other than slightly lower ceiling) etc.  

7 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Bobby is one of the guys that sold me on QWill and now he doesn’t want him lol

I think he has great talent no question. But he is far from a need. Leo will get resigned. So I don’t buy the whole guy on last year of his deal thing. We just gave Anderson a good contract as well. DE is quite possible the strongest position on our team. So to use the 3rd pick in the draft on a guy that will make 1 of the 3 of them play out of position or on the bench, just makes zero sense to me. I was all for Q before resigning Anderson. The second we resigned Anderson, he lowered a ton on my list. I’d rather see us take the 3rd best edge or a OT than draft Q if Allen and Bosa were gone (still see 0% chance of that happening).

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think he has great talent no question. But he is far from a need. Leo will get resigned. So I don’t buy the whole guy on last year of his deal thing. We just gave Anderson a good contract as well. DE is quite possible the strongest position on our team. So to use the 3rd pick in the draft on a guy that will make 1 of the 3 of them play out of position or on the bench, just makes zero sense to me. I was all for Q before resigning Anderson. The second we resigned Anderson, he lowered a ton on my list. I’d rather see us take the 3rd best edge or a OT than draft Q if Allen and Bosa were gone (still see 0% chance of that happening).

Anderson is cuttable after this year. Leo is far from a guarantee. 

I get your point about need but letting Henry Anderson stop you from drafting QWill is franchise malpractice.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Anderson is cuttable after this year. Leo is far from a guarantee. 

I get your point about need but letting Henry Anderson stop you from drafting QWill is franchise malpractice.

I’d agree if we were drafting 25th or something like that. But at 3 we have the chance to draft a player that has great talent AND at need in other areas. We more so than any team should know not to draft BPA if it’s in Round 1 when you already have great players in that spot. Add that it’s the same position... is just icing on the cake.

45 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’d agree if we were drafting 25th or something like that. But at 3 we have the chance to draft a player that has great talent AND at need in other areas. We more so than any team should know not to draft BPA if it’s in Round 1 when you already have great players in that spot. Add that it’s the same position... is just icing on the cake.

But you were willing to consider him prior to Henry Anderson re-signing.

But again I do think EDGE makes the most sense even though he’s a better prospect than Allen/Bosa.

Edited by KingOfTheDot

4 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

But you were willing to consider him prior to Henry Anderson re-signing.

But again I do think EDGE makes the most sense even though he’s a better prospect than Allen/Bosa.

For this team and to build a team... I see the team being better with the 3rd best edge or best OT in the draft then Q, is my point.

8 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Bobby is one of the guys that sold me on QWill and now he doesn’t want him lol

Love him. If all things were equal as far as our needs, I'd say go Q. But they aren't IMO so I say go Allen.

If Bosa and Allen are taken by 3rd then I don't mind overdrafting Burns or Ferrell.  Not many teams willingly pay DL or interior DL as much as Edge. In that case, if Williams becomes too expensive to keep Jets could let him walk and his pick would be wasted like Mohammad Wilkerson who crashed hard after broken leg and/or Leonard Williams who turned a lot of people as a sack artist despite of solid number of qb pressures. 

Quinnen Williams isn't going to be a monstrous sack artist but he will dangerously break the line. That is not exactly attractive to short term fans like us.

Surely, it goes the same story with Edge but why do Jets have to overcrowd DL when they could have upgraded at Edge.  Try an Edge in 1st for change.

Also, if the owner is in completely charge of draft strategy then I can see him go after top BPA no matter what position (outside qb) but Mike Maccagnan is the boss for draft and he is on the borrowed time as GM for Jets.  MM needs to fix/upgrade the holes to save his job.  Edge over DT all the way.