2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

2 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I have never seen Peake & Roberts ever do anything they are special teams players at best.

I just hope Darnold has balls to make all throws.   Good or Bad, it doesn't matter as long as he does not hold football in front of Mack and his company.

5 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I have never seen Peake & Roberts ever do anything they are special teams players at best.

Agree. But I think there are part of the reason why our special teams has gotten so much better. They had a down game last game, but our special teams has been a bright spot this year. 

Another area where the Jets took one step forward and one step back. Darron Lee has been a revelation this year and is playing like the player we expected. But Leo has been just a good a player. We really needed him to step up and become a difference maker. It doesn't look like he is going to be more than just a good player. 

44 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Crowell definitely isn't an above average player.  He isn't a feature RB at all.  He fits in RB committee only.  That is a logical explanation why Bobby is whining.

What RB's are better than Crowell? There are only 6 or so feature RB's in the league (Gurley, Elliot, Hunt, Bell, Kamara and Barkley). Outside of that group, what RB's would you put above Crowell?

Edit: I don't think David Johnson is a feature back but I'd also put him above Crowell. Not sure how Crowell is not a 10-15 rank RB in this league. 

Just looked up some stats: Total Yards (7), Yards per Attempt (5), TDs (5), Running Back DVOA (14). Traditional stats suggest he is above average. And Football Outsiders have him just above the mid point. I don't think it's a stretch to say he has played above average. And some of these numbers probably took a hit last game with him playing with a bad ankle. 

Edited by SDotNova

7 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

What RB's are better than Crowell? There are only 6 or so feature RB's in the league (Gurley, Elliot, Hunt, Bell, Kamara and Barkley). Outside of that group, what RB's would you put above Crowell?

Edit: I don't think David Johnson is a feature back but I'd also put him above Crowell. Not sure how Crowell is not a 10-15 rank RB in this league. 

eh.. Statistically, you probably are right but I don't call any RB from committee as above average player.  Above average grade should be something you count on for a majority of the season as RB committee tentatively uses hot and cold method.  Crowell has two monstrous games and the rest of them are pffttt. That is 2 out of last 7 games.

58 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Crowell is an above average running back and the Jets have run the ball well most games this year. I don’t expect Powell back, so we may need some depth. Let’s see what Cannon, McGuire and Henderson have. The incremental improvement of getting someone better than Crowell may not be worth the investment.

I’m more talking about a receiving back. The NFL is a passing league. A receiving back is very valuable. Crowell doesn’t offer that. Look back... I wanted us to draft Crowell, wanted us to sign him as a FA and was very excited when we did sign him. I far from dislike Crowell. I’m actually a big fan. But I also know he’s not a receiving back, which is ok. But we need to recognize that this is a need. And a need that shouldn’t just be addressed in Rounds 6 and 7. We have no choice now with Powell injured but to roll with McGuire and Cannon for that role. And we will see what they offer. I absolutely hope 1 of them prove me wrong and answer that role for us. But if I had to bet... I think they don’t answer that role. I don’t think RB is a 1st round need for us, but I’d love to see us attack a receiving back in Round 3. Ideally for me we go WR Round 1, and C and RB Round 3. I think we can get an Edge in FA and possibly even a LT.

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m more talking about a receiving back. The NFL is a passing league. A receiving back is very valuable. Crowell doesn’t offer that. Look back... I wanted us to draft Crowell, wanted us to sign him as a FA and was very excited when we did sign him. I far from dislike Crowell. I’m actually a big fan. But I also know he’s not a receiving back, which is ok. But we need to recognize that this is a need. And a need that shouldn’t just be addressed in Rounds 6 and 7. We have no choice now with Powell injured but to roll with McGuire and Cannon for that role. And we will see what they offer. I absolutely hope 1 of them prove me wrong and answer that role for us. But if I had to bet... I think they don’t answer that role. I don’t think RB is a 1st round need for us, but I’d love to see us attack a receiving back in Round 3. Ideally for me we go WR Round 1, and C and RB Round 3. I think we can get an Edge in FA and possibly even a LT.

Since McGuire is similar to Bell, there should be no problem with his receiving skill but it is offense plan you should cry about.  Bad OL needs extra help, 5 wideouts, etc.

Edited by JetsandI

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

That's true. Crowell is ok as a receiver, but not a difference maker in that respect. Curious to see McGuire and Cannon the rest of the year. But I think it's reasonable to hope the Jets invest a 3rd or a 4th on that type of back. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

eh.. Statistically, you probably are right but I don't call any RB from committee as above average player.  Above average grade should be something you count on for a majority of the season as RB committee tentatively uses hot and cold method.  Crowell has two monstrous games and the rest of them are pffttt. That is 2 out of last 7 games.

That's true. He is not a featured RB. 

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Since McGuire is similar to Bell, there should be no problem with his receiving skill but it is offense plan you should cry about.  Bad OL needs extra help, 5 wideouts, etc.

McGuire is similar to Le’Veon Bell?!?!

Please tell me that was a joke.......

Bell has been battle-tested and loaded in NFL experience. That's it.  The rest of skill set isn't vastly different.  With utilized properly, McGuire could give Jets a 1200-1500 yard scrimmage annually.  Bell is higher than that because he is with one of most competent offensive teams.  Thinking Bell will continue the same product as Steelers' career for Jets is dreamily far-fetched.

57 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Bell has been battle-tested and loaded in NFL experience. That's it.  The rest of skill set isn't vastly different.  With utilized properly, McGuire could give Jets a 1200-1500 yard scrimmage annually.  Bell is higher than that because he is with one of most competent offensive teams.  Thinking Bell will continue the same product as Steelers' career for Jets is dreamily far-fetched.

I don’t know where to start with how much I disagree with this. So I’ll just leave it as is........

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

Such a random thing to pull out of one's ***