2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

5 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Might change my tune after today. In general, I don't want the Jets to build a great D, I just want a D that is solid. And I think this D with Barr is solid. I'm not expecting Barr to be all world. I think he will be our new Calvin Pace. And to me that's good enough for the D. 

Put all our resources on offense. A good coach will get more out of this offense but it is still lacking big time. We need to revamp the OL and we need a couple more weapons. I don't expect it to be done in 1 offseason, but we need to get as much as possible soon. 

I thought Jenkins is our Thomas/Pace type, no?  Anyway, we need HC that garners a lot of attention from FA and I don't mean better than nothing crap to just fill out salary cap. I want Jets entering Draft thinking about prospects for depth at first.

Edited by JetsandI

15 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Might change my tune after today. In general, I don't want the Jets to build a great D, I just want a D that is solid. And I think this D with Barr is solid. I'm not expecting Barr to be all world. I think he will be our new Calvin Pace. And to me that's good enough for the D. 

Put all our resources on offense. A good coach will get more out of this offense but it is still lacking big time. We need to revamp the OL and we need a couple more weapons. I don't expect it to be done in 1 offseason, but we need to get as much as possible soon. 

Pats have won for years with a poor defense. KCs defense is bad. NO defense is bad. You need offense to win in this league. We have non of it.

• Like 1

Although Justin Herbert could return back to Oregon next year Giants' brass and evaluator went to watch Oregon vs Utah game.  If he comes out then we may need Dwayne Haskins to come out for NFL.  Tanking for top pick so Jets can net good values in trading down.  I know it is just one year under his belt but he has been anti-Ubran Meyer qb.

What do you think of Jackson Barton, LT of Utah Utes?

33 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Although Justin Herbert could return back to Oregon next year Giants' brass and evaluator went to watch Oregon vs Utah game.  If he comes out then we may need Dwayne Haskins to come out for NFL.  Tanking for top pick so Jets can net good values in trading down.  I know it is just one year under his belt but he has been anti-Ubran Meyer qb.

What do you think of Jackson Barton, LT of Utah Utes?

He’s pretty far down on my OT rankings 

2 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

4th round a possibility?

Around that area. For the Jets I think we need to go WR Round 1. Odds are we don’t let Beachum go. So we can’t afford to draft a guy top 10 and not play them. Where a WR could be our #1 WR right away (that’s how bad our WRs are). So if we want to target a LT (which I’m all for) Round 3 or 4 on a guy that we can develop might be a good spot. A RB needs to be drafted with 1 of our 3rd Rounders IMO too.

28 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Here’s a way too early into how I think we should draft.

1. N’Keil Harry (WR/Arizona State)

3. Myles Gaskins (RB/Washington)

3. (From NO) Bobby Evans (OT/Oklahoma)

4. Jesse Burkett (C/Stanford)

That is one of many doable mock drafts. 

I just looked up the rest of the Jets schedule for the rest of this season, and it is brutal. The chances of us being 5-11 again are bad, we play the Pats twice, Green Bay, Texans, Titans, and one more game with the Bills. This season was supposed to be about progress and not wins or losses, and it is ending up neither. At the beginning of the season I really believed we would win seven games, boy was I off base. After 54 years of being a Jet fan you would think I should know better and not be so optimistic about the Jets.

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

I just looked up the rest of the Jets schedule for the rest of this season, and it is brutal. The chances of us being 5-11 again are bad, we play the Pats twice, Green Bay, Texans, Titans, and one more game with the Bills. This season was supposed to be about progress and not wins or losses, and it is ending up neither. At the beginning of the season I really believed we would win seven games, boy was I off base. After 54 years of being a Jet fan you would think I should know better and not be so optimistic about the Jets.

Yeah... Very Very terrible season.  Lions and Broncos blowouts won't soften it up at all.

12 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

This is a nice draft. I think you are right, the Jets can't afford to draft a LT early and let him develop behind Beachum. We need to get guys who can provide immediate impact. Harry in the first is solid.

Do you think he is worth a top 5 pick though? It'll probably come down to his combine numbers. But if we are drafting 3-6, I would like the Jets to trade back to the 8-15 range and grab a WR in that slot. In theory, if the Jets draft 5th, we can drop back to 10th and pick up a 2nd round pick. We will then have 3 day 2 picks to grab a RB and 2 OL players. Our early 4th is essentially another day 2 pick. So, that could be a decent player as well. 

12 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I like the RB free agent class this year so I would rather use the Gaskin Pick on Winters’ future replacement instead but other wise I like this a lot 

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

This is a nice draft. I think you are right, the Jets can't afford to draft a LT early and let him develop behind Beachum. We need to get guys who can provide immediate impact. Harry in the first is solid.

Do you think he is worth a top 5 pick though? It'll probably come down to his combine numbers. But if we are drafting 3-6, I would like the Jets to trade back to the 8-15 range and grab a WR in that slot. In theory, if the Jets draft 5th, we can drop back to 10th and pick up a 2nd round pick. We will then have 3 day 2 picks to grab a RB and 2 OL players. Our early 4th is essentially another day 2 pick. So, that could be a decent player as well. 

No there are no WR's in this draft worth a top 5 pick.  Metcalf or Harry are top 10 ish type guys at best.  Metcalf might be the closest thing to a freak but his injury hurts him.  Harry doesn't have the elite speed to put him in the Megatron/Julio class which is what top 5 is reserved for.

If we end up at 4 or 5 my board is 

1. Bosa (unlikely he isn't #1 or #2 though)
2. Williams (looks the part of the best LT in the draft and future anchor)
3. Little (more of a long term outlook with him because he's not as technically sound as Williams but his feet and hands are special for a LT)
4. Allen (If not for Bosa he'd be the best rusher in this class)

That's 4 players who we could 100% use and all look like future elite players at their positions.

As for FA I was never a big fan of paying Bell but at this point I would open the check book for him.  As a team desperate for offense talent he is the best one.  Coming off what looks to be a season with no touches I feel much better then paying him coming off a 400 touch season.

The rest of FA for me is simple.  Give Spain whatever he wants and pay the best pass rusher (preferably Clowney or Lawrence if they hit FA).  If we can steal Mitch Morse from KC I'd be pumped about that as well.

OL is now: Williams, Spain, Morse, Winters, Shell.  Weapons are now Bell, Enunwa, Anderson, Herndon, and a quality mid round WR like Harmon from NC State (good size, route runner and excellent hands perfect Z WR for this offense).

96M
Bell - 16M
Spain - 15M
Clowney - 22M
Morse - 12M

about 30M left for draft and resigning Mo ($8M), Anderson ($6M), and Q ($8M) plus roster depth.  Time to open the check book.  Yes they are all highest paid at their positions except Clowney.

Edited by Rockice_8