2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

I’d like us to use our 1st on a OT or WR if Nick Bosa isn’t there, he’s honestly the only defensive player I’d push for at this point. Ideally I’d either go

R1: Bosa/OT/WR

R3: OL/WR/OL

R3:WR/RB/RB

R4: RB/OL/OL

R5: CB/ILB

R7: K

If Bosa wasn’t there I wouldn’t take a pass rusher and just sign one in the offseason, like QBs you rarely find impact pass rushers outside the first 2 rounds and it’s really just not worth the pick.

Edited by Dr.O

2 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

I’d like us to use our 1st on a OT or WR if Nick Bosa isn’t there, he’s honestly the only defensive player I’d push for at this point. Ideally I’d either go

R1: Bosa/OT/WR

R3: OL/WR/OL

R3:WR/RB/RB

R4: RB/OL/OL

R5: CB/ILB

R7: K

If Bosa wasn’t there I wouldn’t take a pass rusher and just sign one in the offseason, like QBs you rarely find impact pass rushers outside the first 2 rounds and it’s really just not worth the pick.

We should address Edge in FA with several options out there. I hope we address 2 of the 4 holes we have on the OL as well. I need to see who’s available at C, OG and OT. Ideally for me in the draft we trade back and get a 2nd. Still grab a OT in Round 1 and then go WR, C, G and RB with the next few picks in some sort of order.

8 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Also, it depends on how good these OT's really are. Don't want to force a pick and end up with Erik Flowers when we could have had a Khalil Mack. I'm almost 100% on selecting a LT in round one, but the talent has to be there. 

So far, Greg Little (3 years) and Jonah Williams(2 years) offer top 5 talents. The rest of LT class is meh.  WSU and WVA LTs offer solid pass protection but not much of run blocking.. 

Williams struggled at LT after moving from RT last year. Little has been gradually improving yearly but he still plays inconsistently as far as skill set is concerned.  If both are confirmed as top 5 material, Jets should go after either one. Otherwise, forget it.  Like you said we need to get blown up draft information before we start to pound the table for a certain LT prospect.

Maybe we should start to look at C and G prospects as well.  Spencer Long's 3m bonus kicks in on 3rd day after Super Bowl if he stays with Jets. South Carolina, LSU and Alabama are a good start.

Hey, Wesley Johnson just found a job. lol.

7 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

So far, Greg Little (3 years) and Jonah Williams(2 years) offer top 5 talents. The rest of LT class is meh.  WSU and WVA LTs offer solid pass protection but not much of run blocking.. 

Williams struggled at LT after moving from RT last year. Little has been gradually improving yearly but he still plays inconsistently as far as skill set is concerned.  If both are confirmed as top 5 material, Jets should go after either one. Otherwise, forget it.  Like you said we need to get blown up draft information before we start to pound the table for a certain LT prospect.

Maybe we should start to look at C and G prospects as well.  Spencer Long's 3m bonus kicks in on 3rd day after Super Bowl if he stays with Jets. South Carolina, LSU and Alabama are a good start.

Hey, Wesley Johnson just found a job. lol.

lol at WJ 

You're right, we should consider the OG's & Centers as well just in case. The Badgers have a couple of Oline players people are talking about. I think the defense will be great once when we get a pass rusher & a playcaller. On offense, it's all about the oline for me. 

15 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

lol Trey Adams looks so weird.

This weekend, I'll watch the top OT's play.  It's hard for me to imagine us doing anything else with our first pick because of this upcoming FA class. 

Yup. The OT class doesn’t seem as deep as it did before the season started. Mainly because of the injury to Adams. But the good news is that Greg Little and Jonah Williams are playing at a high level. Both seem to be grading well. But at least there seems to be two top 15 OT talents. We just need one to really start moving this OLine in ththe right direction.

13 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Also, it depends on how good these OT's really are. Don't want to force a pick and end up with Erik Flowers when we could have had a Khalil Mack. I'm almost 100% on selecting a LT in round one, but the talent has to be there. 

So far this year, both have only giving up two QB hurries. Still along way to go, but it does seem like both these tackles are going to be worthy of top 15 picks. Even if we pick at our favorite spot 6, I’d still take one of them even if it is a slight reach. Need has to be at the forefront. As long as these guys are first round talents, you have to take them.

I'm going to hold out to see what we do in FA, but so far I'm leaning O-Line.

I think we can solve our pass rushing woes by converting to 4-3, making Lee and WLB, and either picking up a true ILB like CJ Mosely or drafting one in the later rounds. But man, adding Nick Bosa to the same 4-3 scheme would be killer.

OT class looks pretty weak to be honest.  So long to go but pass rusher looks to be an elite class.  I think that may be our smartest move.

Fire everyone hire best GM, switch to 4-3 and hire innovative OC

Sign LG (Marpet, Mason, etc)
Sign DE pass rusher (Clowney, Fowler, Flowers)
Sign Joyner to play centerfield as the FS, move Maye to SS
Sign Coleman at RB
Draft top DE in round 1 (Bosa)
Use NO 3rd on best C (Biadasz from Wisconsin?, he's a stud run blocker)
Grab speedy WR like Parris Campbell from OSU
LB core is now Adams (WILL), Williamson (MIKE), Lee (SAM)
DL is Fowler, Shep, WIlliams, Bosa
OL: Beachum, Mason, Biadasz Winters, Shell

Resign the important players like Mo, Enunwa, Robby, Kearse etc.

Still have issues at LT and stud WR but the D improves greatly with that pass rush, Lee and Adams and so does the run game with Mason and Biadasz who are great run blockers for Coleman. 

Something like that would be great step in the right direction and somewhat realistic without signing every big name FA.

1 hour ago, NJerseypaint said:

I'm going to hold out to see what we do in FA, but so far I'm leaning O-Line.

I think we can solve our pass rushing woes by converting to 4-3, making Lee and WLB, and either picking up a true ILB like CJ Mosely or drafting one in the later rounds. But man, adding Nick Bosa to the same 4-3 scheme would be killer.

I feel like Jets fans have been asking to move to a traditional 4-3 forever now. It hurts my head that we still run varied fronts. Similar to what @Rockice_8 posted above, I would just invest in making a really good 4-2-5. It will help Lee and Leo. Even Shepherd could be really good in that scheme. He’s really strong and can probably play next to Leo. We can have Anderson and Foley rotating in. It’s always made sense. We would have a really fast front that can also be strong against the run. Just need to add an edge player like Fowler and we are pretty solid. Copeland and Jenkins can play the other side.