Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dr.O

2019 prospects and outlook

Recommended Posts

Best bet is to trade back. There’s several LTs that are worthy of 1st round picks. Grab a 2nd hopefully or even an 3rd and use those 3rds to get into Round 2. Grab a playmaker in Round 2 at RB or WR and then use those 3rd on G and C. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

lol It's so hard for me to want the 4-3 defense because I love the 3-4 when it's done correctly, but I wouldn't be mad if we switched. 

Same I've always loved the idea of the 3-4 but looking at the NFL today I like the 4-2-5 best.  We invested in guys like Shepard, Williams, Lee who all fit better in the 4-3 anyway.  Let those two athletic DT's penetrate rather then eat up space in the 3-4 DE role because we don't have the LB's to make plays at this point.  If we just add a DE in FA and one of the many stud DE's in the draft we should be taking steps in the right direction defensively.

4-2-5 nickel Adams plays the hybrid SS/WILL, Maye stays at FS, Williamson (Mike) and Lee (SAM)

Fowler, Williams, Shepard, Bosa on the DL would be insane

CB: Mo, Tru, Nickerson

I would play a ton of cover 1 with Maye in CF and stop with the zone coverages and let the CB's man up.  I think allowing Lee and Adams to play in space and use their speed will be a big help for Lee especially who obviously struggles taking on lead blockers in the 3-4.  Just that DL alone would be a wrecking crew with those 4 collapsing the pocket.

1 big DE FA signing and using the top 5 pick on a DE (there are like 3-4 great DE prospects to choose from) would transform this defense.

After that I would go all in on the OL in FA and try for Lewan/Matthews (LT, unlikely) and one of Mason/Marpet/Spain (LG, can probably land one) and use those two 3rds on a C and maybe a skill position player WR/RB and go from there.  Probably not going to fix everything in one season but it's a start.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Best bet is to trade back. There’s several LTs that are worthy of 1st round picks. Grab a 2nd hopefully or even an 3rd and use those 3rds to get into Round 2. Grab a playmaker in Round 2 at RB or WR and then use those 3rd on G and C. 

Are there really though?  The best in the class is a major injury risk who has a ton of injuries and just had back surgery.  Little and Williams look solid but top 5 not sure yet.  If a stud pass rusher is there and this looks to be one of those special classes I'd stay pat and take one.  I can live with Beechum for another year if we upgrade LG and C around him.  If Little or Williams solidfy themselves and top LT's worthy of a top 5 pick then by all means take them.  I think trading back for a LT is bad idea though.  If a LT slides to the mid rounds there is a reason.  Take the elite talent top 5 and move on would be my approach.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Are there really though?  The best in the class is a major injury risk who has a ton of injuries and just had back surgery.  Little and Williams look solid but top 5 not sure yet.  If a stud pass rusher is there and this looks to be one of those special classes I'd stay pat and take one.  I can live with Beechum for another year if we upgrade LG and C around him.  If Little or Williams solidfy themselves and top LT's worthy of a top 5 pick then by all means take them.  I think trading back for a LT is bad idea though.  If a LT slides to the mid rounds there is a reason.  Take the elite talent top 5 and move on would be my approach.  

Actually LTs aren’t as valuable as they once were. So I absolutely can see a good LT available if we trade back. I view Williams and Little worthy of a top 10-15 draft pick. And if Adams can show he’s healthy come draft day then he’s right there as well. I’m not saying this is my only plan and I’m sticking to it. Bc I actually really like several of the Wisconsin lineman. And they’re more 2nd round type guys. My point is we have several holes. Yes edge is one of them. But there’s embarks really good edge guys in FA that I think we can get. So edge I don’t think will be a glaring need come draft day. Where OLine will be. Bc I highly doubt we grab 4 OL starters in FA. Trading back grabs us additional picks maybe and we have several holes. We need to address skill positions as well early in the draft. Mainly RB and WR. So all these things need to be addressed. It won’t happen in 1 offseason. But we should be able to gills everal of them with 125mill and draft picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Actually LTs aren’t as valuable as they once were. So I absolutely can see a good LT available if we trade back. I view Williams and Little worthy of a top 10-15 draft pick. And if Adams can show he’s healthy come draft day then he’s right there as well. I’m not saying this is my only plan and I’m sticking to it. Bc I actually really like several of the Wisconsin lineman. And they’re more 2nd round type guys. My point is we have several holes. Yes edge is one of them. But there’s embarks really good edge guys in FA that I think we can get. So edge I don’t think will be a glaring need come draft day. Where OLine will be. Bc I highly doubt we grab 4 OL starters in FA. Trading back grabs us additional picks maybe and we have several holes. We need to address skill positions as well early in the draft. Mainly RB and WR. So all these things need to be addressed. It won’t happen in 1 offseason. But we should be able to gills everal of them with 125mill and draft picks.

Not many of these guys are hitting FA though.  Yes the list looks stacked but almost everyone has plenty of cap to resign their own players.  Who realistically hits FA? Barr and Fowler for sure, Flowers maybe. Clark, Clowney, Lawrence all unlikely.

My wish list is Clark, Clowney, Lawrence, Flowers, Barr and Fowler.  We may only have a shot at Barr and Fowler, maybe Flowers but so will a dozen other teams.  

This draft has 4 stud pass rushers.  Not really a fan of passing on one to trade back for a solid LT while passing on a possible stud.  If we land in the top 10 and Bosa, Ferrell, Sweat, Gary all seem like top 10 locks and future 10 sack guys.  I haven't ruled out going Little as an option but he hasn't secured a top 10 spot yet.  This year with this crop for pass rushers trading down is not an option for me.

Ideally for me is we land Fowler, draft one of the stud rushers to pair with him, sign a LG (I like Shaq Mason plus it hurts NE) and trade up with our 3rd rounder to secure one of the top 2 centers (Jenkins/Biadasz) in the late 2nd.  If we did nothing else in the offseason I'd be thrilled, anything else is gravy.  Obviously resign our own important FA's as well.  Just by doing that you revamp the OL outside of LT and go from zero pass rush to dangerous pass rush.  Sure you still need a LT of the future and to upgrade the skill positions but it's great start.

14M for Mason
12-16M for Fowler (not sure what he'll get)
5M for the draft
Resign our FA's and you are probably sitting around 40-45M still and have flexibility.  

At that point then you have the ability to get creative and maybe throw big money at Bell and see if he'll come for 17M a year for 4 years and 35M guaranteed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Not many of these guys are hitting FA though.  Yes the list looks stacked but almost everyone has plenty of cap to resign their own players.  Who realistically hits FA? Barr and Fowler for sure, Flowers maybe. Clark, Clowney, Lawrence all unlikely.

My wish list is Clark, Clowney, Lawrence, Flowers, Barr and Fowler.  We may only have a shot at Barr and Fowler, maybe Flowers but so will a dozen other teams.  

This draft has 4 stud pass rushers.  Not really a fan of passing on one to trade back for a solid LT while passing on a possible stud.  If we land in the top 10 and Bosa, Ferrell, Sweat, Gary all seem like top 10 locks and future 10 sack guys.  I haven't ruled out going Little as an option but he hasn't secured a top 10 spot yet.  This year with this crop for pass rushers trading down is not an option for me.

Ideally for me is we land Fowler, draft one of the stud rushers to pair with him, sign a LG (I like Shaq Mason plus it hurts NE) and trade up with our 3rd rounder to secure one of the top 2 centers (Jenkins/Biadasz) in the late 2nd.  If we did nothing else in the offseason I'd be thrilled, anything else is gravy.  Obviously resign our own important FA's as well.  Just by doing that you revamp the OL outside of LT and go from zero pass rush to dangerous pass rush.  Sure you still need a LT of the future and to upgrade the skill positions but it's great start.

14M for Mason
12-16M for Fowler (not sure what he'll get)
5M for the draft
Resign our FA's and you are probably sitting around 40-45M still and have flexibility.  

At that point then you have the ability to get creative and maybe throw big money at Bell and see if he'll come for 17M a year for 4 years and 35M guaranteed.  

New England already signed Mason for 5 years $50 million. Our only hope is Marpet. He’s a local kid. So we have a chance if we back up the truck. 

I agree on not trading back. My only thing is if Little or Williams show to be top 10 talents, I’m taking one of them. So far they are grading pretty good but it’s early in the season. 

Best bet on edge if we get a D Coordinator that runs the 4-3 is Fowler. Back up the truck for him to.

Edited by SDotNova

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Are there really though?  The best in the class is a major injury risk who has a ton of injuries and just had back surgery.  Little and Williams look solid but top 5 not sure yet.  If a stud pass rusher is there and this looks to be one of those special classes I'd stay pat and take one.  I can live with Beechum for another year if we upgrade LG and C around him.  If Little or Williams solidfy themselves and top LT's worthy of a top 5 pick then by all means take them.  I think trading back for a LT is bad idea though.  If a LT slides to the mid rounds there is a reason.  Take the elite talent top 5 and move on would be my approach.  

I assume we will more than likely get Fowler. We clearly have interest in him if we tried trading for him. So the interest will be there for him in FA. We have money to throw at him too. And I see no way Jacksonville tagging him if they didn’t pickup his 5th year option. So I don’t think edge will be a huge gap for us after free agency. Where as 4 starters on the OLine, RB and WR will still be an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ideally I’d like us to trade down in the first to around the 15-18 range.

Free Agency list:

OG Ali Marpet

OT Jake Fisher

Edge Dante Fowler

TE Jared Cook

WR/RB Tavon Austin

WR Chris Hogan

 

Drafts:

R1: Greg Little

R2: Jalen Hansen

R3: WR/RB

R4: CB

R5: ILB

R7: K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

New England already signed Mason for 5 years $50 million. Our only hope is Marpet. He’s a local kid. So we have a chance if we back up the truck. 

I agree on not trading back. My only thing is if Little or Williams show to be top 10 talents, I’m taking one of them. So far they are grading pretty good but it’s early in the season. 

Best bet on edge if we get a D Coordinator that runs the 4-3 is Fowler. Back up the truck for him to.

Damn they did.  Terrible news.  I was hoping for a nice road grader like him at LG.  

Let's face it we aren't signing anyone.  We aren't backing up the truck for Marpet.  TB has the funds to sign him so it's a long shot.

Fowler is rally the only realistic chance at a big FA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If these LT's are good they aren't lasting to the mid first round that is the problem.  Little will likely be top 10 pick because there are only 2 first round LT prospects, him and Jonah.  With so many other teams looking for OT help doubtful the best OT prospect lasts until mid 1st.  You probably have to be in the top 5-8 to have a shot at whoever emerges as the top LT especially if they are as good a prospect (skill and size wise) as Little.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I assume we will more than likely get Fowler. We clearly have interest in him if we tried trading for him. So the interest will be there for him in FA. We have money to throw at him too. And I see no way Jacksonville tagging him if they didn’t pickup his 5th year option. So I don’t think edge will be a huge gap for us after free agency. Where as 4 starters on the OLine, RB and WR will still be an issue.

Why just because we had interest in trading for him?  Lots of teams with big money to spend and lots of teams always looking for pass rushers.  Signing a big FA is going to be tough and expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A guy I could see us targeting  this year is Noah Fant, Big athletic TE and could be a big 1-2 punch down the line if Herndon develops

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Why just because we had interest in trading for him?  Lots of teams with big money to spend and lots of teams always looking for pass rushers.  Signing a big FA is going to be tough and expensive.

Bc we can outbid teams. And I'm not saying that that's all that matters. But we have that luxury. There's also other names that are fall back options that are answers at edge too like Ray for example. I cant see us missing out on Fowler, Ray and Flowers. But tou never know. We are so far behind the trend on offense I really think any defensive pick we make for the next few years is a mistake in Round 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

If these LT's are good they aren't lasting to the mid first round that is the problem.  Little will likely be top 10 pick because there are only 2 first round LT prospects, him and Jonah.  With so many other teams looking for OT help doubtful the best OT prospect lasts until mid 1st.  You probably have to be in the top 5-8 to have a shot at whoever emerges as the top LT especially if they are as good a prospect (skill and size wise) as Little.  

 

Cajuste, Adams, and David Edwards are all in that mix 2, outside of Jonah at 1 it really is all up in the air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

Cajuste, Adams, and David Edwards are all in that mix 2, outside of Jonah at 1 it really is all up in the air.

I believe Edwards is a RT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×